Skull ID ?

Guest Rockfish

Guest Rockfish

Found this while out fishin' yesterday and yes someone had put it in a tree. Google search and the size of it came up as a muskrat but very similar to a common rat ? The pics are so similar in google images it's hard to tell but it would have been a pretty big rat. :rolleyes:

skull.jpg

Dave .....I think that is a muskrat skull . I posted a picture of an identical skull that I found moose hunting near Thunder Bay a few years ago . I thought you seen it sitting on the old aquarium book shelf . I googled up "rodent skulls ontario" and found this right on top .........

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%26tbs%3Disch:1

Guest Rockfish
Dave .....I think that is a muskrat skull . I posted a picture of an identical skull that I found moose hunting near Thunder Bay a few years ago . I thought you seen it sitting on the old aquarium book shelf .

I don't remember seeing it at your place Bill and I figured it must be a muskrat. It is missing a top part of the skull when I searched through images where the nose would be.

just got back from catching 30 worms in 5 minutes :rolleyes: ........Yes Dave , I posted the skull and was also looking for an answer . I thought it might be a mink or otter since it was way out in the boonies near Arrow Lake which runs along the Minnesota border . I dunked it in a bleach/water bath for an hour and cleaned it up nice & white .

the beaver skull has the same coloured teeth but the shull is rounder & stronger.......

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=e...sa=N&tab=iw

Guest Rockfish

It was about 2.5 " long and I thought it was too big to be a rat but curious as to how similar the google images are between rat and muskat. Just like anything on the net I figure google images for common rat are not accurate or only a DNA test will solve it. :)

Even the skull of a rat is dependant on sub specie and race. Ive seen right big rats in the Toronto underground. 3 foot is no exaggeration. Hence the difficulty in distinguishing apart from a muskrat.

Guest Rockfish
Even the skull of a rat is dependant on sub specie and race. Ive seen right big rats in the Toronto underground. 3 foot is no exaggeration. Hence the difficulty in distinguishing apart from a muskrat.

Three feet long common rats ??? Are u not kidding Bruce ??? :) Must be from eating those 3" city cockroaches down there and not the South American type either.

I've seen some huge rats at gate 12

The biggest rats in the country reside in Ottawa :D ! The rats in T.O. are fedwells ....too much monsodium glutemate from Chinese food ! :) My yard rats are apple flavoured , they love my delicious apple tree ......but somehow they all end up dead ! :P

Three feet long common rats ??? Are u not kidding Bruce ??? :) Must be from eating those 3" city cockroaches down there and not the South American type either.

Sewer rats can be massive. Length does count from nose to tail with tail as 50% of length.

I have one of those, and strongly believe it to be a muskrat, since you found it near water.. did you notice the entire deer skeleton on the opposite side from where your picture was taken?

267.jpg

I don't think it's a muskrat. I found a picture of one.

Muskrat%20Skulls%20Lg.jpg

Found this while out fishin' yesterday and yes someone had put it in a tree. Google search and the size of it came up as a muskrat but very similar to a common rat ? The pics are so similar in google images it's hard to tell but it would have been a pretty big rat. :)

skull.jpg

Guest Rockfish
I have one of those, and strongly believe it to be a muskrat, since you found it near water.. did you notice the entire deer skeleton on the opposite side from where your picture was taken?

We didn't try fishing on that side and I'll take a look next time I go, cool find.

I don't think it's a muskrat. I found a picture of one.

Muskrat%20Skulls%20Lg.jpg

Like I said the skull I found is missing a top part of bone where the nose would be and the 2 front yellow teeth do match up with muskat and common rat images. I was just guessing on the measurement and it was between 2.5 - 3" long, that's why I figured it was too big to be a rat until Bruce told me about sewer rats, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still, pretty cool picture nonetheless.

I love finding little things like that, even if they are sort of creepy in a Blair Witch kind of way. :Gonefishing:

We didn't try fishing on that side and I'll take a look next time I go, cool find.

Like I said the skull I found is missing a top part of bone where the nose would be and the 2 front yellow teeth do match up with muskat and common rat images. I was just guessing on the measurement and it was between 2.5 - 3" long, that's why I figured it was too big to be a rat until Bruce told me about sewer rats, lol.

Archived