fishing spot

smerchly

Thank you Dan !

The first 3 to 6 seconds of the video show the spot where it is now mud & stone plus the house at top that is responsible for the destruction of this pristine shoreline . Turn up the speakers , the frogs are singing ......nice to have it recorded at least !

And thanks Joe Devlin for the links . I wrote to Ian Barrett who is a biolgist with the mnr . I hope he can do something for us . I told him we have fishing sites like this one that are very concerned and thanks to Bruce , the OFN is informed and clubs like the SCGFA who will be talking about this at the upcoming meeting . I think we are well on the way to getting some answers .......

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is such a shame, the homeowner and the person/company should both be held responsible for this, they have destroyed a very diverse ecosystem. I work in construction and have done many shoreline jobs. In order to do such a job you must posses permits from the town and MNR . A MNR officer will come to the site and also inspect the work to make sure it’s not harming the habitat in any way. I would be extremely shocked if this had the permits and the ok to do so. I hope they are caught for this and are made to restore it to what it once was.

I would be glad to assist in helping to restore that stretch of shorline and put on the waders to plant reeds and old logs & trees to create some of the lost habitat for many critters that once called that home . We will not let this go until we see this restored . Thanks for the replys everyone , we need all the support (noise) we can get & I 'm happy we have Bruce (bigugli) in our corner .....he is very aquainted with our natural resourses and management of our water ways. Please keep the opinions coming , the internet can be a very useful media to spread the word. :worthy:

I would be glad to assist in helping to restore that stretch of shorline and put on the waders to plant reeds and old logs & trees to create some of the lost habitat for many critters that once called that home . We will not let this go until we see this restored . Thanks for the replys everyone , we need all the support (noise) we can get & I 'm happy we have Bruce (bigugli) in our corner .....he is very aquainted with our natural resourses and management of our water ways. Please keep the opinions coming , the internet can be a very useful media to spread the word. :worthy:

If it comes down to doing the restoration ourselves give me a call Bill, I'll come over and give you all a hand. We all know that we have to take care of all the shoreline we have left.

Joe

Thanks Joe , it would have to be through the mnr to help restore that area , if they needed volunteers etc. The SCGFA has a meeting tonight at 7:30 pm and this topic will be addressed . since the weather is ugly today , come out to the meeting and if you can provide some input about this , we will be happy to note all the information we can .

I read elsewhere the NPCA is unwilling to step into this issue. Anyone care to elaborate? Do we have the address of this property or the homeowners name?

Why do I get the impression there's something NOT QUITE RIGHT HERE if this is the case ;)

Ian Barrett called my today and asked if I knew when they began removing the landscape & I didn't know the exact time it began . He stated that there is a statute of limitations of about 6 months when you can successfully prosecute offenders of the environment ! I told him we would be discussing this at the SCGFA & Bruce did a fine job presenting this to them & getting the club to write up a letter to send out to various people .One fellow at the meeting said he saw the carnage from his boat while fishing in the lake & said it was late September . That could mean this statute of limitations has expired & nothing can be done ??? I cannot accept that ,and we have more options that are being persued, but we need to give the NPCA some time to investigate . We will be approaching more people in the next few days . I would like to see some well known environmentalists take a look at this ...Ann Yagi (sp) name came up as someone who would be very interested in this .We will post any news on this to keep this thread alive.... and thanks to the guys on the OFN as well , they have a very large interest in this also , after all , this affects everyone who enjoys the out doors and natures wonders ........

HEY LETS HANG THE HOME OWNERS RESPOSIBLE FOR THIS FROM THE NEAREST TREE !!! HURRY BEFORE THEY CUT ALL OF THE TREES DOWN! LOL SORRY BUT THIS CANT BE RIGHT IT TOOK ME TWO YEARS TO GET APROVAL UP NORTH TO TO PUT IN A LAUNCH AT MY COTTAGE .IF THIS LEGAL IM NOT TAKIN MY HAPPY PILLS ANYMORE AND THATS NOT GOOD.LOL

Tqlk about getting approval etc, I listened to a talk show on CKTB radio today about the Shickluna Dam site proposal and there's a big concern about the fish ladder to allow eels to get to their spawning grounds and much concern about water levels and damage to the eco system etc. Take a look at all the departments involved concerning this important fishery . Environment people are very concerned with this project and we sure would like to get their attention on our eco concerns ........

take a look and see how altering the water ways can affect the eco system in so many ways......

http://www.waterkeeper.ca/images/Comment-L...-March-2010.pdf

Thank you Ollie ! I should have found that info on the net instead of repeating what was told to me via telephone ! I can't spell either .....I know it is "statute" of limitations , it's the way its pronounced . Thanks for taking the time to post this , we need all the info we can get .

