Carp, its all about carp lately

lara4228

so, Carp seems to be everywhere and seems to be the latest pizazz (from what I've read).

What techniques exactly does one use with beginner tackle and jazz to fish for carp?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relitively small hook (8) and a kernel of canned corn works well for me. I also use only 1 split shot as wieght so i dont spook the fish. Some good spots for carp is the 15 and 16 mile creek aswell as anywhere you see them LOL. Its important that you use heavy enough line and pole and reel so that if you hook into a big one, it doesnt spool you (i learned that the hard way). I just started carp fishing this spring and now love it! This is my biggest carp so far and its really small compared to most that others catch! :crazy:

P5160096.jpg

good luck

so, Carp seems to be everywhere and seems to be the latest pizazz (from what I've read).

What techniques exactly does one use with beginner tackle and jazz to fish for carp?

I see your from Hamilton. There is lots of good spots around the bay to catch them. Pier 4, Bayfront park, LaSalle, and Eastport are just a few of the popular spots. Go to Bill's Bait on Upper James as they have a good selection of carp baits. Try the monster maize or the Cuuk Corn as these baits work well and you will get less bites from bullheads and gobies then you do with canned corn. Don't get me wrong canned corn works great, but when fishing were gobies/bullheads are present you will pull your hair out from them always stealing your corn. Also google "How to tie hair rig" as this is the best way to hook your corn when fishing for carp.. HTH

I see your from Hamilton. There is lots of good spots around the bay to catch them. Pier 4, Bayfront park, LaSalle, and Eastport are just a few of the popular spots. Go to Bill's Bait on Upper James as they have a good selection of carp baits. Try the monster maize or the Cuuk Corn as these baits work well and you will get less bites from bullheads and gobies then you do with canned corn. Don't get me wrong canned corn works great, but when fishing were gobies/bullheads are present you will pull your hair out from them always stealing your corn. Also google "How to tie hair rig" as this is the best way to hook your corn when fishing for carp.. HTH

Ummm, ok, I've read the Hair rig tid bit...but I'm confused about the little loop at the end of the hook, what is that for and how will that help keep the corn on the hook?

remember...I'm new here. so plz speak as plainly as possible :crazy:

ty

Ummm, ok, I've read the Hair rig tid bit...but I'm confused about the little loop at the end of the hook, what is that for and how will that help keep the corn on the hook?

remember...I'm new here. so plz speak as plainly as possible :crazy:

ty

Ok you use a "baiting needle" to thread the corn onto the hair rig. After the corn is on you use a "boilie stop" (a little barbell shaped piece of plastic) to go into the loop to stop the corn from falling off. If you want to see it in person go down to the Skyway pier on the bay side right now as my buddy just called me and said there is a few guys down their fishing right now. I'm going to go down their or to Eastport in a hour to give it a go. If you see a older black civic parked along Eastport stop and I'll explain it all to you. HTH.

Ok you use a "baiting needle" to thread the corn onto the hair rig. After the corn is on you use a "boilie stop" (a little barbell shaped piece of plastic) to go into the loop to stop the corn from falling off. If you want to see it in person go down to the Skyway pier on the bay side right now as my buddy just called me and said there is a few guys down their fishing right now. I'm going to go down their or to Eastport in a hour to give it a go. If you see a older black civic parked along Eastport stop and I'll explain it all to you. HTH.

oooo...don't tease me! lol wish i could but we have a dinner party to attend in a couple of hours :crazy: and we ain't anywhere near ready to go :Gonefishing:

Please do let me know next time you or your "friend" is there. I'd LOVE to go watch, learn and hook some fish on my line.

I appreciate everything T.

Kepp posting for me..plz?

