Holy Carp!

DarkEdge

Finally, a report I can sink my hook into. This is the end of a two day, three round fishing trip to the creek by my house. Yesterday night started off with my panny rod (light action, 6# mono), and some corn. An hour of rod time produced one hook-up just as I was about to leave. Line snapped like a twig.

This morning, I went down around 9, corn in hand. Baited, and waited. Ten minutes to 10, the line takes off. Spend the next ten minutes in an epic battle with the ugliest snapping turtle I've ever seen. I guessed him to be about 15 pounds, but I never did get him out of the water. He was too big for my net!

Tonight, around 7:30, I made my final stand. Corn, pre-tied hair rigs, and the same game began. But the hair rigs proved to be more trouble than they were worth, and I couldn't keep the bait on them. So I went primitive, corn right on the hook. Just after 8, the line slacks, I tighten up, feel the twitch, and fight fight fight! Turned up this little beauty.

40303_10150231182960321_784400320_13626586_2134169_n.jpg

Rebaited, put the hook back in the exact same spot, and not three minutes later, a bigger one grabbed it and ran. I got a few seconds of a singing drag before it spit the hook. Finally called it quits at 8:30. So for three hours of rod time, I had two missed, one landed, and a turtle. Next time, I'm getting a bigger net. I want to see that guy up close!

Edit: The multi-tool in the picture is 8 inches/20 centimeters long. So by rough guess, it was about 16-17".

nice report Scott. we're gonna have to hook up for some carp action. this weekend will be good for me if it's ok for you. you have my phone number. LOL. I'll buy some commercial corn from Peters before we go. Tutti Fruiti seems to be the way to go, so that's what I'll get unless someone else has any ideas worth considering. congrats on your first of many Carp in Canada dude. :Gonefishing:

Rich

nice carp there scott, I shoulda joined you but it would of taking me an hour and a half just to get there on bike and was too hungover this morning to do anything

Cruddler, I fish with everyday normal gear. I usually buy one good rig, and the rest are $10 specials or second hand. I've been fishing for carp for a number of years now, and I've never had the pleasure of using a bait runner.

All the fancy carp gear is nice, but you don't need any of it. A decently solid rod, a good working reel, some fresh line, hooks, weights, and bait du jour. No bait balls, fancy reels, bite alarms, or any of that. If you want some help carping the "hard" way, I'll gladly team up with you.

Nice report Dark Edge. I enjoyed reading it.

I'm pretty much ready to shed my carp-hating exterior and give it a shot.. All you rubber-lippers have convinced me it's a species worth

pursuing.

I know the carp guys use bait runner reels.. How would a centerpin set up work?

I don't fish with a centre pin for carp ( not yet anyway, I'll get around to it ) but I can tell you they work fantastically. I can say this because I know a guy that uses one and I netted a 43 lb'r for him. What a battle. He has also landed 40 carp in one day on a pin. You can do this because the centre pin will not twist your line when the fish runs. You'll need some waggler or carp antenna type floats.

Cruddler, I fish with everyday normal gear. I usually buy one good rig, and the rest are $10 specials or second hand. I've been fishing for carp for a number of years now, and I've never had the pleasure of using a bait runner.

All the fancy carp gear is nice, but you don't need any of it. A decently solid rod, a good working reel, some fresh line, hooks, weights, and bait du jour. No bait balls, fancy reels, bite alarms, or any of that. If you want some help carping the "hard" way, I'll gladly team up with you.

I enjoyed your post very much. Nice fish.

Dark Edge You are right. :clapping: I heard this from a guy that has fished carp for over 60 years. "It's easy to fish for carp, it's a lot harder to fish for them properly" :P

To me it's all good.

I totally agree with you but.......

I'd never get rid of my carp gear, makes the experience that much better with the proper equipment.

Just like bassers have their specialty rods/reels, as do musky anglers.....same goes with carp. Use the gear and you will see.

But egg sinkers, sweet corn on a #6 hook will get you carp no question, but i still like the 'euro' way......just a tad better. :clapping:

I think the only reason I never went crazy on carp gear is because in the southern US, I went crazy on catfish gear. Heavy duty rods, massive reels, 2-4 ounce weights, giant hooks, you name it. After all that was done, I didn't have a lot left to sink into carping. And most of my catfish gear worked just as good, if I used it right.

And when his mouth was open, it turned down, chilli. Just a second before I took the pictures, he had his mouth open, and it was very obvious.

Steeler, all I had was a #6 bronze hook, a 1/8 ounce splitshot, and some 30# braided line. Set the rod up vertical, tightened the line the best I could, and waited for it to slack up. Same strategy I used on flatheads in Oklahoma, and it always worked then.

I think the only reason I never went crazy on carp gear is because in the southern US, I went crazy on catfish gear. Heavy duty rods, massive reels, 2-4 ounce weights, giant hooks, you name it. After all that was done, I didn't have a lot left to sink into carping. And most of my catfish gear worked just as good, if I used it right.

And when his mouth was open, it turned down, chilli. Just a second before I took the pictures, he had his mouth open, and it was very obvious.

Steeler, all I had was a #6 bronze hook, a 1/8 ounce splitshot, and some 30# braided line. Set the rod up vertical, tightened the line the best I could, and waited for it to slack up. Same strategy I used on flatheads in Oklahoma, and it always worked then.

Yup.

When im not fishing with all the carp gear, its a 6'6 rhino, my shimano baitrunner reel (cuz im in love with that reel haha) 12lb suffix elite, 1.5oz egg sinker, setup into a carolina rig, and a #6 gamakatsu octpus. Works just as good as a hair rig sometimes.

Archived