Welland River

Phranchise

Yes I spent my whole morning on the river from 7 until 12 and only a single strike and miss, a blowup on my frog in some pads. I have been throwin everything at them lately (bass) without much success. Anyone else having the same problem during the fall transition or is it just me? Nonetheless it was a beautiful day to kayak. No wind!!

Yes I spent my whole morning on the river from 7 until 12 and only a single strike and miss, a blowup on my frog in some pads. I have been throwin everything at them lately (bass) without much success. Anyone else having the same problem during the fall transition or is it just me? Nonetheless it was a beautiful day to kayak. No wind!!

Not sure exactly where on the river you were, but right now on the east side of Merritt Island is so weeded the fish couldn't see you bait if they wanted to. Never had much luck this time of year in the river other then a few certain spots. We have had plenty of luck before August. Pike, Bass, Musky and Pickerel non stop.

Thanks for the tips. I was fishing the east side of the island, and yes it was extremely weedy. I worked lipless crankbaits for half the morning along good looking weedbeds and drops with no avail. I guess I will have to just keep at it. Or head over to the rec.

Thanks for the tip Bruce. I did see lots of them skurrying in and out of the weed beds, what do you think match one the best, a small inline spinner?

Right now because the water still hasn't cooled off too much I like using standard 2-3" stick baits. They seem to work pretty well for me. Once the water temps drop and they start to move slower, so should the bait. Usually around late september, early october. Finesse rigged minnows (gulp alive are awesome) and senkos. I'm no pro mind you, this just works well for me.

Here's a tip when you have a blow up on a bait "Do Not Set the Hook" until you feel the fish. That's when you miss 99% of the fish :clapping:

And yes it takes a lot of self diciplene to get used to it.

Where the heck is that spell checker?

O yes, I have learned that the hard way but I have gotten much better at it. Problem with this strike was that he basically just came up and smashed it, I waited to see if it he had taken it but he hadn't, so no hookset at all :roflblack:

I think I will take a little bit of everyones advice and give some small x raps and finesse baits a try.

Also on a side note, I do not usually fish for walleye, but what sort of structure should I be looking for in the river that would hold them this time of year? (Not asking for any spots) And what would be my best bet, jigs? worm harnesses? crankbaits?

I just had that happen behind McPukes on Ontario St the other day. was fishing with a worm and was reeling it in when a Bass smashed the hell out of it on the surface. I tried setting it too fast and lost it. Bass 1, me 0. LOL.

Archived