Good baits

DarkEdge

Ok, so I haven't really bass fished in... almost 27 years. I only started into it a few months ago, using soft plastics (everything before that was on hard baits, and it was more luck than skill).

So I inquire. I know senkos are good on bass, along with pretty much any fish looking plastic, tubes, and just about anything that'll make it hungry or mad. But what about smallies? I know the Gulp baits have been good producers, but I'm too broke to afford a $23 tub of them. Plus, being a newbie, it wouldn't be smart to tear up expensive baits trying to finesse them. Are there other shapes, sizes, colours, textures, flavours, etc. that will get me into some?

This is more opinion than anything. I'm looking to learn, and finally be as good a fisherman as I like to think I am. -_- So by all means, contribute your personal favourites, and if you're feeling extra generous, maybe some tips and techniques I could try to get some fish. Because I'm getting bored with eating :dunno:.

Guest UglyFish

just about any plastic bait can be riggin in some way shape or form for smallies. tubes are a go too. strike zone slammers are awesome and one of my go to baits, shakey worms and finesse worms, goby style baits.

do urself a favour... go buy a fishing magazine, u can learn a crap load about new and different techniques and baits, rigging and just a wealth of info that can help u out.

plastic tubes are my favorite for smallies and largies but pretty much anything you use for largies you can use for smallies just fish different areas, largemouth like slow water, in heavy cover, smallmouth like faster current with rocks and sparse cover

Trigger X tubes are one of my favourites. They're super juicy and smell like farts. Just be sure to take it off of the hook before you put it back in your box. (anyone who has done it knows what I mean)

You could also give some craws or creature baits a try. Heavy jigheads. Drag and twitch along the bottom. The key is to stir up the bottom and bump it over rocks like (obviously) a crayfish would.

I've just started using Dragons. can't remember what brand they are, but they are in a black palstic wrapper at CT. they work awesome. they stink, have great action and they are lined with hundreds of suckers that hold bubbles of air and release them in the water. they've worked very well so far. I also like the Gulp fake leeches too. you can't beat the good old tube either. as said, it's a go to bait. if you want to further increase your odds with a tube, you can crush up an Alka Seltzer or polydent................basically anything that fizzes on water contact. you put it in the tube and put a bit of cotton in the end. the cotton allows the water to get in slowly and the tablet fizzes and it escapes out the a$$ end of the tube. it attracts Bass like crazy and it ticks them off enough to strike the tube. it worked great at Rennie Park two nights ago. caught a 3lb largie on that exact rig. Triiger X brand stuff is also very good, but pricey.

Rich

Economical and productive.

A pack of green watermelon Senkos. $7

A pack of size 1 Gamakatsu octopus hooks

A pack of small "O" rings from the hardware store.

Slide the "O" ring over the bait towards the middle. Slip the hook under the "O" ring. That bait will last after 20 fish.

Falls too slow? Stick an nail cut into a 1 inch piece either in the tail or head of the Senko.

$11 and you are all done.

...and works like a charm.

DE, try fishing flukes (I like the zoom super fluke junior rigged on a 3/o EWG hook weightless). You can fish em on or just below the surface like you would a jerkbait, only it won't dive as deep. Great for above weedbeds! Best part about them is the strike, almost better than a top water strike, they just slam them. Try white!

Archived