Fishing from a kayak in Lower Niagara area

bk@citysound.com

Hi again,

I'm considering bringing our kayaks for my son and myself when we visit the area. I enjoy fishing from the kayaks on the Upper Delaware, but I'm a little concerned about being in turbulent water on the Niagara, particularly for my 13 year old son.

I've heard that people put in at Youngstown, paddle upriver to Lewiston, then turn around and head back. This sounds great.

Are there other spots that I should consider that are good for paddling/fishing? Does anyone know about Buckhorn Island? Or Hyde Park Lake?

regards,

Bob

Sorry I can't help you on the American side. I know Strawberry Island area should be good because it's so wide and the current is spread out. Any boater that fishes that side should be able to give input about safe waters on the Upper. I go everywhere on this side but I don't bring the boys.

Guest Rapala Boy
I go everywhere on this side but I don't bring the boys.

Hey chilli......I'd be very interested to get my Trident on there....can you tell me the safe and sound spots for such a kayak. Looking for anywhere there that can hold salmon to troll for, Thanks!

Hey chilli......I'd be very interested to get my Trident on there....can you tell me the safe and sound spots for such a kayak. Looking for anywhere there that can hold salmon to troll for, Thanks!

I don't know of any safe waters on the Niagara for a kayak. I'd never recommend it but if guys are crazy enough to join me then I don't mind the company. However telling someone where to launch vs telling them where safe water is, is a different thing. I found the Lower Niagara tough because of the current. Much of it is basically a one way ride. If you have a kayak you can carry you can launch anywhere but your probably doing some climbing. I do carry mine down the hills and through the woods. The Upper Niagara is much easier.

Guest Rapala Boy

Are people allowed to go all the way to the maid of the mist from a kayak? Italo from canadian-sportfishing is always smoking fish there with spinners and kwikfish.

....god bless you, Rapala Boy Labignan

I don't know of any safe waters on the Niagara for a kayak. I'd never recommend it but if guys are crazy enough to join me then I don't mind the company. However telling someone where to launch vs telling them where safe water is, is a different thing. I found the Lower Niagara tough because of the current. Much of it is basically a one way ride. If you have a kayak you can carry you can launch anywhere but your probably doing some climbing. I do carry mine down the hills and through the woods. The Upper Niagara is much easier.

I've never been to the area before and would like to ask a little more about this. So you wouldn't recommend going from the mouth of the Niagara up to Lewiston and back? Is the current too dangerous?

As for the Upper Niagara, can you recommend a place to put in and do a loop trip?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

I've never been to the area before and would like to ask a little more about this. So you wouldn't recommend going from the mouth of the Niagara up to Lewiston and back? Is the current too dangerous?

As for the Upper Niagara, can you recommend a place to put in and do a loop trip?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

No what I'm saying is I won't recommend the Niagara River for a kayak at all because there is plenty of dangerous water and lots of newbies who might read this and I don't want to feel responsible for an accident. I myself found it nearly impossible to climb the current in the Lower. The Upper is dangerous but I do kayak there. Thompson's hole in Fort Erie is the largest back eddy that I know of and you can drift in circles forever if the wind doesn't blow you out of the loop but be warned there are hazards on top of the huge wakes made by houseboats.

If yaking the upper you have to know the waters somewhat too. You can be traveling at quite a clip then run into inches of water over jagged rock which means you'll lose your bottom just before hitting the rough stuff under the Peace Bridge. I would gladly recommend places for a friend who the waters but I can't responsibly suggest places to kayak in the Niagara River to someone I don't know. If your experience in rapids your likely good to go just about anywhere. You can go around Navy Island but be warned that if you capsize your going over the falls if no one helps you.

I know I may not have much to say on the subject, since I have all of one kayak trip under my belt (if you call that a trip, it was more of a lesson). But personally, I think anyone who kayaks the Niagara, upper or lower, is a bit crazy. I've told chilli that a few times. I'm rather impressed he made it to Navy Island, but I wouldn't do it without some sort of power. Not paddle power, either. I'd want at least 5 horses pushing me across.

No what I'm saying is I won't recommend the Niagara River for a kayak at all because there is plenty of dangerous water and lots of newbies who might read this and I don't want to feel responsible for an accident. I myself found it nearly impossible to climb the current in the Lower. The Upper is dangerous but I do kayak there. Thompson's hole in Fort Erie is the largest back eddy that I know of and you can drift in circles forever if the wind doesn't blow you out of the loop but be warned there are hazards on top of the huge wakes made by houseboats.

If yaking the upper you have to know the waters somewhat too. You can be traveling at quite a clip then run into inches of water over jagged rock which means you'll lose your bottom just before hitting the rough stuff under the Peace Bridge. I would gladly recommend places for a friend who the waters but I can't responsibly suggest places to kayak in the Niagara River to someone I don't know. If your experience in rapids your likely good to go just about anywhere. You can go around Navy Island but be warned that if you capsize your going over the falls if no one helps you.

Thanks Chilli. I appreciate your comments and cautions. Particularly since I've never even seen the river. I will plan on a different kayak trip with my son in safer, more calm water. But I am still very excited to come up and fish the river!

Are people allowed to go all the way to the maid of the mist from a kayak? Italo from canadian-sportfishing is always smoking fish there with spinners and kwikfish.

....god bless you, Rapala Boy Labignan

No and No.. Best case scenario is you will be arrested. Note.... That is the best case scenario. If you are arrested buy yourself a lottery ticket after being released.

Worst case you will be dead.

There really isn't anything in between.

• 10 months later...

I have canoed many times in the lower river at Queenston. If you put in at the old boat ramp by Willowbank, now a path down to the region pump house the water is relatively calm and you can hug the west shore and go downriver Be sure to wear a proper flotation device and equipment. Lots of Bass, Gar Pike and huge carp

Whirlpoolhunter

Another suggestion is that if you have two Kayakers or Canoists, you could park a car at Navy Hall, take the Kayaks up to Queenston and have explore the river that way. It sound lazy I know, but could be fun. Many kids tube the river this way, which I don't recommend due to the fact power craft may not see you.

Whirloolhunter

Archived