Information has now been forwarded to the OFAH.

Again, I cannot stress strongly enough the urgency of this matter and the implications to everyone fishing L Ontario and its tributaries.

Please take the time to rattle a few chains and express the need to have this problem resolved to the benefit of the fishery.

The following MPPs have ridings which border the pond, and could press our cause with the MNR

jbradley.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

timhudak@niagara.net

Below is the MP responsible for the riding who could press our cause with the DFO

info@deanallison.ca

You can also e-mail the MNR, DFO, and NPCA

Big thanks to Bill and Bruce for bringing this troubling item to attention......Is terrible to see what this landowner has done....have fished this area in the past and is such a tranquil place with so much natural beauty.....there is not much left in Niagara that is somewhat un touched......I just hope that the right thing happens here .If there is anything I can do I will be there.......have to look through my picture archives.....might have some pictures from when I fished that area....keep up the fight gang......

Good fishing. Scottydog

Hello Guys

I have posted on our website and we will add our voice to yours .

Lorne Morley

Provincial Chairman Carp Anglers Group

Please post any contact information you have so that I can pass it on.

The Minister of Natural resourses:

#200 - 4800 Dundas St W

Toronto ON M9A 1B1

Tel : 416-234-2800

Fax : 416-234-2276

dcansfield.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

St. Catharines MPP

Hon James J. Bradley - Contact Information jbradley.mpp@liberal.ola.org

Ministry Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

17th Floor

777 Bay Street

Toronto, Ontario M5G 2E5

Tel 416-585-7000

Fax 416-585-6470

Tim Hudak MPP Niagara West/ Glanbrook

http://www.timhudakmpp.com/contact

Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans

Minister

Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca <Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

If you guys don't act this will get buried in paperwork.

Kudos to Smerchly for bringing this to our attention and everyone else chipping in to help bring justice to the situation. I feel helpless with the situation...I don't have any contacts or connections that would be useful...what can the average angler do besides spreading the word about what has taken place?

Phil

Welcome Franchise ! Bigugli and I were fishing together when we decided to make some noise and Bruce has been getting more done than I . He knows more about this stuff and knows who to contact and can speak his piece very well ,and I thank him for all he's done .I have several pictures I took yesterday & will post some of them eventually . This picture was taken last spring of Bruce with a catfish . Every inch of the shoreline behind him is now mud ....and an equal amount to the right side of this picture is mud ! Notice the 3 trees at the top right , 2 close together and one to the left & 2 fresh stumps near the water . Then , compare the 2 nd picture below and find the same three trees just right of center, and you can see most of the damaged shoreline.....

Bruce%20cat%20CDP.jpg

CDP%201..jpg

I got another call from the NPCA , different fellowthis time who basically said the same thing as Ian Barrett & he also spoke about the 6 month statute . I told him about the 2 year statute in the fisheries act & he said that is a different jurisdiction ......so , it looks like we need to contact them or anyone else who can get some answers . Thanks you Hammer for the numbers , I'll call them tomorrow morning .

Neither the Ontario Regulation 155/06 nor the Conservation Authorities Act mention a six month Statute of limitations

that I can find.

Anyone notice the fisheries statute states that they may take action " at any time within but not later than two years after

the time when the Minister became aware of the subject-matter of the proceedings." The NPCA is passing the buck it

seems, too bad considering they are the front line protection in this area for such things.

Kudos to Smerchly for bringing this to our attention and everyone else chipping in to help bring justice to the situation. I feel helpless with the situation...I don't have any contacts or connections that would be useful...what can the average angler do besides spreading the word about what has taken place?

Phil

Send e-mails, or write, to the MPP's and MP listed previously in the thread: Bradley, Hudak, Allison.

Voice your concern to the MNR through an e-mail

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/.

If you are an OFAH member, or memnber of any outdoor club, ask them to take action.

Archived