Carp, its all about carp lately

lara4228

Well!

Thank you everyone! I mean everyone for all your help in regards to carp fishing.

I went tonight with hubby and his friend, who happens to fish carp only. What an evening.

We personally didn't catch anything, but, a young couple who we fished beside, he caught a 14lb carp.

It was beautiful! I never thought I would catch myself calling a carp beautiful, nor would I think of myself getting 'excited' about someone else catching a fish. But I did. I thoroughly truly enjoyed the evening.

I was able to piece together EVERYONE's advice about hair rigs, boilies, corn, rod set up, line set up, pods, chumming the water, etc. etc. Listening to each and every single one of you on here who contributed to this topic was a help. Each little tid bit of advice, web links, do's and don'ts, must haves and not so necessary, diagrams and stories have all played an integral part of what I learned tonight.

Fishing was very slow (apparently), and I didn't one nibble. But the practability of watching and doing it first hand was more than an experience. :D:lol::D

I will definitely do this again

Sum it up....exciting!

:worthy:

It's quite funny, how you come to think that about carp. This is only my second season carp fishing. My first carp ever, was caught by mistake when we ran outta worms and a guy next to us, tossed us some corn.

The first carp is always the most memorable, i remember thinking i had hooked into a submarine, was so awesome. From that second on it was carp mania for me.

In my mind, no other fresh water fish compares to the carp.

best part for me? One second all is quiet and peaceful.......next second alarm screams into life, baitrunner is singing, and then the drag engages and your rod doubles over. Awesome.

Good luck on future trips!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is another piece of advice! Carp really don't bite good on days with east winds (like Thursday). It seems to affect them more then any other fish. Also first thing in the morning seems to almost always be the best time to go this time of the year.

I've actually only had luck in the evenings down here. Mornings, all I catch are gobies, pannies, and snapping turtles. Also, does a wind from the west make them more active? All the times I've gone for them, the wind was blowing out of the west, and while I didn't bring every fish in, I had a lot more bites. Just wondering, I've never noticed a pattern on carp anywhere else before.

Lara,

Glad to hear you're starting to catch 'Carp Fever'. There's no turning back now!

Chilli,

Stinky corn is sometimes much better than freshly cooked. I've caught many fish on smelly corn, just be careful you don't splash any on you clothes!

Edge,

I find that fishing with a strong wind at your face is the best. I've always had good days with wind in my face. I never pay much attention to the weather factor when fishing. My time out is limited, and I enjoy getting out whenever time permits.

Lara,

Glad to hear you're starting to catch 'Carp Fever'. There's no turning back now!

Chilli,

Stinky corn is sometimes much better than freshly cooked. I've caught many fish on smelly corn, just be careful you don't splash any on you clothes!

Edge,

I find that fishing with a strong wind at your face is the best. I've always had good days with wind in my face. I never pay much attention to the weather factor when fishing. My time out is limited, and I enjoy getting out whenever time permits.

:worthy::lol::D

I am not sure if you were fishing at the Dajardin Canal Lara since you are in Hamilton, but if you were, I heard people say that certain times in the morning specifically are better than others, perhaps having to do with the changes in the current that happen periodically there. This is just hearsay though. Perhaps someone else can verify this.

Glad you were able to compile all the info. All you can really do is just put everything together, see where all the info overlaps, and then figure out what you really need and dont. I never bother with the fancy rod stands, for example, and just figure something out when I get there. On that note, the reason I do that is I end up fishing on a lot of grass and uneven banks, as opposed to a flat bank or concrete. Are the fancy pants carp rod holders suitable for more uneven terrain? It looks like they wouldn't be.

I am not sure if you were fishing at the Dajardin Canal Lara since you are in Hamilton, but if you were, I heard people say that certain times in the morning specifically are better than others, perhaps having to do with the changes in the current that happen periodically there. This is just hearsay though. Perhaps someone else can verify this.

Glad you were able to compile all the info. All you can really do is just put everything together, see where all the info overlaps, and then figure out what you really need and dont. I never bother with the fancy rod stands, for example, and just figure something out when I get there. On that note, the reason I do that is I end up fishing on a lot of grass and uneven banks, as opposed to a flat bank or concrete. Are the fancy pants carp rod holders suitable for more uneven terrain? It looks like they wouldn't be.

There's all sorts of different rod stands you can purchase for all types of terrain and applications. It comes down what you need/want. A simple bank stick will do the job on grassy areas, and might even work on rocky terrain if you can get it between the rocks.

Again, there's no need to go overboard on carp tackle (unless you want to). The only thing I EVER suggest is a good baitrunner reel to get people started.

