Channel cats caught in Twelve mile creek

knightfisher

Fished the Twelve a few times last week. With the water level and current down,

expected to catch lots of bass, and was not disappointed.

Was very surprized however at the number of channel cats caught.

12cat1.jpg

2cats12.jpg

2412.jpg

1812bass.jpg

212.jpg

more12cat5s.jpg

12cat6.jpg

bass127.jpg

Tom12.jpg

withTat12.jpg

Nice fish, BTW, I think you should give me that nice looking German Shepherd :worthy: Looks like hes from good working lines. Anyway, where exactly is 12 mile creek? Right now the only spots I have been hitting is Gibson, Martindale, Port D and the odd time Firemens.

Autumn

the 12 Mile Creek runs from Port Dalhousie, right up to Lake Gibson and also veers off into a smaller creek that goes up the escarpment. to fish it, there are many, many spots to choose from. if you go up Glendale Avenue (West), you'll come to the valley and there's a parking lot just before the bridge. turn right into that parking lot and go exploring with your rod. there are tons of spots along that stretch to fish from. you can also get to it from downtown St.Catharines and there's a really nice sized pool that is full of Carp, Cats, Gar, Muskie and Pike, to name a few. the rootbeer river also flows into this pool and that is chock full of Carp, Cats and Bass. to fish further downstream, you can fish anywhere behind the businesses on Ontario Street. behind Sitel and McDonalds are by far the best spots in that location. then of course, there's anywhere in and around Martindale pond and then down into the channel in Port D. I'm sure others might add some spots to the ones I've listed here. one of the best ways to fish the 12 is by boat, canoe or kayak. you can get into some really good spots that just aren't accessable from the shore. there are also several spots that are accessable from Martindale Road, but they are a fair hike if you decide to try those, but the end of Violett Street immediately comes to mind. hope that helps you.

Rich

Was some great fishing alright. Love the fight and acrobats of the smallies.

Erik, the cats were caught while drifting/bouncing the bottom.

Even though the water level was down as well as the current, there still

was significant current.

Autumn my dog is a purebred Belgian Malinois. Similar to a shepherd, but smaller.

And yes comes from good working lines.Periodically I bred her.

Thanks Joe. As far as teaching the 'other guy how to fish'', where would one start :bb2::D

:angry:

The third Belgian Malinois I know of is yours. Here is my pure bred Belgian Malinois :angry: Loads of people confuse them with Shepherds hence why I thought urs was a Shep. Cannot see the face and body well had I of been able to I would of known it was a German Shepherd with no off switch (the Mal) lol. Good to know im not the only on in my area that owns one. Mines a male but hes got no jewels. Never should of fixed him nothing but problems after I did, first and last one I neuter. Mine also LOVES toys, he will do anything for any kind of toy lol. If you breed her again I would be interested in a Male pup. Do you happen to have another pic of her? I love Mals lol

linkrunning-1.jpg

Anyway, back on topic, I didnt know that creek ran that long. I maybe will try behind Sitel and McCleansers as well. So really I could of been fishing that creek and not even know it lol

Autumn

behind McPukes is a great spot for Bass, Perch and Pike. you will deffinitely like that spot, but some words of advice/warning............................it is a tight spot to fish so watch your casting. LOL. the most important advice I can give you though is, don't go down there alone. there's a lot of kooks around and even though it's close to civilization, you'de be surprised at how secluded it really is. also, there's lots of hazards around and if something were to happen to you, you'll need someone to drag your butt out of there, or at least someone to tell others of your last moments on this earth. LOL. like I've said before, my wife and I are available to fish most of the time and we would go down there with you if you wanna check it out. or at least take a friend with you if you go down there.

Rich

I always fish with a friend. If anyone did try anything with me I dont think they would dare touch me or any friends with my dog there. He wouldnt like that LOL. So unless their arms look good with bite marks then I think I will be safe. I know from experience my dog will protect me by himself or if needed to apprehend. If anyone does try something after seeing and being told my dog will bite, they are not very bright lol. I can only fish from shore so I shall check that spot out if I have time Saturday. I know Friday evening I will be at Gibsons (Marlotts) and then Saturday I will try out Green Ribbon Trail then Martindale. if I have time we may try that spot. I am always open to fish with anyone but I dont drive, so I am limited where I can get to.

better watch the dog biting people. just take one person to press charges and the dog would be put down. I knwo what you are saying though. our dog isn't the friendliest with other people and we always tell other people that. but there's one guy at the coffee shop that always goes up to her and I always have to stop him and remind him off the fact that "she WILL bite you" and there's plenty of witnesses to say that he provoked the dog. plus, it would be funny as hell, cause he's stupid. hahahahahahaha

I know what you mean, but I highly doubt anyone would try anything stupid with me anyway. I mean, if he went to assault me and my dog bit out of defense...thats his stupidity and anyone with a head would see that and say well your stupid for touching her lol. But I dont think it will happen, generally people see my dog, hear his growl at them and they tend to migrate the other way.

