Salmon

DarkEdge

Since you guys have all the knowledge in the area (and I'm sure collectively, that's completely true), maybe a little help for a newbie up here.

In my short fishing career in the Niagara Region, I've caught bass, carp, tons of pannies, and my share of gobies. But everyone talking about salmon being upon us is making me excited. So, my new inquiry. Where can I get some?

I'm looking for someone to show me the ropes, on where to find some salmon from shore. I know a boat is a great help (I've fished Lake Michigan for salmon with downriggers, but I don't have that luxury now). Is there anything, gear wise, I should have that I might not? Are there tactics I need to know? Is there anyone that'll take me out for one or two trips, so I can get my feet wet? I'm not interested in trophy fish, just ones that I could eat by myself for dinner. I figured ten pounds at the most would make me happy.

Thanks for the advice in advanced.

Salmon season is the best time of the year.

Catching a fresh Chinny off a pier on a glow spoon at 1:00am is some of the most fun you will ever have fishing.

I recommend at least an 8' rod. Spinning or baitcasting doesnt matter. I've caught them on both.

I use 50lb Braid at night, as the fish won't be able to see it. If I'm fishing in light, I will add a 25lb fluoro leader to it.

Like I mentioned on another thread, Right now, the key is to look for the Northern wind. It will push the cold water in, and cycle the warm water out. (Along with the fish).

So.. If you've been watching the weather network, there has been a sustained 20km NW wind for the last 2 days, and its supposed to continue tomorrow.

And the temperature is supposed to drop tonight and tomorrow night.

HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE. :)

Send me a pm if you want to hit up a pier sometime.

I goto all the major ones.

The word on the street is that some people have been catching salmon at port credit, Port D is always a week or 2 behind. On the 15th I'm going to start trying to catch some salmon.

For tackle I use 40lb braid, med heavy rod with spinning reel, and I chuck glo spoons, glo lures, or glo fake minnows.

Send me a PM after the 15th, I meet up with you at Port D.

The word on the street is that some people have been catching salmon at port credit, Port D is always a week or 2 behind. On the 15th I'm going to start trying to catch some salmon.

For tackle I use 40lb braid, med heavy rod with spinning reel, and I chuck glo spoons, glo lures, or glo fake minnows.

Send me a PM after the 15th, I meet up with you at Port D.

There are no fish in Port Credit....

These aren't the droids you are looking for...

:)

lol

So seems the common answer is medium heavy rod, stiff line, and glo-baits. I'll be investing in just such a rod tonight, my reel is lined with 30# Power Pro, the baits will come next. If anyone wants to PM me, and tell me where's a good place to pick up my baits, I'd appreciate it.

And Wayne, maybe next Tuesday night, if the weather holds, since I'll have Wednesday to myself again. But I'll let you know by Monday.

Pierhead Kings...yeah baby. You don't need to spend bucks on a rod, but a good reel will be a huge benefit. 8' UglyStik with a Pflueger Supreme or Daiwa 1600 would be a solid setup. Massive line isn't really needed as much as capacity, better off with 200m of 15lb braid over 120m of 50lb, plus smaller dia line casts & handles better. 200m is a minimum benchmark, especially for some of the fresh gunmetal giants you can latch onto in August. The lightest weight reel you can find helps a bunch seeing as how all you're doing is casting & cranking for hours.

Lures, it's all about the glo spoons. Cleo's are the standard but I do better on spoons that have a bit more of a wobble, Moonshine's are good and can cast a mile, same with K.O. Wobblers. Find an old camera flash to charge them up, any colour as long as it's white & green. Some nights you can pick up some fish on some pretty oddball baits when the spoon bite is off but they should be the first thing you start chucking.

See you on the pier, no you can't borrow my net without a deposit :)

One fish to rule them all, one fish to find them.

One fish to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

Lord of the Kings baby!

Aug19DIY.jpg

Let me know scott when your going ill meet you sometime for the some salmon fun, also once it gets around mid sept to early oct you can salmon in the whirlpool on yarn while drifting better have a good flash light and some water its a heck of a hike, went there a few years back with my pa (last time me and him just went fishing) and we were getting wacked like crazy but no hook ups

Salmon season is the best time of the year.

Catching a fresh Chinny off a pier on a glow spoon at 1:00am is some of the most fun you will ever have fishing.

I recommend at least an 8' rod. Spinning or baitcasting doesnt matter. I've caught them on both.

I use 50lb Braid at night, as the fish won't be able to see it. If I'm fishing in light, I will add a 25lb fluoro leader to it.

Like I mentioned on another thread, Right now, the key is to look for the Northern wind. It will push the cold water in, and cycle the warm water out. (Along with the fish).

So.. If you've been watching the weather network, there has been a sustained 20km NW wind for the last 2 days, and its supposed to continue tomorrow.

And the temperature is supposed to drop tonight and tomorrow night.

HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE. :roflblack:

Send me a pm if you want to hit up a pier sometime.

I goto all the major ones.

Just so you know, for early season Salmon you should be thinking opposite of what you think here.... you want a offshore wind to blow the warm water out, by mid Sept. on you want the wind to push them in as by this time they don't care about temp and just want to do their thing. Just a heads up. This is for Port D. a North wind will blow warm surface water in. A south wind will blow the warm surface water out. HTH

Just so you know, for early season Salmon you should be thinking opposite of what you think here.... you want a offshore wind to blow the warm water out, by mid Sept. on you want the wind to push them in as by this time they don't care about temp and just want to do their thing. Just a heads up. This is for Port D. a North wind will blow warm surface water in. A south wind will blow the warm surface water out. HTH

Shhhhhhhh, we almost had half a pier of lurkers head to the wrong side of the lake!

:roflblack:

Archived