Yep, got one of those :worthy: and a salmon/steelhead rod with some backbone to it (At the time it was really hard to find carp rods in Canada). I think I'll just stick to what I have. I already hate carrying all my gear as it is :lol:

You should be fine then. As long as you can handle the fish on your gear, you won't have a problem.

The self leveling laser bite detector rod pods are nice...but I'm all about the ghetto carping.

+1 for Tregunno downtown off Catherine. Don't forget to pick up some chicken feed to use as a chum base for your feeder.

Feeders, now I have buy yet another specialized bit of kit to FEED the carp before I catch them?!?!?!

Nope, just take an old coat hangar and bend it into a roughly feeder shaped object.

May24_09007.jpg

Loaded up with a weight, Tregunno chicken feed and cherry Kool Aid flavoured corn. Hammer Special locked & loaded.

June07_09001.jpg

Rod pods and bite detectors...not really needed, though it helps keep your outfit from being yanked into the drink if you're oft wont to not pay attention. An old trick is to pull out a length of line and hook it around the tab of a Molson's can, toss some gravel in the can and any take will knock the can over with a distinctive rattle.

HammerTown001.jpg

Yup, ghetto to the max. :worthy:

Think I'll stick to bass and perch. just slap on a minnow, worm or mister twister and go fishing. Ya there are some real cool looking carp and they fight like bulldogs but all this special equipment, chumming and now doing dishes is just way too much work for a fish I'm not going to eat.

spnazi.jpg

:worthy:

Hammer, that looks like something I'd see on a website I frequent. PM me and I'll send you the address. Once you look, you'll understand why.

Again, :thx: all.

I am going to try this carp thing out tomorrow at the Hamilton Derby.

Not too sure if I have all 'correct' gear, like what HammerCarp's picture shows, but going to give it a try anyway.

Who knows....maybe I'll catch a winning carp :roflblack: Highly doubt it, but we'll see.

I've never gone out fishing for anything specific. Like my first topic mentioned, new and testing. I lack the know-how, technique, finesse, gear and hardware, just the basics in my box but I don't care, I just plain enjoy it!

I'll let you all know how it faired out to be tomorrow...

I'll be there tomorrow. Gonna unlimber the spey rod for this one. Who knows, maybe I'll get another pike to take a leech for me.

Wish I knew who you were, I would've have come to say 'Hi' We were fishing off of Pier 8. I won second place! It was great. I'm going to post pics (if I can figure them out, seems to be I can only upload so many? maybe cuz I'm new?)

Lara

ok hun , i think ya might wanna stop eating all the blueberry drink mix...... :D:):roflblack:

ha ha ha, its from my slushie at work you door knob!

Here's a pic of my new set up. (Laser Level not included ;) )

SL370141.jpg

SL370143.jpg

SL370142.jpg

Just a heads up that reel has had some real issues. I bought the 8000 and it lasted exactly one day in the salt (it is made for saltwater fishing). One of the young guys from fishing world said he has gone thru two of them this year carp fishing. I really thought it would be bullet proof like the one it replaced, but was really disappointed.

BTW. Nice pod! Solar?

Holy crap, can that set up do long division too? ;) That is a seriously nice set up. One question I have always had is why do you need bite indicators when carp fisherman primarily use bolt rigs?

You really don't but there are some advantages to using bite alrms and bite indicators like the swing arm.

They are great for night fishing.

You can do other things while fishing like preparing more bait .

When carp anglers fish in a group, they can space their set-ups apart and then set there chairs together so they can shoot the #$%^ together.

If a carp takes the bait and bolts in toward the rod the alarm will sound.

Just a heads up that reel has had some real issues. I bought the 8000 and it lasted exactly one day in the salt (it is made for saltwater fishing). One of the young guys from fishing world said he has gone thru two of them this year carp fishing. I really thought it would be bullet proof like the one it replaced, but was really disappointed.

BTW. Nice pod! Solar?

T. Barry, I've had the reel for almost a year now, and I use it almost exclusively for my carp fishing. Not a single issue with it, and it performed flawlessly on the St Lawrence, and that is a place that will certainly put your gear through its paces! I'm extremely happy with it and I'm certain it will give me many years of trouble-free use.

One thing about Shimano is that they have one of the best warranties going. I'm sure they will make it right for you if you've had problems.

Yes, the pod is the new Solar Sod Pod. Just arrived on Wednesday from the UK. Very nice pod for the money.

Steven, A bite indicator (swing arm, dangler, etc) is used mainly to detect a drop back run when the fish grabs the bait and moves towards you. Without it, the alarm might not sound as there isn't any tension on the line. I also have some that are designed for heavy current which have a tension adjustment. This helps to keep your line tight in heavy current.

Archived