58 pond

DarkEdge

The Gods were not smiling on me tonight. I headed out for the highway 58 pond in Thorold with a storm rolling in. A bit of thunder, and all I could think about was chilli's last post. But, no guts, no glory, right? (Cleo, I almost proved your point about men getting stuck by lightning, I just lucked out on getting hit)

Very first cast, coming back through the weeds, I got a hit. Didn't take, so I tried again. Second time, nothing. So I threw a few more times, and I guess I scared it off. Then, being ever superstitious, I thought back to something I did as a kid. I pulled a small splitshot from my box, said a small prayer, and tossed it in the water. An offering to the Gods, right? Don't worry, it was a lead free splitshot.

Well, I think I insulted Them. My offering must have been too small, because the third cast after I did that, mid-swing, the bail closed, and my line snapped. I stood and watched, cursing out loud (sorry to anyone who was in ear shot) as I watched my lucky antique spoon and leader go sailing out into the drink. On the brighter side, it was the best cast of the night!

I cursed again, and started to turn back, but quickly changed my mind. I tied on a hook, put on a splitshot and float, wormed up, and tossed it out. Then, finally, fortune smiled upon me. Within seconds, I had a pannie on the line. The next twenty minutes were put and take with the sunfish. The last being almost 8" long, and bigger than my hand. I got a picture with my phone, I'll just have to get it off later.

Final count: five sunfish, three hooks, one leader, and one spoon. Oh, and two splitshots. Hopefully the spoon will make the Gods happier, and give me better fish next time.

In other news, anyone with younger kids that want to catch fish, the 58 pond is on fire with bluegill and sunfish. Worms are on the menu. So take them out, I'll give my personal promise they'll have a blast!

Trust me, if it was 58 pounds, it wouldn't have been so bad. :roflblack:

Come to think of it, I'm not even rigged for anything that's 58 pounds, unless I take it with my bow.

you should have come to the Niagara river with me. the Muskie I got yesterday was huge. too bad it spit the hook right at shore, but a catch is a catch, regardless of how it was C&R'd. LOL. I tool the older gentleman's advice at the pond the other day and bought a white bucktail spinner. that proved to be the ticket on that Muskie. LOL.

Archived