Upper Niagara Steelhead/walleye

Dan Andrews

I hit the upper at 5:30am to search for walleye. I had everything in my arsenal except worms and I worked hard only to land two sheepshead. Same thing a couple of nights ago.

However I did spot a school of the biggest steelhead I've ever seen. I would have never expected to see them there. They were in a very flat shallow spot that is better for shore guys than a boat. Even my kayak quietly drifting got the nervous but if I knew how to fly fish I would have headed for shore and returned later. If it hadn't been for a strong East wind this morning I would have never had gone in close in that area either.

So the steelies are still in a wow were there ever some whoppers!

Now I'm going back out but I'm hitting the round house for Walters. Has anyone caught any yet or has anyone tried and failed? The last thing I want are more sheepshead. Those are easy to get.

Upper is still stacked with bait. I haven't seen perch caught in a while and there was a pile of gobies on the dock this morning. Catching bait is a sinch off the boat launch with a small minnow dip net. The green moss is just starting to become a problem but not much of a hassle yet.

:)

I hit the upper at 5:30am to search for walleye. I had everything in my arsenal except worms and I worked hard only to land two sheepshead. Same thing a couple of nights ago.

However I did spot a school of the biggest steelhead I've ever seen. I would have never expected to see them there. They were in a very flat shallow spot that is better for shore guys than a boat. Even my kayak quietly drifting got the nervous but if I knew how to fly fish I would have headed for shore and returned later. If it hadn't been for a strong East wind this morning I would have never had gone in close in that area either.

So the steelies are still in a wow were there ever some whoppers!

Now I'm going back out but I'm hitting the round house for Walters. Has anyone caught any yet or has anyone tried and failed? The last thing I want are more sheepshead. Those are easy to get.

Upper is still stacked with bait. I haven't seen perch caught in a while and there was a pile of gobies on the dock this morning. Catching bait is a sinch off the boat launch with a small minnow dip net. The green moss is just starting to become a problem but not much of a hassle yet.

:worthy:

Hi Dan,

Fishing from shore? Where in Upper Niagara is this? Please let me know.

Only two sheepshead? I'd give up a walleye or bass any day for one of those! :worthy:

nice report!

We caught some nice walleye last night and there had to be at least 6-7 boats trolling around also. BTW we were on shore, sorry no posting pics of pics in the spots that's to easy to catch them from besides there was 8 other guys there. If you can find the spot your more then welcome to join us :angry:

Cayaking and fishing.............. You always win!

The workout alone will increase few number more years to your life.............so you can fish more.

Wait till you catch sheephead reaching more than 10 lber weight, than your heartbeat will be pumping.

You could walk to the spot from this spot. I think both spots are good spots :wacko:

When you don't tell a person a spot is one thing but when you say things that tease them is another. The two of you should have more class . AS for me I know were you are fishing and could care less. Not my type of fishing. :angry::blush:

The only class I know has a school of fish in it :tease: You getting your boat out soon NIck :wacko: Stop by the canal on sunday if your notdoing anything.

I'll start next week and should see you on Sunday :angry::blush:

Archived