fishing spot

smerchly

Now ,some ugly news. .....I was going to post this in the environment section but it will get more exposure here . It is about one of our better fishing holes that has been decimated by some obviously well off people who live above the pond . This is the east section of Charles Daley Park where Bruce & I loved to float fish for a large variety of fish every spring . We have posted many pictures of channel cats , dog fish , bass , pike ...you name it ! We also loved this place because there was so much more to see , like the blue & green herons , turles lined up on the logs & frogs galore going through the ruffage along the shoreline that was home to many creatures that could hide along the reeds & submerged branches ....a real natural eco system that has been there for my lifetime and more . Well , today Bruce & I were devestated to see what some millionaire people have done to this natural eco system that made us sick ! Bull dozers have made a circular roadway to the water & filled in much of what was water filled with life ! They encroached into the water & filled it with dirt & stone , cleared out the bank from top to bottom , leaving a few large trees and the rest is mud that is obviously eroding into the water . who the hell let this happen ? It looks like they want to build some kind of structure so they can wine & dine near the water's edge & be closer to nature ?? sic ! We would like to know if these people had permission to rape this place and if they did , on whose authority ? Do the rich have different rules than the average citizen.....? Looking for some feedback as we need some answers .....

heres a few pictures of the once pristine habitat for many creatures of the pond and lush banks where many birds called home.....

shot from the parking lot at Charles Daley Park looking east

Eco%20wrecking%201.jpg

Although we had a great day fishing in another location , this stuff burns my ass !!! Another beautiful nature spot ruined by someone who cares less about the creatures that live around them . I hope to get some answers on this ........

this is the house that did the hack job . Our floats used to catch fish where there is a roadway !

Eco%20wrecking%202.jpg

the road goes back up to the right . Notice the erosion from the mud .....no living creature here !!!

eco%20wrecking%203.jpg

Wow! What a friggin mess. That's just plain sad.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ This is Sad! I would think with all you 2 do for the area, this would get taken more seriously. Hope they do the right thing, a lot of ppl are watching this thread and it sets an example!

A small ray of light has appeared among the dark clouds. The OFAH will be taking an interest in this problem.

From awolrj

"^ This is Sad! I would think with all you 2 do for the area, this would get taken more seriously. Hope they do the right thing, a lot of ppl are watching this thread and it sets an example!"

It is sad, but this cannot just be about 2 person's efforts. It is not enough. Govts work on the basis of risk assessment. A big part of that is political risks. If people remain quiet, then there is no political risk and no need to act.

People on this "Niagara" forum neeed to speak loudly. The links to local MPP's have been listed. If you are an OFAH member, tell the OFAH. Fire off e-mails to the NPCA,DFO and MNR.

Let them know that more than a handful are watching.

^ Its the weekend, but I hope something get's done this week about. Taking this long to have an answer is crap, I think it should be put out on the news so ppl can see what money can do for ya. If this was any other land owner it probaly would be all over the news making the MNR look like heroes arresting the guy and make a big circus about it, but since this guy has money he has more power then our Government or Elected Officials. I don't think that's a Democracy....

^ Its the weekend, but I hope something get's done this week about. Taking this long to have an answer is crap, I think it should be put out on the news so ppl can see what money can do for ya. If this was any other land owner it probaly would be all over the news making the MNR look like heroes arresting the guy and make a big circus about it, but since this guy has money he has more power then our Government or Elected Officials. I don't think that's a Democracy....

What democracy lol....long gone , that why half the pop. quit voting . I agree the news media should soon be asked to do a story on this . Laura Saborin likes this kind of stuff and I hope we can get her to get this on the CH news and show the people of this province how impotent our government can be when they question people of influence .........We can run off a bunch of "before & after" pictures at clubs and many public places . Sometimes . publicity gets a lot more people interested ....and the internet is just a start ! I'll post 2 pictures tonight for anyone to copy and print ......we need a lot more exposer on this......