Hey, here is a pic of a ghetto hair rig set up. Works fine for me though.

gallery_3122_172_10432.jpg

You can see that the boilie is on the hair. I tie a loop in the end of my hair, and then feed the bait using a home made needle. All it is is a very thin paper clip, or a piano wire, or a very thin spinner bait wire (from a broken spinnerbait) or something like that, and then I crimp a very small section of the wire back on itself so it makes a tiny little hairpin turn at the end of the wire. This is thinner than needles I have seen in stores, which is nice because the thinner it is, the less the bait is damaged. I thread the bait onto the wire, and then the crimped bit at the end is hooked onto the loop at the end of my hair. You then slide the bait onto the hair. To keep it there, I use a rubber band, as can be seen in the photo. I keep a ton of rubber bands in my tackle box. I take a 1 inch segment of it, and tie it on my loop, and then cut off the excess. This way, if I need to re-bait, the loop is still open, and all I have to do it cut off the rubber band, re-bait, and then tie on a new rubber band.

I have seen the barbel shaped boilie stops before online and in store, but don't those involve having to close the knot in your hair on it? And if so, then don't you have to always tie a new hair when you need to re-bait?

Hey, here is a pic of a ghetto hair rig set up. Works fine for me though.

gallery_3122_172_10432.jpg

You can see that the boilie is on the hair. I tie a loop in the end of my hair, and then feed the bait using a home made needle. All it is is a very thin paper clip, or a piano wire, or a very thin spinner bait wire (from a broken spinnerbait) or something like that, and then I crimp a very small section of the wire back on itself so it makes a tiny little hairpin turn at the end of the wire. This is thinner than needles I have seen in stores, which is nice because the thinner it is, the less the bait is damaged. I thread the bait onto the wire, and then the crimped bit at the end is hooked onto the loop at the end of my hair. You then slide the bait onto the hair. To keep it there, I use a rubber band, as can be seen in the photo. I keep a ton of rubber bands in my tackle box. I take a 1 inch segment of it, and tie it on my loop, and then cut off the excess. This way, if I need to re-bait, the loop is still open, and all I have to do it cut off the rubber band, re-bait, and then tie on a new rubber band.

I have seen the barbel shaped boilie stops before online and in store, but don't those involve having to close the knot in your hair on it? And if so, then don't you have to always tie a new hair when you need to re-bait?

You just stick the boilie stop into the loop and pull the boilie/corn snug against it. You would be surprised how well it holds. Even if you lose your bait, it still seems to stay on.

Thanks y'all.

I'm stil seriously confused.

What is a bolie? Where is that elastic you were talking about steven and what needle?

Sorry, like I mentioned, I am seriously a dummy when it comes to fishing...honestly, it has all been buull Sh*t luck for me (and I've out fished my other half :crazy: !lol)

I will read and reread and research all you have given me in greater detail.

Keep on posting though...it'll eventually sink in...remember, I'm a girl and a newbie and a blonde all at the same time

001.JPG

and how do you get these to bite?

took this picture today inside the BBC. Can't fish there though

Hey chilli, I've a couple of these at Bayfront Park here in Hamilton. I tried to tease him with my worm, but he didn't care for it. Then I tried to tease him with my "Charlie" (my fav. lure) and he didn't care for that either.

I would love to say "this is what I caught! Here is the pic to prove it!" lol

Maybe next time, once I know how to fish carp/koi :crazy:

Hey chilli, I've a couple of these at Bayfront Park here in Hamilton. I tried to tease him with my worm, but he didn't care for it. Then I tried to tease him with my "Charlie" (my fav. lure) and he didn't care for that either.

I would love to say "this is what I caught! Here is the pic to prove it!" lol

Maybe next time, once I know how to fish carp/koi :crazy:

There is a huge goldfish I've seen around the boat launch in Bayfront Park. Corn or boilies would be the way to entice it. Or if you're really patient and can fly cast, a large black woollie bugger or a black leech pattern might do it.

There is a huge goldfish I've seen around the boat launch in Bayfront Park. Corn or boilies would be the way to entice it. Or if you're really patient and can fly cast, a large black woollie bugger or a black leech pattern might do it.

Coach, we must have been seeing the darn fish! I tell ya it was huge! I know.

