Need help choosing fishing line

shimano25

Hey everyone,

I need help finding a good fishing line that is BOTH virtually invisible and strong enough to handle large fish like carp, catfish, pike, etc. Does anyone know any? I tried Berkley Fireline Crystal (20lbs) but I seem to skunk on those (I do better on mono, but they get too thick when you get to the 20lbs range). Any suggestions? Thanks.

fused crystal is about the best braided line you can buy. it's strong enough for any fish you are likely to tackle with and it disappears in the water which means you don't ahve to use flouro leaders, like you do with other braided lines. I use it on all my reels these days. you can't beat it IMHO.

I haven't used it, but everyone I know who has raves about the Seagar floro. A bit pricey, but it'll take anything you can throw at it.

Myself, personally, I use mono or braid. Depends on the rod, and what I'm fishing for.

I found the crystal or invis braid turns white after a while and makes it show up worse...I like Spiderwire Ultra Cast with flouro leader.

Basically what you're saying is that over time the crystal invisible braid lines become useless over time (if you're trying to maintain low visibility) and should be replaced with new ones?

I just used the Bulk Bass Pro brand or any other brand 12 lb line on carp and Salmon fishing, the rest of landing success is proper drag setting on a decent reel, and the bait you are using.

If you fish regularly for carp, bullheads or salmon, I suggest buy a longer rod of at least 9-12ft long, Shimano Convergence is a good all around rod and comes with lifetime limited warranty. The rod is also good, versatile, enough backbone for cranking with lures on heavy current at the whirlpool.

For steelheading, the convergence is a little bit too stiff and heavy, but still manageable if you cannot afford a lighter steelhead rod.

Carp , catfish, pike or Salmon are not too finicky on visibility on lines. If you do not want to tie flouro leader on your braided mono line, stick to mono, it is very close to being invisible, and still cheap to buy. Getting skunk has little to do with the line when fishing for the group of fish you mentioned. I landed carp, catfish pike and Salmon with both braided and mono lines. When the fish are ready to bite, your line is the least of your concern, the bait or lure presentation is far more crucial to your succcess in fishing.

I have successfully landed numerous 20lber+ salmon or carp on a 12 lb inexpensive mono line with no problem.

I just used the Bulk Bass Pro brand or any other brand 12 lb line on carp and Salmon fishing, the rest of landing success is proper drag setting on a decent reel, and the bait you are using.

If you fish regularly for carp, bullheads or salmon, I suggest buy a longer rod of at least 9-12ft long, Shimano Convergence is a good all around rod and comes with lifetime limited warranty. The rod is also good, versatile, enough backbone for cranking with lures on heavy current at the whirlpool.

For steelheading, the convergence is a little bit too stiff and heavy, but still manageable if you cannot afford a lighter steelhead rod.

Carp , catfish, pike or Salmon are not too finicky on visibility on lines. If you do not want to tie flouro leader on your braided mono line, stick to mono, it is very close to being invisible, and still cheap to buy. Getting skunk has little to do with the line when fishing for the group of fish you mentioned. I landed carp, catfish pike and Salmon with both braided and mono lines. When the fish are ready to bite, your line is the least of your concern, the bait or lure presentation is far more crucial to your succcess in fishing.

I have successfully landed numerous 20lber+ salmon or carp on a 12 lb inexpensive mono line with no problem.

Amen.

When i was broke last summer, i used wal mart bulk spool line 12lb mono, that line was so cheap, and i landed sheepies, carp (up to 17lbs), channels, etc. No problem, a good rod and proper drag/fighting techniques will land you fish.

When i got my first carp rod last summer, i used 20lb spiderwire braid, because i got it for free haha. It was alright, dont like the no stretch, had a few hook pulls at the net with that. Now i just use suffix elite 12lb mono clear, cheap as hell, and virtually memory resistant. Works good on my carp rod (wychwood solace 12' 3.5lb TC) and my 6'6 med action rhino rod (used for carping/multi species angling in smaller spots) on both rods i use my shimano baitrunner 4500b (a little bulky for my rhino, but works just the same).

Moral of the story, spend the money on the rod/reel, and learn how to use your drag/play the fish proper, and save on line.

Fishfight said it best!

I haven't had that problem with the Crystal line and I've used it for well over a year now and I fish almost every day. it still looks the same as the day I bought it, in and out of the water. you could have had a bad batch, fluke, or I've somehow managed to keep mine in perfect condition. I tend not to believe that, as I'm usually pretty hard on fishing gear. LOL.

Wal-store bulk line is what I use on most of my gear. From 6-10 pound, occasionally something higher. Right now I have one rod lined with 30# Power Pro. It was intended for carp fishing in light to moderate current, a stiff line with plenty of pull (to get fish where I wanted them, without worrying about breakage).

Fishfight was right about lure presentation being most important. Especially for pike. What good is invisible line going to do if you tie a steel leader to the end of it? Unless you know where to buy clear steel leaders (and by all means, share your secret), it's a waste of time.

Also, and I might be imagining things, but it seems to me that green braid disappears almost completely in muddy/silty/polluted (because so much is now a days). I've caught carp, bass, and turtles on my braid, no floro or mono leader. Personally, I've never used leaders unless I was fishing for toothy fish.

fused crystal is about the best braided line you can buy. it's strong enough for any fish you are likely to tackle with and it disappears in the water which means you don't ahve to use flouro leaders, like you do with other braided lines. I use it on all my reels these days. you can't beat it IMHO.

I am using 6lb Crystal right now on my dropshot rig and I still use a 6lb Flouro leader in clear water. And it does still show in the water...if you can see it the fish can too! Unless your are fishing the Grand River or Black Creek where the visibility is only a foot or so, then yes you can bypass the leader. Yes, it doesn't show in the water as much as a green or black braid...but it still shows. Increase the chances of catching fish and add a leader. Plus, braid floats so the 2-3 feet of flouro helps keep the bait down better. The clearer the water the longer the leader. On Erie, if there is no chop or waves I will use 6' leader...if it has chop where it breaks up the light penetration you can go to a 3' to 4' leader.

Also use a light leader. Clear water 4-6lb # and in stained/dirty go to 8lb #.

Tight Lines!

Archived