Goby fishing?

DarkEdge

So if we go by your method and all the new fishermen read this thread, it's ok to do the opposite of what the regulations say. Time to go Bass fishing I guess, cause the Americans say its Ok and our reg book is only suggestions according to our Conservation Guru.... Telling people to not kill gobies is just like telling people to fillet and eat any Musky the catch, no matter size, season or area. If it's a rule thought it meant something? Didn't know you were above the MNR.

Randy your always good for a twisting of words to start an argument.

I said I think they SHOULD be allowed. I also said I don't care if you kill them or not. I didn't say break the rules nor did I say fish out of season or waste meat. I am a supporter of the MNR and abiding by the rules but I'm not a sheeple and I do encourage others to challenge the rules or suggest changes if something doesn't make sense. I'd like to see the baitfish rules for crayfish applied to gobies.

I don't support poaching but I do think there should be a spring bear hunt. Did I just give you permission to go wipe out a herd of elk Randy? Randy if you really think telling people I could care less if they kill the gobies or not is like giving them permission to kill anything anytime despite the rules then maybe you should not watch any TV and stay off the internet.

Here's when I decided it was OK to release gobies. It was at the Kid's Day in Port Dalhousie a few years back and a new fisherkid caught their first fish. At about 4 years old he was just ecstatic. After a quick unhook and a picture with the proud angler the parent asked me what to do with it. I said you can bang it off the pier so it's dead when it hits the water. The kid immediately started to cry and asked we not kill it. Gee it never even crossed my mind about how these kids might see us as mentors if we simply kill what we don't want. They don't understand and quite frankly gobies are here to stay and have become part of the food chain and there seems to be allot less now then there were 5-10 years ago. They're baitfish now.

Randy I'm glad you weren't helping us that day because there would have been allot of kids turned off angling forever because that was a popular catch with worms being the bait of choice.

They are always on the bottom... when u catch one smash it on the ground.. and or feed it to a near by sea gull... its amazing to watch them eat it whole lol.. they are a pain in the ass if you ask me and for some reason they are not legal to use as bait but they work really good to catch small mouth.. there are actually lures that you can buy that are godies i have a few but due to lack of time have not really got to try them out yet...

any water around your house will carry Goby's. go to Marlatts Rd on Lake Gibson, which is about 5 minutes drive from your house, off Collier Rd. there's plenty of Goby's in there to catch if you've never seen one. at about 4 inches long or less on average, you aren't missing much though. LOL. use worms on a hook and fish the bottom, or use a pickerel rig at marlatts for good results for Goby's and other pan fish. or you can throw a worm into any water around your house and you'll catch them. good luck.

Rich

Another clarification for the Awols out there. We Live in Niagara where gobies have peaked and fallen (IMO) but in areas where they have not been found before like some of the little lakes they have not reached yet, I do recommend killing them and calling the invading species hotline! Preventing their spread should come first over anyones feelings but we know that here in Niagara there is nowhere left to prevent them from spreading to except that little farm pond maybe.

Just remember it is illegal to posses live gobies so if you plan on eating them you must kill them upon catching them.

Archived