Why I love hunting

blind.jpg

037-1.jpg

027.jpg

030-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

This last one is of the ultimate blind. There are 10-15 year old trees in it's tracks so it's been there awhile. Unfortunately the bathroom doesn't work anymore :D

Superbowl XXV was 1991. So that bus has been there a while. That was the game lost in the last second by Scott Norwood who missed a field goal attempt that would have won it. So your bus isn't just a good blind, its a little piece of history, probably parked there by some dejected Bill's fan who couldn't bear to be reminded.

great post Dan, i hope you fed that 6 legged blood sucker to the nuthatch.

8 legged; they're an arachnid!

I picked about twenty off me in the tree and they reached my neck just as Tom showed up across the field. No way I could sit still. When I got back to the car I picked off about another 20. As soon as I removed my coat they made a beeline for my neck. I itch for days after a hunt like that but I just can't stay out of the field.

Coachman I thought of that as soon as I saw the bus. That must have been a lonely trip back over the border after that game. It looks like the cab has been occupied by coyotes.

Dan,

Now that I've seen your pic of that bus, I can better appreciate the shotgun "acoustics" issue you have with that location! :D

Do you always bring a piece of tail with you into the woods? ;)

Dan,

Now that I've seen your pic of that bus, I can better appreciate the shotgun "acoustics" issue you have with that location! :D

Do you always bring a piece of tail with you into the woods? ;)

The vented barrel does not help either.

I keep the tail on hand and pin it to my deer decoy or target deer. Just makes it look more believable.

I loved the outdoors, until I took sick and really can't see why anyone would put themselves in a situation that might make them really sick. Lyme tests come back negative more often than not, unless you wanna pay $600 USD for a good blood test. I got sick just after visiting Navy Island. I did the tick looksee , never spotted and but I have all the symptoms of it. Did the test.....came back negative ( go figure ) I am by no means anti hunting, just anti putting yourself at risk

Well said doc , our medical system is falling behind the world . I am losing confidence in our health care & know a few of my friends who went to the USA for tests & mri's etc . It would be worth the $$$ to get tested in the USA . & our OHIP should help pay , & you pay the difference in costs . Many of us spray /rub bug repellant on our skin for black flies & mosquitos . That stuff should work for tics also ? I have fished & hunted for over 40 yrs. & have never noticed a tic on my skin or clothes . I would not be hunting if I could not keep those blood sucking little varmits away from me ! They give me the willies :lol: . I don't think turkeys have a good sense of smell so the repellant shoudn't interfere with the hunt .....but having bugs crawling up my neck will have me dancing and the turks flying in two directions !

I recall a Warrant Officer we had when I was in the military. We'd be in the field swatting flies and being miserable even though we were bathed in DEET. The bugs never seemed to bother him. One day I got around to asking him why.

He told me it was garlic! He claimed that he ate about a full bulb of fresh garlic every day (cooked in his meals of course). So I tried it myself. I can't claim to eat a full bulb a day, but I use a lot of it. I can't recall when I last had a bug bite. I don't know if it will repel ticks, but mosquitoes and black flies don't seem to care for it.

I recall a Warrant Officer we had when I was in the military. We'd be in the field swatting flies and being miserable even though we were bathed in DEET. The bugs never seemed to bother him. One day I got around to asking him why.

He told me it was garlic! He claimed that he ate about a full bulb of fresh garlic every day (cooked in his meals of course). So I tried it myself. I can't claim to eat a full bulb a day, but I use a lot of it. I can't recall when I last had a bug bite. I don't know if it will repel ticks, but mosquitoes and black flies don't seem to care for it.

I use garlic in everything I cook, no bloodsuckers, but I never really had a problem with them. Angelo says only Deet with stop them from biting. He is sponsored by Muskol

You can buy garlic paste in a jar . You can spread it on your peanut butter sandwhich or rub it on your bod & clothing if you wish . You will have to get used to living alone though ........ :lol:

Superbowl XXV was 1991. So that bus has been there a while. That was the game lost in the last second by Scott Norwood who missed a field goal attempt that would have won it. So your bus isn't just a good blind, its a little piece of history, probably parked there by some dejected Bill's fan who couldn't bear to be reminded.

great story to go along with the pic!

You can buy garlic paste in a jar . You can spread it on your peanut butter sandwhich or rub it on your bod & clothing if you wish . You will have to get used to living alone though ........ :lol:

A recipe for wife be gone,LOL.I ll give it a go,to stop her rant.LOLGarlic and peanut butter,HMMM im sure a little critter will talk to me,or a skinky old bear.LOL

So apparently this thread has turned into iron chef niagara, but I have to agree with what makes hunting so great. Everything except those stupid ticks. I was finding them poking around 3 days after I was out on friday! I found one lounging in my hat when I was grocery shopping on monday. P.S. NOT the same hat I was wearing friday.

This makes me feel paranoid , talking about ticks . I know they are out there where I fish but I haven't seen one yet . :worthy: I have been working in the yard & garden and have a bite on my arm , a little itchy & a small bump . I have been bitten by black fies here & possibly a spider or other insect . The problem is , it "could" be a tick . There are a LOT more deer in Niagara now & as Chili's vid.showed , mice can carry the Lymes disease .....and I saw a mouse under a 6 x 6 in the yard today . If there are no symptoms showing on the skin , one wouldn't have a clue if infected until sickness set in & even then you would have to suspect Lymes disease & push the doctor for tests . They call Lupis a disease of a thousand faces.......and Lymes disease seems to be more complicated . It's a hard call to suspect one might have this disease & harder yet to confirm .......

btw ....game birds are lousy ....meaning , they have lice which some may think are ticks .I believe ticks go for animal/human skin rather than birds .....but I'm not sure on that one either ! I'm going to be itchy all night......... :lol:

Why not garlic and peanut butter? Ever try peanut Satay?

Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce

That recipe looks good ! And it is healthy as well . It said to soak the skewers in water (to keep from burning) . I have metal ones that eliminates that problem & I believe the metal skewers pick up a lot of heat & help cook the inside faster .

Archived