Either way Smerch it proves to me that it's hopeless to try and help, when the average person can't even get a response from the Government it's not for the people anymore it's for the rich. So the way I feel the Rich can fight the wars, the rich can clean up the world, they don't need my help. We need a new Robin Hood!

What democracy lol....long gone , that why half the pop. quit voting . I agree the news media should soon be asked to do a story on this . Laura Saborin likes this kind of stuff and I hope we can get her to get this on the CH news and show the people of this province how impotent our government can be when they question people of influence .........We can run off a bunch of "before & after" pictures at clubs and many public places . Sometimes . publicity gets a lot more people interested ....and the internet is just a start ! I'll post 2 pictures tonight for anyone to copy and print ......we need a lot more exposer on this......

A democracy is having the right to vote for change. When you don't vote you must be satisfied the way things are run or you don't care. Complaining on a public forun just gets other stirring the pot. Do your complaining at the polls.

One day, somebody's gotta make a stand. One day, somebody's gotta say enough. If I do this, I do it as a man.

That one day is today. NOW! Not somebody. ME, YOU, anybody you know.

I've been down this road before and it is not easy, but... It can be fixed. It will be fixed if people just stand up and publicly raise their voice. Voicing your opinion behind an Acronym does nothing. From a public perspective you are still hiding behind a shield of anonymity. They don't have to take you seriously. When they see real names addies and votes, they wake up.

By tonite I will post a draft letter for all to copy paste and flood the web and the govt e-mails with. with.

This post was originated on Mar 19 and here we are at April 11 with no real concrete response from any of the groups contacted except for maybe the DFO who "are looking into it" :worthy:

Should backtrack a bit----NPC has a six month statute they're hiding behind----MNR not an issue for them :worthy:

Gawd knows there was enough outrage at the beginning that you would have thought it would have lit a fire under somebodies a$$ but no----it seems to have died a quiet death and maybe months from now we'll say "remember that post about the destruction of habitat"-----wadda about it????

I dont know about Bruce/Bill who started all this :P:worthy: but I would certainly be feeling frustrated the way this thing seems to be swept under the carpet.

It's hard to get a decent shot taken from a video . I stopped the video & got a shot to edit and found the camera will get different lighting depending on how low or high from the center of the screen it is . This is the best I could get after several takes . The first shot is what the shore line looked like last spring , and the second shot is the present time . I would like a print of these two shots on the same page and get 10000 copies if I could afford to.....but a dozen or so will be a good start and post them in good locations.

Charles Daley Park ,May 2009

cdp%20movie%20shot.jpg

Charles Daley Park ,March 2010

CDP%20aftermath.jpg

I got a reply from Tim Hudak's office, which among other things, stated: "I have attached the following correspondence we received yesterday from John Kukalis, Director of Water Management with the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority"

that attachment is as follows:

"Dear Dave:

Thank you for your email of April 12, 2010.

With respect to the above, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place . NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly,

John Kukalis,

Director of Water Management

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

250 Thorold Road West, 3rd Floor

Welland, ON, L3C 3W2

phone: (905) 788-3135 ext. 232

fax: (905) 788-1121

www.npca.ca"

Not bad!

Guest TC1OZ
I got a reply from Tim Hudak's office, which among other things, stated: "I have attached the following correspondence we received yesterday from John Kukalis, Director of Water Management with the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority"

that attachment is as follows:

"Dear Dave:

Thank you for your email of April 12, 2010.

With respect to the above, please be advised that the owners of the property you have referenced are currently in discussions with NPCA with a view to implementing restoration. As of this writing our Regulation Officer has advised that some interim sediment control measures have already been put in place . NPCA has and will continue to pursue satisfactory restoration and resolve of this matter, by the most expedient and legal means available to us.

Yours truly,

John Kukalis,

Director of Water Management

Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority

250 Thorold Road West, 3rd Floor

Welland, ON, L3C 3W2

phone: (905) 788-3135 ext. 232

fax: (905) 788-1121

www.npca.ca"

Not bad!

Something is better than nothing! Grats!

Yes the silt screens are up after further erosion from the last rains.

