Pier 8 Hamilton Harbour

hammercarp

Hey guys. I have fished Pier 8 several times this season with no results. I went there yesterday evening and caught a few. I also lost a lot of fish. So I decided to head out there today and see if changing my tactics would work. I got there before 8am and set up. I used oat pack and puffs. I switched to a smaller hook and a lighter hook link and fished the same spot as last night. BINGO! I caught a pile of fish including a nice little mirror.

Pier8mirrorMedium.jpg

A close up.

CopyofPier8mirrorMedium.jpg

So go get em boys!

My thanks to local angler Donald Kolenko for the picture and helping me net a few.

"Into each life a little rain must fall" I don't know who said that but sometimes it sucks. I think I would have broke 40 if I didn't have to move because of the tour boat from the US docked and security asked me to move. Then when I got them going at the other spot the rain came.

But having said that I had a great morning fishing and rain can't change that. I met a guy who just joined CAG. I first met him last Sunday on Pier 8. He was fishing the spot Lara had during the derby. He saw her catch and so the next day he was there. He also caught some. He was so pumped by his first carp he joined the Carp Anglers Group. :lol: So my hat is off to you lara.

"ecin rorrim" .....very good Ketch ! That's the second mirror carp posted by you Hammer ...way to go ! It's been a long time since I caught one , last one came from L.Moodie . You must be having a blast there . Now, about that rain........I heard on the Hamilton news we may get up to 60mm ......That would change the eco/fishing for us for a while . I'll take advantage of it tomorrow and pick a bunch of fat dewies .

Well done, Lorne. We hardly got a drop our way. Never rained til 4 in Waterloo, and only started around 6 in Grimsby. It is much needed in the field though.

Nice looking fish Lorne. How do those mirrors taste anyway :lol:

I don't know. But I have been thinking about doing a post where I catch, clean and cook up some carp. There are some local places where the water is nice and clean and they have no history of industry or logging polluting the water. They hold plenty of carp under 10 lbs and they would be the right size for the table.

Funky mirror. Ever see a leather come out of the Harbour, or Ontario?

My grandfather used to eat carp out of the Grand, I wasn't a fan. Maybe a Louisiana gumbo or blackened carp?

Then there's the most popular carp recipe out there:

Cut a cedar board just a little bit bigger than the carp

Place the carp on board and season to taste

Cover with slices of onion & lemon

Drizzle everything in lemon juice

Cook in oven for 3 hrs at 350 degrees

Remove the board and the carp from the oven

Throw away the carp and eat the board

My grandfather used to eat carp out of the Grand, I wasn't a fan. Maybe a Louisiana gumbo or blackened carp?

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: good one.....

No I have never seen or heard of a leather caught in all of N. America.

:roflblack: Not only is that the most popular carp recipe out there it also the oldest.

I've seen a variation used for cooking shad. Call it Hickory Shad. Same instructions, just switch the carp for shad and the cedar for a slab of hickory. I liked the flavour better.

Archived