fishing spot

smerchly

Now ,some ugly news. .....I was going to post this in the environment section but it will get more exposure here . It is about one of our better fishing holes that has been decimated by some obviously well off people who live above the pond . This is the east section of Charles Daley Park where Bruce & I loved to float fish for a large variety of fish every spring . We have posted many pictures of channel cats , dog fish , bass , pike ...you name it ! We also loved this place because there was so much more to see , like the blue & green herons , turles lined up on the logs & frogs galore going through the ruffage along the shoreline that was home to many creatures that could hide along the reeds & submerged branches ....a real natural eco system that has been there for my lifetime and more . Well , today Bruce & I were devestated to see what some millionaire people have done to this natural eco system that made us sick ! Bull dozers have made a circular roadway to the water & filled in much of what was water filled with life ! They encroached into the water & filled it with dirt & stone , cleared out the bank from top to bottom , leaving a few large trees and the rest is mud that is obviously eroding into the water . who the hell let this happen ? It looks like they want to build some kind of structure so they can wine & dine near the water's edge & be closer to nature ?? sic ! We would like to know if these people had permission to rape this place and if they did , on whose authority ? Do the rich have different rules than the average citizen.....? Looking for some feedback as we need some answers .....

heres a few pictures of the once pristine habitat for many creatures of the pond and lush banks where many birds called home.....

shot from the parking lot at Charles Daley Park looking east

Eco%20wrecking%201.jpg

Although we had a great day fishing in another location , this stuff burns my ass !!! Another beautiful nature spot ruined by someone who cares less about the creatures that live around them . I hope to get some answers on this ........

this is the house that did the hack job . Our floats used to catch fish where there is a roadway !

Eco%20wrecking%202.jpg

the road goes back up to the right . Notice the erosion from the mud .....no living creature here !!!

eco%20wrecking%203.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. If they did this illegally or without proper permits then the authority will make them spend a million to fix it if that's what it takes. I know the Niagara Restoration Council won't be happy with this either. This area has been part of a massive wildlife corridor project and this would be counter productive unless......................... you just never know smerch. Perhaps this is part of an accessibility program or something. Lets get some answers before going off the deep end. Wait that spot is pretty shallow isn't it? :rolleyes:

The 15 and 16 mile creeks should be protected. There's not allot of green space left in SC!

Call the NPCA smerch 905-788-3135 and ask for ex 229 Ian Barrett

Thnaks for the info , I'll write those numbers down . Does Ian Barrett look at this web site ? He could read this post and see the pictures and read this report himself .

I took this picture from the same spot last spring . What a differance a year makes ! We will not be seeing this heron sitting on that tree again .......

heron%20april%2009.jpg

The shoreline was lined with shrubs, scrub and other varieties of water plants. Everything that held the soil down was removed. There are no runoff or erosion barriers in place. Even if they had permits, this type of negligence would be considered unacceptable.

I empathise with your anger and frustration, smerch. It's a shame .Can't say I have anything else to say about it really :P . Those people obviously can't see the woods for the trees. Yeah, great idea- Destroy something to be a part of it?? :rolleyes:. Makes me glad there are people like yourself who give a damn

Unfortunately it happens and will continue to happen, in this day and age , sad to say Money Talks, and thats that. Look at the Kawarthas. I remember going up there as a teen and be in the middle of an empty lake and tons of beautiful scenary now its like hollywood gone wild, mansions and cottages side by side. All worth big bucks. Thats just one example.

We need more Conservation areas established where there's signed papers saying this land will stay as is.

This will be interesting to see what the answers will be on whether it was allowed or not.

Where are the "speciality groups" that form protest rallies at the drop of a hat and get wide spread media attention.

whether it was allowed or not is not acceptable and remember what they did to 16 mile creek in Oakville and the developer had to go in and repair the damage.

Unfortunately its too late now but at least you could have the satisfaction of having their actions being brought to public attention.

A few years back a guy who owned a small house which was a much older place built a small dock on Martindale Pond in old Port . Well , he was charged & put through the ringer and made to return the shoreline back to its "natural state" . There was lots of publicity on that one ! His case is a drop in the bucket compared to Daley Park . Lake Ont. is very low now & this is causing the pond at CDP to drain . They need to bank the outflow as it's cut too deep , and the pond should be much higher to help the frogs etc. as they lay their eggs in the flooded reeds & branches at the waters edge . This will not happen now .

Here's a few post on this subject from last May . Scroll down half way to May 18 & you will have some idea of what this place was like . We don't expect to wet the lines there again unless someone can restore this water way back to normal again . It's amazing that one house (mansion) owner can do this to any eco system with no regard to the damage it can do , but as stated , $$$$$$$ talks .