DSCN2982.jpg

DSCN2983.jpg

DSCN2981.jpg

On an added note, the e-mail campaigh has made the front page of WFN's Ambassador blogs. This information is now being shared with 4 other forums.

Guest TC1OZ
On an added note, the e-mail campaigh has made the front page of WFN's Ambassador blogs. This information is now being shared with 4 other forums.

I saw that on the front page of WFN, I think it was my comment on the article that pushed it to the front page B) hahahaha

Thanks TC , that sure was a boost for our cause . I checked it out and I know it will get lots of attention there . It looks promising Bruce , it's a start . I hope they do a good job restoring it back to a working eco system . They know we will be watching . If you check the shoreline closely on the far west bank of the pond about 100 yds. from the service road , there is netting buried along the bank from years past to stop erosion . It would be nice if they could clean out some of the junk thrown in there that isn't natural fish habitat like the old remnants of a vehicle near the bridge & old steel chairs, etc. (not good for canoeists & yaks)

Guys the wheels are in motion here. They have been in motion since the first call to the TIPS line. The silt curtain is a result of the first call so props to whoever called TIPS and got the ball rolling. From what I've been told there is a full blown investigative process in action by at least 3 different agencies and the owners are co-operating. This is going to be rectified and had it not been called into TIPS and logged it may have been blown off by the NGO's but now it can't be.

So who was the one who called the TIPS line regarding this?

BTW guys when the owner did this clean out how much fishing garbage do you think they hauled out? Despite his ignorance of his actions he must have found it ironic that it was anglers who forced good environmental practices on him. Perhaps it's now time to start suggesting ways to right this wrong by suggesting ways to reverse the damage. Should we replace the shopping carts and trash or plant trilliums and haul in some drift wood etc :Gonefishing:

Guys the wheels are in motion here. They have been in motion since the first call to the TIPS line. The silt curtain is a result of the first call so props to whoever called TIPS and got the ball rolling. From what I've been told there is a full blown investigative process in action by at least 3 different agencies and the owners are co-operating. This is going to be rectified and had it not been called into TIPS and logged it may have been blown off by the NGO's but now it can't be.

So who was the one who called the TIPS line regarding this?

BTW guys when the owner did this clean out how much fishing garbage do you think they hauled out? Despite his ignorance of his actions he must have found it ironic that it was anglers who forced good environmental practices on him. Perhaps it's now time to start suggesting ways to right this wrong by suggesting ways to reverse the damage. Should we replace the shopping carts and trash or plant trilliums and haul in some drift wood etc :Gonefishing:

Both your Dad and I made the calls. As for trash, there would only have been the floating trash you find everywhere, as that side of the pond has not had public access in well over 20 years. There are parts of the pond adjoining the Service road that could use a concerted effort to make things better. That however would also require a few requisite permits, biologist input, municipal and stakeholder commitment. That may have to wait a bit.

I think public stakeholders will wait to see how this ends before committing themselves to a program. Also, Mr Kukalis of the NPCA and I have a bad history from years back.It is probably why I have had zero contact from the NPCA and why there have been subtle suggestions that we be quiet.

The biggest problem is plastic , mostly water bottles that get carried by wind and water .Anglers leave some garbage and many others also have no respect for our environment . That shoreline was full of old fallen trees , logs , reeds , brush other aquaic plants . It must have been a chore to remove all that natural eco system and haul away all the larger logs etc . Many people walk their dogs or just stroll the beach right into the late fall . They must have seen what was being done to this shoreline , yet no one made a complaint or inquiry ! Maybe they could care less if they build a condo there :unsure: . Many thanks to the people who did their part to get this resolved . The internet can be a friend if used properly and it's clear to me that members of fishing sites have shown they care about our environment . We all want our kids to enjoy the out of doors like we have and teach them to leave if clean for their kids ..........abuse it , lose it . :Gonefishing:

Unofficially, things are happening towards a good conclusion. We have attracted a lot of attention to the 15 Mile Creek and the problem there. Action has been taken and, I believe, will continue to take place.

Archived