Baptiste Lake

Skunker

I'm planning a trip to Baptiste Lake (outside of Bancroft) around mid June this year and was wondering if anybody has ever fished it before. Walleye will be our main target fish and pike also. Any tips or spots would be appreciated. I heard that the Northern part of the lake is quite good. We will be staying at the middle of the south shore.

Thanks in advance.

Skunker - sorry to say this but you should target other lakes. We used to have a cottage across from Millionaires Island near the town of Baptiste in the deepest part of the lake. Walleye, smallmouth bass, and musky fishing used to be excellent about 20 years ago (as was the lake trout fishing).

Last year we rented a cottage on the north part of the lake just a few minutes from the deep bay. Since the pike invaded the lake, the walleye populations have almost become non-existant. After fishing for 5 days, I never caught a single walleye while I normally caught upwards of 5 per day in the past (when I was a wee lad). Lots of pike and smallies, but lots of hammerhandles that would hit almost anything. Largest pike I caught was only about 8lbs.

If you are fishing for pike, I've got two good spots for you. The first being when you head to the west end of the lake past Millionaires Island towards the channel that gets you to Elephant Lake. Just as you exit the main bay just west of Millionaires Island towards Elephant Lake, that is a great spot (weedy). The next spot is on the north portion of the lake as you head towards the dam on the northeast part of the lake. There are numerous stumps, shoals, and points which hold lots of pike. Hope this helps.

Boots

Guest Gill Finigan

I've fished Baptiste several times. Never targeted walleye, but it's loaded with bass and pike. Any weeds with deep water close by and you'll be fighting the pike off. From what i hear the narrows that lead to the northern section is good for walleye. My buddys cottage is in west bay. We never have to venture out of the bay much. We hammered the pike and bass in there plus a few muskies. I've caught a few nice eyes on the lake while bassin so there are some good eyes around. My avatar is a baptiste largie

you should go a week later (bass season) and target the bass, big bass abound in this lake as well as millions of 1 lbers. never saw a walleye the week i was up there but than again i was mostly flippin docks, shallow weeds, lily pads and tons of stumps. did get quite a few pike and a couple of muskie, a lot of our pike were in west bay i believe, is that the bay when you go right in there is all them stumps every where, i was throwing a small crankbait and got several largies and pike in there. good luck, john.

you should go a week later (bass season) and target the bass, big bass abound in this lake as well as millions of 1 lbers. never saw a walleye the week i was up there

Thanks for the info. May have to alter plans.

14289[/snapback]

benoir is in around there....these lakes in haliburton are just beautiful ... and yes lots of pike in baptiste.

Guest Stasbrute

Yes going when bass season is open is better ill be up there the first week in july, cant wait, the bass fishing is real good lm and sm however the pike are in there thick now although last year i only got one pike and tons of bass one walleye, was up the first week in july, shoals for smallies and shallow cover for largies typical bass stuff. apparentely there has been a walleye stocking program in place for a couple of years now (you will see signs posted re catch and release) anyway have fun

Archived