Like deer during season

DarkEdge

Since no one's catching any fish, or no one's sharing those few that are biting, I figured I'd take a moment to find out everyone's favourite fish, and the best way to cook it. Of course, it's all based on opinion. But I figured this way, we could all share recipes, rather than hunt them down online.

Mine, personally, is catfish. I love catfish, deep fried. Cornmeal and flour dry breaded, with cajun spices and a touch of basil. And with a cornmeal/flour base, you can pretty much flavour it however you like. I've changed it up, and made mustard flavoured fish before.

I'm not too picky on species but crappy has to be the best eating. I don't target them though because you don't get enough bang for the buck. I'm not real fond of killing fish to eat them so I prefer a bigger fish like rainbow trout. That way you feed the whole family with just one whack of the club. I fry most of my fish dipped in egg and breadcrumb and browned in butter. A little cajun or lemon pepper adds a nice touch.

I can't stand eating laketrout. Maybe the smaller ones are good on the broiler rack to let the oil escape but anything over 4 pounds makes my stomach turn.

nice fresh bow from the lake, drenched in fresh squeezed lemon juice and a handful of fresh dill. wrap in foil let marinade in fridge for an hour, bbq in foil for 12 - 15 minutes, dang.

nice fresh bow from the lake, drenched in fresh squeezed lemon juice and a handful of fresh dill. wrap in foil let marinade in fridge for an hour, bbq in foil for 12 - 15 minutes, dang.

A man after my own heart. I love grilled fish. I need a decent sized anything, so I can grill it. The wife doesn't like fish, so I get to eat everything I catch. Now I just need to catch one...

panfried pike, soaked in milk than battered in a flour mixture of flour, salt, pepper, smokey paprika, I use 3 tbls of flour 1 tbls of salt a pinch of pepper and a tsp of smokey paprika

You need to get up here to the Hammer early some morning. You'll leave with some catfish for sure.

Am i correct that the 2 most common types of catfish found in Niagara are Channel Cats and Brown Bullheads?

What ones are the best for eating?

Fresh bass in the pan. Keep it simple. Lots of butter, fresh minced garlic, S&P to taste. Nuthn beats it.

Fresh bass in the pan. Keep it simple. Lots of butter, fresh minced garlic, S&P to taste. Nuthn beats it.

I was going to keep a 2 lb bass yesterday because it swallowed the hook . So I gave the line a quick tug & out popped the hook ! I put the bass in a 5 gal pail , half full of water from the creek and about 20 min.later , that fish took a flying leap out of the pail into the creek & took off like a bat out of hell !! I stood there with my mouth open until a fly flew in..... :roflblack: No bass supper today !!

well since me ole gal is from the deep south... "arkansas" cornmeal breaded catfish is what she serves every friday in her cafe :roflblack: but she has seen the error of her wicked ways. ms J came up north last march to see perch n eyes being pulled up threw holes n that there ice LOL fell in love with ontario n the eats she provides ! i thunk i converted that sop em up with a bisuit n gravy gal because she be moving up here the end of the month HEHEHE. we will see what she likes best when she gits here ?!?!

I was going to keep a 2 lb bass yesterday because it swallowed the hook . So I gave the line a quick tug & out popped the hook ! I put the bass in a 5 gal pail , half full of water from the creek and about 20 min.later , that fish took a flying leap out of the pail into the creek & took off like a bat out of hell !! I stood there with my mouth open until a fly flew in..... :roflblack: No bass supper today !!

Sounds like you need a lid for that bucket, Smerch. That's at least better than the turtle I had eat a 1.5 pound bass of a stringer. Never made a sound, either.

Archived