Yakin' with chilli

DarkEdge

Got a surprise call from chilli this morning, asking if I wanted to give the kayak a try. Me being new to the sport, I didn't hold out much hope for me (good thing I can swim). So he came up, and the wife (MrsDarkEdge) and I went out with him on the pond not far from the house. Had a good trip, fighting with the wind was a good first lesson, and thankfully, I didn't have to prove fat people float. :P

After loading the 'yaks up in the truck, we noticed a splashing in the weeds, and one good jump let me see a decent sized pike feeding on something in there. So a little while later, after some errands, I went back with a topwater to see if I could stir up some trouble with him. A few casts later, and no luck, I switched to a spoon (realizing my topwater was a frog, and that could be considered targeting bass).

Just about ready to walk home, I decided on one last cast. But the wind caught the spoon, and whipped it to the right farther than I was aiming. Oh well, can't argue with nature. Reel, reel, reel, BAM. Just as the spoon got a little closer to the weeds than I wanted, a nice largie popped out and snatched it. Made for a nice little fight, but hardly the fish I wanted. No photo session for him, just a quick release, a renewed determination for a pike, and I went back to it.

End report: no pike. Oh well, there's always tomorrow, right? For the guys living in Thorold South, there was a MASSIVE (and I mean massive, even from the distance I was at) carp splashing up in the weeds, about 20 yards from the rock dam. If I'd had some corn, I would've gone for him.

All in all, a good day. No wrecks on the water, or in the water, and now I know a nice place to go for largemouth when them come in season next weekend.

Thanks for the good time, chilli. Glad you finally got to meet the wife, and even more glad I didn't sink your kayak. :lol:

Footnote: No fish were harmed in the making of this post.

Ya but I caught a pike :P

I'll give you that, Dan. You're one bad dude. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it, guys. But chilli reached right into the water, and pulled out a pike with his bare hands. :lol:

Archived