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...=heron&st=0

More pics.

DSCN2964.jpg

DSCN2965.jpg

Notice how all the wood in the water was removed. THe washout lines are all over the slope showing how all that topsoil is washing into the pond.

There is major consequence here. This is a spawning area for large schools of lake run perch, drum, cats, shiners and crappie. Take away the spawning habitat and you destroy those schools.

Look at post #14 above Bruce & see how it was last May . The county had been reckless with this pond lately as they took a dozer to the west side of this pond and cut a swath in the sand to drain water off to accomadate the fire works display , with no regard for the area where the frogs and fish layed their eggs . They just uprooted the brush & heeped it into an ugly pile of mud & plant life....... someone needs to teach the county to respect the eco system .

Guest TC1OZ

I grew up on Dalhousie St in a modest house with waterfront property.... but now its been torn down and another mansion is going up. Its just disgusting what money is doing to Port Dalhousie.... At least I should be able to get one more summer with my son on the carousel in lakeside park before that is destroyed as well.

I hope these efforts bring results!

" but as stated , $$$$$$$ talks "

Hope this jerk has really deep pockets to repair the damage.

Sure hope this gets lots and lots of media attention. If CHCH can do a story on a dead heron caught up in fishing line and point public finger at fisherman its only fair to give scrutiny to major damage that's been done to an environment.

Still think the environmentalists should get involved.

All you folks reading this thread.

Get on the horn and make noise. Call The TIPS hotline. Send e-mails to Mr Barrett at the NPCA. If we all don't make some noise this will besome a done deal.

After getting off the phone with an MNR rep, here are some answers. The DFO and the NPCA have the biggest clout on this problem. There are also aspects that pertain to the MNR regarding removal of aquatic vegetation, dumping, landfill, sedimentation. Let these people know this is bad.

Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out the owner of the new house was a government official of sorts who circumvented all red tape.. :dunno:

This is irrepairable damage to the eco system and wildlife habitat. Get Lauren Sabourin from CHCH down ,she will pounce all over this .

My inlaws have a cottage across from Port Weller marina and they were denied a permit to replace an old stairway that led down to the water..and on top of that they had to remove the old one ...ok I had to...as it was an eyesore all of a sudden..go figure. I would love to see the paperwork on this guys roadway access.

We have to make some noise people..I am sending my email ...now.

I made the call to Mr. Barrett this morning and I'm waiting for a call from him . It's so hard to speak directly with any government offices these days , even with the instant technology we have at our disposal ........and , yes , if we have to go to the news papers we certainly will . I'd be glad to show them a few before and after pictures and take them for a walk with the cameras ! If they had permission to rape this place , I would like to hear the mnr say it's ok with them to rip out the natural beauty of this water way . I know you would not be able to do this anywhere on Martindale pond !

OK did you say they opened the channel and the pond is draining. That would be a collasal idiotic mistake!

That was not the statement. It was stated that, in the past, the Town of Linoln had cut a channel to facilitate drainage to lower the water levels before Canada Day. Nature usually forces open it's own channel when the pond peaks, otherwise where would the water go, and how would the fish get in to spawn.

Otherwise the launch site for their fireworks would be underwater. (aaaawwwwww! :angry2: )

OK did you say they opened the channel and the pond is draining. That would be a collasal idiotic mistake!

The water level of L.Ontario is much lower than usual for the spring runoff and the channel looks too deeply cut which drains the pond too much . I feel this channel should be filled in ....last year there were tractor wheel marks there that opened it up to drain faster . If the pond was sealed up , it would fill to a normal level and nature would then create a natural overflow to the lake to allow lake spawners to enter the pond as they have been doing for many decades . The deepest water in the pond is only about 2 feet now and the spawning beds for the pond fish & reptiles is nothing but mud flats .

chilli ....check your email , I sent you a nice video of this pond ,with a good look at what that shore looked like last year . Hope you can post it for me ....I can't !

Remember the Pond being dredged for the 1999 World Rowing Championships?

I wonder if that set the bar. :angry2:

you are speaking of Martindale Pond Tommy ? I thought they were going to dredge there last fall . I heard the rowers were complaining that their oars were hitting salmon ? ,and weed beds ! I was also told they have a better system to dredge now using big vacuum hoses & machines that catch the sledge & weeds & filter the water back into the pond . The currents will wash the dirty water & contaminants downstream quicky and I believe they would truck away the sledge from Hendley Island ........

Archived