hunting education course

basskicker09

My son took the course there. The advantage of taking it there was it could be done over 1 weekend instead of two like other instructors do. He ended up getting his PAL and his hunting licence. The PAL is a non-restricted licence meaning you can possess or acquire non-restricted firearms such as a shotgun. If you want to take another course to receive your restricted you can at most of these instructors. The atmosphere is relaxed and no real working weapons are on site except for the one the firearms dealer next door brings in as an advertised special.

For more info from the source visit: http://ohep.net/ but for some reason when I use the instructor locator it doesn't find Silverdale: http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/Courses.html . Myself I took the course with John Kellaway: http://firearmseducationschool.com/

John has the earlies date open as of now for the full course but if you just want to hunt with a bow I think you can take the Hunted Ed program without the firearms course (don't quote me on that one). After doing the search though I see there are quite a few instructors around Niagara now so use the search tool from the OHEP website: http://ohep.net/InstSearch.cfm

Good luck Rob and I know you will enjoy the course B)

Yes it does...I dont have the regs infront of me but I believe an H1 licence is guns/bows and an H2 is bows only.Turkey you need a whole other course put on by the OFAH they usually do it at Brock in the spring.

Getting the license is the easy part, once you complete the course you go to Service Ontario on St.Paul street in St. Kitts they give you a temp outdoors card. You can then buy your tags, Small game has no special conditions attached to it - Deer however, being that we live in Southern Ontario the gun hunt is a controlled hunt so that only so many people have tags at once and you must enter into a draw same thing as with antlerless but both of those deadlines have passed. Ducks you will need your small game and a migratory birds license from the post office. Then you need to get permission to hunt land and ensure it is not in an No Fire Zone. - hope this jumbled mess helps

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is in regards to your firearms license PAL. If you want to hunt with a gun you will need to have this first. You will have to apply for it and I believe it takes 6+ weeks to process. The only exceptions are if you are using archery equipment. Until then you cannot purchase any guns as well. The laws can seem complicated but it is worthwhile when done. Ask the instructor you have as I'm sure he can answer all your questions.

Rob there are two courses to take.

Hunter education: This will score you your hunting licence bare bones and tags are separate. You can't hunt with guns if you only take this course but you can hunt archery.

Firearms PAL: This allows you to buy, possess and use certain firearms. If you want to hunt with a gun you must take this course or.............

The "One stop" course which is both the above put together. IF/when you complete this course you will receive your hunting licence, firearms licence and a whole lot of knowledge about the laws, etiquette and wildlife biology. Judging by your dates I'd say this is the course your enrolled in. If Doug is your instructor your going to have a good weekend in school. The guy next door who owns the gun shop scares the living hell out of me :lol: .

Make sure you go in a little early or go out back at lunch to check out the range. Man were there ever some big cannons going off when I was there.

BTW you'd better not be in a big hurry to get your PAL. The hunting licence will come quick but the firearms stuff is a serious matter and can't be rushed. Once again don't quote me but I think you can borrow a gun to hunt with before getting your PAL if the gun owner is with you. My friends get to shoot my gun without taking the course. How else would they know it was worth investing the time and money :P

Hunter education: This will score you your hunting licence bare bones and tags are separate. You can't hunt with guns if you only take this course but you can hunt archery.

Not that this is really important right now, but I thought that if a bow is used for hunting it's considered a firearm under law? which requires a PAL?

Good luck getting your PAL - a lot of time and running around required but I think it's worth it. I took the non-restricted course at Silverdale and Dark_Edge took the non-restricted and restricted courses.

These are the steps to actually getting your PAL:

- Take the firearms safety course (I think my instructor was Doug too). You will gain a lot of good knowledge, get to handle guns with all the different types of actions etc. You will take a final test. One part is written, the other part will require you to know your different actions and ammunition types, including loading/unloading, how to properly transport, how to hold in the field etc.

- You will write your name and address on an envelope and give it to the instructors. Everything gets mailed off by them.

- You will receive the same envelope back in the mail holding a copy of your course/test results.

- Print off or get your hands on a copy of the actual PAL application. Fill out everything (you will need to include photos of yourself, as well as get people who have known you 3+ years to sign it as a type of guarantor). Include a photo copy of the PAL course sheet you received back in the mail. * Note: When you fill out your information while taking the course you will need to include a piece of valid ID (passport, driver's license etc.) When you fill out the PAL application form make sure these 2 pieces of ID match on both pieces.

- Mail!

- You should receive your PAL in a few months.

For the record, our classroom instructor was Neil Mooney, and we both had different practical instructors.

Personally, I thought the test was simple. Maybe too simple, if you've ever even handled a firearm before. Might be my background, but I took both tests, and never cracked the book for either. But then, any of the guys on here that know me personally, know I've had my guns in my head for a lot longer than most people. (For the record, I've been shooting since I was four.)

Not that this is really important right now, but I thought that if a bow is used for hunting it's considered a firearm under law? which requires a PAL?

You don't need your PAL for a bow although most municipal bylaws list it as a firearm so this just means you can't fire it where a gun can't be fired unless there is an exception for bows. If you break this law it is not a federal offence but the city bylaw officer might get a call. If you get a hunting licence you can hunt with a bow without your PAL. Of coarse once again I'm just a guy on a forum and rules change so if your not sure then make sure you call the CFO or OMNR and ask the source of enforcement. I have both certifications so it doesn't matter what I think ;)

Good to know. I don't have a bow so I'm probably not the best source. And now that I think about it, this thread is probably the best place to give misleading info to someone who hasn't taken the course yet! lol.

But Rob, in all seriousness, it's alot simpler than it might seem right now. Everything is explained to you in perfect detail about 5 or 6 times when you take the course. They make sure that everything gets through even the thickest skulls. It's a great course and very helpful. I wish I could find somewhere that had advanced courses that start where the training course leaves off. I would take it in a second.

• 1 month later...

It took my son 6 months for the PAL to arrive , trust me its a slow process. RCMP called him and asked him a list of questions aswell as the reference person you have to put down.

Safe hunting

It took my son 6 months for the PAL to arrive , trust me its a slow process. RCMP called him and asked him a list of questions aswell as the reference person you have to put down.

Safe hunting

Archived