Carp, its all about carp lately

lara4228

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*drools* shimano baitrunner D *drools*

i was going to grab that reel, but opted for the older original shimano baitrunner cuz i couldnt afford the d ;).

Steeler,

The older Shimano baitrunners are pretty much bullet-proof. I've had a 3500 and a 4500 for years, and never had a problem with them. I consider them to be a work-horse reel for carp angling.

Even though I've upgraded to the new D series, I'd be hard pressed to part with the older ones.

Bull Sh*t Beginners Luck !!!!!! lmao your ALWAYS SKUNKING ME..!!!!

nice set up Tiger .. i think we need to get a pod for Lara.. maybe i could try to make one from some things i have laying around the house.... hehehehe

road.

Bull Sh*t Beginners Luck !!!!!! lmao

nice set up Tiger .. i think we need to get Lara a pod .. maybe i could try to make one from some things i have around the house.... hehehehe

road.

Road,

I just posted one for sale in the Buy and Sell section. It can take up to 3 rods. I've fished in NY state using 2 rods on it, and it was rock solid. Might be good for both of you to use.

http://www.niagarafishing.net/forums/index...showtopic=20837

Well I hope your reel last a life time. I just don't think Shimano has the same quality as it use to. A friend cuts a reps hair near T.O. and he says they are having all kinds of problems with the d's and the original baitrunners that were made in the last few years had lots of problems also. The originals from more then 5 yrs ago are bullet proof though like you said. I guess you got the good lemon out of the bunch! lol

Well I hope your reel last a life time. I just don't think Shimano has the same quality as it use to. A friend cuts a reps hair near T.O. and he says they are having all kinds of problems with the d's and the original baitrunners that were made in the last few years had lots of problems also. The originals from more then 5 yrs ago are bullet proof though like you said. I guess you got the good lemon out of the bunch! lol

T.Barry,

I have a friend that works for Shimano, he's going to check with Customer Service about claims regarding the new "D" series. He'll also look into any warranty claims that Fishing World has had with this reel.

Did you return the reel that was faulty after 1 day to Shimano for Warranty service?

holy smokes. When I fished the Welland river for carp we used to get a forked stick off the nearest tree.

And that is just fine. But the truth is it is very hard to beat the versatility of the european style rod pods. They work on grass, mud, sand, gravel,rocks, concrete or asphault. They work on flat, sloped or completely uneven ground. You can fish over railings or walls with them. The rod can be angled to account for current, weeds, and the wind. Rodpods are a good idea not just for carp but anytime you are fishing from the bank and your bait is static ( just sitting there ).

T.Barry,

I have a friend that works for Shimano, he's going to check with Customer Service about claims regarding the new "D" series. He'll also look into any warranty claims that Fishing World has had with this reel.

Did you return the reel that was faulty after 1 day to Shimano for Warranty service?

I took it apart cleaned it, so it's useable but not nearly as smooth as when I first got it. I stop fishing for carp when the bows start running the rivers so I'll send it in then.

I took it apart cleaned it, so it's useable but not nearly as smooth as when I first got it. I stop fishing for carp when the bows start running the rivers so I'll send it in then.

I talked to my friend again last night. He checked with John Noel, the Shimano rep for Fishing World and the surrounding area, and he's not had any of the "D" series baitrunners come back since they started selling them.

John was also going to check with Fishing World about any claims they have for 2 burnt out reels.

My friend also checked with Shimano Customer Service, and they have had no returns on the reels due to quality/warranty issues on freshwater or saltwater areas in all of North America.

Hmm.... weird I guess maybe I got the lemon. lol The two people I've talked to in person who had these reels approached me to see if I had any problems because they said they did. Well that is good to know it is not widespread as I first thought.

I'm sure Shimano will take of you if you have a warranty issue with the reel. I've only ever heard good things about about their warranty service.

I talked to my friend again last night. He checked with John Noel, the Shimano rep for Fishing World and the surrounding area, and he's not had any of the "D" series baitrunners come back since they started selling them.

John was also going to check with Fishing World about any claims they have for 2 burnt out reels.

My friend also checked with Shimano Customer Service, and they have had no returns on the reels due to quality/warranty issues on freshwater or saltwater areas in all of North America.

Hmm.

I am curious about this reel so I googled it up and found generally good reviews although I don't think it's destined to be a classic. The problems I read about were all different so that would indicate no chronic or systematic issues.

Here's an example from an angler and a tackle shop ownwer here in N. America.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-c...baitrunner.html

Hmm.

I am curious about this reel so I googled it up and found generally good reviews although I don't think it's destined to be a classic. The problems I read about were all different so that would indicate no chronic or systematic issues.

Here's an example from an angler and a tackle shop ownwer here in N. America.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-c...baitrunner.html

Same thing here Lorne. I looked around and generally found good reviews (although most of the reviews were made after 1 or 2 uses so that doesn't really tell you lots). On BPS their were 3 reviews 2 people gave it a 5 out of 5, and 1 gave it a 1 out of 5 here is his problem and not so good customer service. LOL

Disadvantages: bail mechanism will break in a year or two, waterprrof drag isn't so waterproof"Don't buy the baitrunner !!!!! After being a loyal Shimano customer for 25+ years, they have seriously let me down both, in terms of reel quality and customer service. They've made me a disloyal customer.