2412.jpg

It's amazing how green some of the bass are in there. Green like the clams.

Dan was there an orioles nest in that tree above you this year? There has been a nest there for many years.

i think i drove past you out there knightfisher....i was on my way down to my brothers rowing race and i turned down that street that cuts from 4th ave to martindale road along the 12mile....is this where you did most your fishing?....i wanted to try out there but never got the chance...were you out in the falls today by any chance?

Lol the Malinois & Beauceron, sheperds for countries that kept getting invaded by zee Germans :worthy:

Just one thing...

better watch the dog biting people. just take one person to press charges and the dog would be put down. I knwo what you are saying though. our dog isn't the friendliest with other people and we always tell other people that. but there's one guy at the coffee shop that always goes up to her and I always have to stop him and remind him off the fact that "she WILL bite you" and there's plenty of witnesses to say that he provoked the dog. plus, it would be funny as hell, cause he's stupid. hahahahahahaha
I know what you mean, but I highly doubt anyone would try anything stupid with me anyway. I mean, if he went to assault me and my dog bit out of defense...thats his stupidity and anyone with a head would see that and say well your stupid for touching her lol. But I dont think it will happen, generally people see my dog, hear his growl at them and they tend to migrate the other way.

Ontario is an absolute liability state when it comes to dog bites. That means if your dog bites somebody, no matter what, it's the dogs fault and you're in for a minimum $400 fine. Just something to consider if you have an aggressive dog and leave him unattended.

Lol the Malinois & Beauceron, sheperds for countries that kept getting invaded by zee Germans :thx:

Just one thing...

Ontario is an absolute liability state when it comes to dog bites. That means if your dog bites somebody, no matter what, it's the dogs fault and you're in for a minimum $400 fine. Just something to consider if you have an aggressive dog and leave him unattended.

even worse if you were across the border and that happened. :roflblack:

Autumn I will post a few pics of my two Belgian Malinois' a little later.

Rich I think most any dog will protect/bite if they feel their master is threatend.

The beauty of the Malinois is that they are extremely quick learners and obey every command. Mine could be chasing a dog or cat, or rabbit, and I can call her off and she stops in her tracks.These dogs are the most sought after by the military and police forces due to there quick learning and such. These dogs are not as intimidating as a King shepherd which is why the forces have both. However my black Malinois scares some people. Must be the colour.

Kingkiller, that is the first time I caught channel cats down there. Usually just get into bass.

Yes Tyler, I was in the falls the other day. Doing some estimates.

Must of been the canoe on the jeep that gave me away.

Actually I do most of my fishing on the Twelve off of Glendale.

Some of the colours of the bass were amazing. Lots of oxygen in this part of the creek due to the hydro dam falls up stream about a mile. That might have something to do with the colours ? Didn't notice any nest Dan, but have noticed more orioles the past few years.Nice to see and I like their song.

B)

*sits waiting for some pics*, you can pm them to me if you want. I did go check out the 12 mile behind Sitel and McPukes ( I gave into temptation and got some McPukes tho). A black Malinois?....never to this day even got too meet let alone see a black Mal. I know they come in that colour and thats the next one on my list to own. My heart bleeds for Shepherds and Mals lol. But i do plan to fish the 12 mile at some point this year. Was a nice hike to get to it tho...

ts amazing that a topic about "cats" turns into a conversation about dogs.LOL. just wondering tho, the pics with the bass i always thought you werent supposed to suspend them horizontally by the lip because there is a potential for jaw damage

Don't mean to be a smart a$$ but if it were that dangerous to their health don't you think they would do it differently on all the pro circuits? And I believe you mean vertically.

The 12 mile ( can be called a river) , is a system that is basically land locked . Fish from L.Ont .cannot enter the 12 since there is a dam at Pt.Dalhousie & only eels can climb the 4 falls ,I believe . At the top end there is the Decew power plant & the generators would kill most fish that happened to come down the 300' drop from L.Moodie . In the 50's we would catch a lot of suckers , mud cats ,channels & some bass . A few pike were caught in nets when smelts were thick in there in the slow backwashes (eddies) . Over the years the water is much clearer ,& bass , pike ,musky,pannies & big channels are now caught . I have seen good numbers of bait fish lately & there's lots of weed cover to keep the bait fish producing . There are some very dangerous spots where the current is swift and the bank has been eaten away to create a deep drop off . This is no place for non swimmers to wade into the water ,be very careful . I have had good luck with large minnows for the cats . They seem to go after the lively minnows better than dead bait . Others may have done well with their own (secret formula) & I'm all ears if you want to share ........ :)

:roflblack:B)

Archived