Sad part is, we've given up fishing there. Bites slow, weeds too much for me to handle and I'm starting to not like the smell of the water and boats, (even I'm one of them...when I can get my boat back out :(

I'll fish there in my littl alluminum but not shoreline anymore.

There are a lot of nice size brown trout on the other side of the water (where the people walk/jog/bike) almost directly across from the second paved way 200m(?)

So this is hubby's carp caught by sheer luck. It ran side to side and screwed three of our lines. It took me about 30 minutes to untangle all the lines.

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/uploa...7_190_82809.jpg

Coach, we must have been seeing the darn fish! I tell ya it was huge! I know.

Sad part is, we've given up fishing there. Bites slow, weeds too much for me to handle and I'm starting to not like the smell of the water and boats, (even I'm one of them...when I can get my boat back out :(

I'll fish there in my littl alluminum but not shoreline anymore.

There are a lot of nice size brown trout on the other side of the water (where the people walk/jog/bike) almost directly across from the second paved way 200m(?)

I typically start my fishing on the trail about 300m in and work along the shore to the canal. Some days I take my fly rod, other days I take the spinning rod. There are brown trout and pike in the shallow areas during the cooler months, but this time of year mostly carp, bullheads, white and yellow perch.

you can also use pieces of snapped off tooth pick as a hair rig stopper. I use this method all the time when I fish with boilies and it works great. plus, tooth picks are cheap to buy and each one makes about 6 or 8 stoppers. LOL.

if you search boilies on here, there are several recipies to make your own................they are very easy to make. or you can go to the local bait shop and buy all kinds of falvours. Banana, Pineapple and Tutti Fruiti are the best by far.

Rich

Here are some links. You don't have to do it EXACTLY like this, but this gives you a good visual of everything. I also included a link to boilie recipes. They aren't always the simplest ones, but it gives you a good idea of how to make them. There are simpler recipes out there. At this point I think corn is your best bet anyway. So when you are looking at the hair rig diagrams, just pretend that the big balled bait on the hair is a few kernels of corn :( Hopefully after reading some of these my diagram and explanation (and others) will make more sense and it will all come together. Sorry we haven't broken it down enough for you. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for here.

This one has an animated image:

http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/hairrigs.htm

Another explanation:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rig-section/ca...tless_knot.html

Boilies:

http://members.chello.nl/tmarapengopie/boilierecipes.htm

001.JPG

and how do you get these to bite?

took this picture today inside the BBC. Can't fish there though

well chili,

fact of the matter is, those goldfish are incredibly skittish. i guess it stands to reason when you are the only bright orange creature in a camo kinda world. we have tried many things over the years and have actually caught 2. first was snag on fin during spring perch run in harbour and second was the bizarre dude pictured below, who was ridiculously aggressive toward the fly we tossed at him and his harem last spring. my most recent attempt, last month, involved sitting on top of them in my kayak and dangling numerous different baits and flies in their faces and being ignored by all. oh well, we still have our photo-proof from way back.

09Jun23aGoldfishCloseUp.jpg

Here are some links. You don't have to do it EXACTLY like this, but this gives you a good visual of everything. I also included a link to boilie recipes. They aren't always the simplest ones, but it gives you a good idea of how to make them. There are simpler recipes out there. At this point I think corn is your best bet anyway. So when you are looking at the hair rig diagrams, just pretend that the big balled bait on the hair is a few kernels of corn :roflblack: Hopefully after reading some of these my diagram and explanation (and others) will make more sense and it will all come together. Sorry we haven't broken it down enough for you. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for here.

This one has an animated image:

http://www.fishforcarp.com/html/hairrigs.htm

Another explanation:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/rig-section/ca...tless_knot.html

Boilies:

http://members.chello.nl/tmarapengopie/boilierecipes.htm

OMG! I had no idea that fishing, let along carp fishing was so friggin intense! Wow. OK, it'll take a bit of time and practice to finite these ways, but I'm sureand confident I'll do it.

Thanks Steven

Archived