Carp Today

The Ketchican Kid

Goldfish or goldfish/carp hybryd.

How can i tell?

Lateral line, no barbels and a different mouth.

I hate those damn things, fight like carp for 10 seconds, then its a boot. Sucks!

youve got it, i was really dissapointed in the shortness of the fight!

thanx :P

Carp / goldfish hybrid for sure...To bad it wasen't a buff, they are so rare around here. Those fish are fun to catch if you size things down and use a light float rod-Lot's of fun and a lot more fight! B)

Looks even like it could be a grass carp. They don't look much different from regular carp, but they have a normal fish mouth, and a longer(ish) dorsal fin. If it WAS a grass carp, they're great eating (no hook bones down the ribs). Word of warning, though. Don't try to fillet them with an electric knife. The rib bones of a grass carp are almost four times the size of any other fish. (I caught one that weighed in at 30 pounds, and the rib bones, at the spine, were almost 8mm across.)

Looks even like it could be a grass carp. They don't look much different from regular carp, but they have a normal fish mouth, and a longer(ish) dorsal fin. If it WAS a grass carp, they're great eating (no hook bones down the ribs). Word of warning, though. Don't try to fillet them with an electric knife. The rib bones of a grass carp are almost four times the size of any other fish. (I caught one that weighed in at 30 pounds, and the rib bones, at the spine, were almost 8mm across.)

It can't be a grass carp ( white armur )as there are none in Ontario waters. They're actually not 'carp' at all. They look simular but not the same fish as the bighead carp or the silver carp that are causing the damage in the USA. It's the common carp and the mirror carp in our waters.

grass20carp.jpg

A grass carp

It can't be a grass carp ( white armur )as there are none in Ontario waters. They're actually not 'carp' at all. They look simular but not the same fish as the bighead carp or the silver carp that are causing the damage in the USA. It's the common carp and the mirror carp in our waters.

grass20carp.jpg

A grass carp

Well, they're still great grilled. Thanks for the correction. Wasn't sure if you guys had them this far north. I know they infest Lake Michigan around Chicago, so thought there could be a chance they got up here.

Archived