It's not if, but when the bail mechanism breaks, have fun paying ~50% of the cost of the reel to repair it. Call Shimano like I did so that they take an, "I-don't-give-a-"CENSORED"" attitude with you too.

This is what tells me these reels are not nearly as good as the ones they replaced. I've read lots of bad reviews all over the net and the thing is they have lots of different problems. Like I said earlier in this post; I don't think Shimano quality is the same as it used to be.

Same with G.Loomis, I own lots of Loomis rods and the rods I have got in the last 5 yrs. or so are not made with the same Quality. The issues I'm talking about are cosmetic (uneven Thread wraps/gaps between thread wraps) while this is minor, when a rod retails for close to $1000 it should look near perfect like they used too.

ummm.....can we say this topic has been hijacked? Gee this started with my questions about fishing for carp, somehow it has turned into a "reel" issue! lol Now I know what hijacking means!

Just trying to help fellow fisherman (and women) out. I would not have dropped the $$$ if I would have known about all the issues. I wish someone would have brought this up a couple of months ago and then I would be thanking them for the info. This is still carp related, people were telling people to buy baitrunners and I was just warning people about a baitrunner that has had a lot of problems. Trust me your new to this internet fishing site. You haven't seen Hijacking, wait to shore slamon and rainbow season starts. Almost time for the "Niagara Professional Steelheaders Club" to start posting lol. One day I will be as good as them.....one day......

Sorry Lara you are right. I was going to ask a mod to split this off from your thread. I don't know if they do that here.

Sometimes threads just sort of wonder off by themselves. I don't think there was a deliberate attempt to hi jack your thread and like TBarry said it's still carp related.

Oh ok. T?, if you had issues with it from the start, you should have returned it right away. I know I would have. If I'm buying an expensive piece of equipment, tool, etc. and it (EDIT) up on me I wouldn't hesitate on bringing it back. shame on you! lol

If there is one thing hubby ever taught me, is do my research. What a valuable lesson he taught me on that one. I used to me a fly by the seat of my pants type of decision maker on things like, buying a reel, or 'fishing'. ( Which is how I landed here on this site! )

Well, anyway, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. My advice, don't be stupid, use the warranty for all you can. Regardless of your personal opinion of reel new. Better sooner than later and getting stung by holding out too long. It's kinda like the whole health benefit packages, you got it, use it for everything you can before hey run out of time! lol

Oh ok. T?, if you had issues with it from the start, you should have returned it right away. I know I would have. If I'm buying an expensive piece of equipment, tool, etc. and it (EDIT) up on me I wouldn't hesitate on bringing it back. shame on you! lol

If there is one thing hubby ever taught me, is do my research. What a valuable lesson he taught me on that one. I used to me a fly by the seat of my pants type of decision maker on things like, buying a reel, or 'fishing'. ( Which is how I landed here on this site! )

Well, anyway, I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. My advice, don't be stupid, use the warranty for all you can. Regardless of your personal opinion of reel new. Better sooner than later and getting stung by holding out too long. It's kinda like the whole health benefit packages, you got it, use it for everything you can before hey run out of time! lol

Thanks for your concerns Lara. I do plan on using the warranty just waiting for my carp season to end (which will be @ the end of this month). I see that your Hubby took probably Lorne's advice (just guessing since you guys met in person) or maybe you got my Pm about the carp board. Sorry if you thought I was Hijacking your post. Don't worry no more post for me on this thread. Good Luck carping!

I have heard stories about big salmon burning a reel up & a huge carp can do the same thing . That tells me the reel is too small to do the job or it's not well made . I believe many products that were once very well made & built a good reputation on the product, faced some stiff opposition from cheap chinese products , so they either cheapened the components of the products or moved production to China . The end result is an inferior product . Talk to the salmon & carp pros. and they can help you purchase a good reel to get the job done . This is an excellent thread , with lots of great info from people who know their stuff ! Carp On ! B)

Lara, Road.

It was nice to meet and fish you both on Tuesday evening. Have you been out since? It's too bad the fish weren't cooperating, but you guys had a good chance to pick everyone's brains about carping!

You 2 are certainly on the right track and brought up a lot of relevant questions.

You're thread took a slight detour, but as you can see, deciding on the right gear to purchase is a major decision. As we discussed the other night, it pays to do your homework.

If you have any other questions, just send me a PM anytime.

It is good to see you are getting out there in pursuit of them carpies. I am glad you are doing some looking around and finding out as much as you can. It can be as simple as just typing and googling in order to find out a more balanced opinion on gear. I hope some day to get out with the two of you and I can show you how the guys down south fish for carp. It is simple and effective.

It is good to see you are getting out there in pursuit of them carpies. I am glad you are doing some looking around and finding out as much as you can. It can be as simple as just typing and googling in order to find out a more balanced opinion on gear. I hope some day to get out with the two of you and I can show you how the guys down south fish for carp. It is simple and effective.

well you know what is said about the internet ... believe only 50% of what you read and 50% of what you see.

most topics on the internet are only cut and pastes paragraphs from the original topic posted by others who do not

get the credit for their knowledge.

like the idea of advise , it may be given but it is up to the educated to decipher the truths within or find the sources to

be lacking.

this is why i do my own research and have my own opinions ,to wich most do not like because i say it as it is .

road.

Archived