First kayak fishing of the year

Dan Andrews

Well I hut the River in the yak today. Launched in an East wind from Waverly in Fort Erie. It was tough though because the East wind has the water sitting to low the shoreline was quite a bit further out. I had to walk a ways in the water just to get deep enough. What allot of boaters don't realize is that this lake has a very gradual drop and plenty of flats and reefs just below the water. An east wind can reveal some of the rocks hazards but you should always keep an eye out for "flat water" when the breeze has the rest of the Lake rippled.

008-2.jpg

These rocks my yak are on are well off shore

There are still lots of divers on the Upper.

017-1.jpg

Does anyone know what the following picture is of and what it is for?

018-1.jpg

I had Nicholl's all to myself

019.jpg

Actually I seemed to have the entire Upper to myself with the exception of a few shore anglers near the Peace Bridge.

024-2.jpg

Can't wait for tomorrow so I can do it again but perhaps I'll hook into at least one fish :D

Oh ya and the cormorants are back and getting thicker by the day :D

are they any good to eat? all the young fish they consume they're probably tasty little buggers. I used to think they were neat, until i realized just how much they eat.

what type of fish are you targeting in the yak chilli? i saw a sea do rigged up with metal tubing at the back running dipsy divers last year in georgian bay i thought that was neat, looks like with the right wind you would get quite the work out paddling

Chilli by chance was that third pic taken on the US side of the river?

If so it looks like an intake to one of the creeks that run through buff.

Fort Erie right off the Legion. There are two grates up in the park above that you can see the water in when it is higher. Right now there's no water going in because the water is so low!

Archived