Glow spoons

DarkEdge

Some basic questions, because I think I got screwed.

Does the type of paint used on a spoon change how long/bright is glows? Is there any way to charge spoons to last longer, other than a camera flash?

I bought some discount spoons recently, and they only glow for 10-15 minutes each time I charge them. Would clear coating them help? They'll get me through this season, and over the winter when I'm snowed in my basement, I'll most likely be upgrading the paint on them. But right now, I need something that'll help make the glow last longer.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

ive seen two versions ... the generic ones from petes ... my rule with them is a reflash of them every 5 casts or so.

I saw another kind a few years ago, the glow lasted much longer but they were mostly in a flutter style spoon so you were limited to casting distance.

I have a pocket flashlight that has about 6 led lights in a small circle .....very bright ! I have heard guys say if you hold the light on a lure for about 30 sec. the glow spoon will last longer than a milli-second flash from a camera . BTW....nice to meet you today !

It depends on the spoon. The cheap ones will maybe last you the 10-15 minutes like you mentioned, the good ones can last up to 3 hours if charged right. We have been using flash lights lately and letting them charge for about 5 minutes or so. The cheap ones last about 20 minutes, the good ones last for at least an hour even thought they claim 3 hrs. However I do find you get a much stronger glow from a good flash compared to a flashlight, but the flashlights seem to last longer from what I have seen.

I've tried the sun, standard light bulbs at varying distances, three different camera flashes, and LED flashlight, and even an LED pure ultraviolet light. The last was left on for more than an hour, and still only got 15 or so minutes of glow out of it. Same goes for the LED flashlight. I'm wondering if clear coating would help at all.

Ok store bought glow spoons usually last 10 casts max before they need recharging. A black light works awesome and can be picked up at some hobby stores. I ordered powder from Glow Inc in the States. They can ship powder easy across the border and you need only mix it woth clear nail polish. I bought some spoon blanks and made my own glows. No, I havent perfected the process and the spoons are a little rough, but they glow 3x at least longer than the store bought ones (depending on the colours as some glow longer)

Honestly I have caught salmon off the piers with non glow spoons also, rattle traps and j-13s.

Try looking at a local Value Village for a used camera flash, or even a used camera with a flash...good luck!

Those generic glow spoon ones sold by Peters are the worse glow spoon I found and will get worse as time goes by. Glow Cleo are fine. Some glow tape are also fine, but i have a hard time finding them these days, it used to be sold at the dollar stores. However, the weight of Peter's glow spoon are perfect for using it on whirlpool. I have to fix the problem by tweaking my glow lures. HOw?

The best glow product is to buy the industrial strength glow powder at ebay and make your own. The glow last a long time and very bright, I just mixed the powder with clear Urethane and placed them on all my lures. However the background of the lure you are using has to be white or as light as possible.

I also use pure UV LED light used for currency detection, they charge better than a Camera flash, so easy to carry like a penlight. Some dollar store sold them but hard to find, I know one store in Toronto dwontown who has them. It is the UV rays that make a glow material lights up. Camera flash unfortunately is not pure UV. I have not carried a bulky camera flash for few years since I discovered the advantage of the UV pen.

How bright do you really want your spoons to be? You're not trying to blind those fish, just piss 'em off. Trust me, if they can find food 150' down in the lake, then they can see your "dull" glow spoon in 10 feet, at night as it passes by their face. Brighter is NOT necessarily better. Focus more on the speed of your retrieve and the presentation of your lure and you'll soon realize that those spoons from Pete's are well worth their meagre cost.

It's not about the power of the glow, it's the length of it. I'm trying to find a way to make them last longer between charges. Right now I'm getting between 5-15 minutes of glow between charges. Most everything else I know glows for hours. So I'm wondering if I just got cheaply painted spoons (well, I know I did, but wondering if there's anything to help them), or if that's normal for them.

I've read a little bit, and I'll most likely be repainting these over the winter. So hopefully that will fix a lot of my problem. I know they should have a white base coat (these don't, you can still see the imitation Red Devil stripe under a few of them), and that the quality of the paint does make a difference. I know how bright they should glow. Now I have to work on how long.

I went out the other night and I found that the Pete's spoons actually glow BRIGHTER than my cleo's... both stayed charged about the same time, 4-5 casts. Value village camera/flash all the way $2 - $3 and you're set

I went out the other night and I found that the Pete's spoons actually glow BRIGHTER than my cleo's... both stayed charged about the same time, 4-5 casts. Value village camera/flash all the way $2 - $3 and you're set

I agree with Broods. when i was fishing bronte with the cheap spoons I out fish everyone on the pier that night. and my buddy was useing a cleo and recharged it about every 5th cast I think I charged my spoon maybe 5 times only in 2 hours of fishing. so if anyone wants to fish of a pier with me and have a small contest with the cheap spoons and whatever you want to use let me know.

Look up fortune spoons. Best spoons out there period. Serious glow times and the best color selection out there.

RB

Just Googled "Fortune spoons". Got a website, but it's a dead site now. No information, no contact numbers, no nothing. The same page linked to every colour.

Any information or a print catalog would be helpful.

I've been using Moonshine Spoons for several years now.

Trolling and casting. They definitely glow longer than average spoons.

You can buy homemade ones that glow forever at Angling Outfitters in Woodstock... Luremaking.com sells the super glow powder should you decide to DIY.

I think over the winter, DIY is the way I'm going. I'll order a jar or two of paint, maybe even some other stuff from them, and repaint all the ones I have now.

Super glow paint from Luremaking.Com. It comes either as a powder you mix with whatever resin you want (epoxy coated lures are insanely tough), or as a heat activated powder coat that is easy to use and glows just as bright as a Moonshine.

http://luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-..._dark_heat_.htm

If it can be shipped across the border then it's a crappy glo paint, Luremaking.Com are a Canadian company. They also have alot of kits to make a lot of other lures stupid cheap.

DO NOT USE AN LED LIGHT TO CHARGE GLO LURES, LIGHT EMITTING DIODES DO NOT EMIT THE UV LIGHT WAVELENGTHS NEEDED TO ACTIVATE GLO PAINT. Mini blacklights to check for counterfeit money are available, and are tiny, and charge glo paint like nobody's business. Use those.

Pretty much any store bought spoon has the cheap crappy paint on it, except for Moonshine's and their casting spoons have a crap action to them. DIY is definitely the way to go, and at less than $2/spoon it's a no brainer.

Those generic glow spoon ones sold by Peters are the worse glow spoon I found and will get worse as time goes by.

Well I don't know what they are selling now but I just used one that Peter sold me himself right after he moved to that location and it held the glow for quite some time. They were flutter spoons and he told me his secret to a better glow. After you paint the spoon white you give it plenty of time to dry between coats. You then add each layer of glow paint very sparingly. very light multiple coats are far superior to one thick coating.

DO NOT USE AN LED LIGHT TO CHARGE GLO LURES, LIGHT EMITTING DIODES DO NOT EMIT THE UV LIGHT WAVELENGTHS NEEDED TO ACTIVATE GLO PAINT.

I used my kids LED light on Friday and it worked fine. It was small compact and had about 7 tiny LED lights inside. I simply ran it up and down the spoon about 3 times and I was good for another 10 or so casts. Oddly enough the salmon in my freezer was caught on my last cast as the lure was fading and I only had 2 other bumps that night. It was a little shaker/eater but none the less I was the only one of the 3 of us that landed one that night.

One more tip DE. Bring a hook sharpener. If you get the tinyest of snags run it over your hook. The hook is also the most important part of the lure so make sure it's offset and super sharp. If you can slide it across your thumbnail without it catching then it's too dull

I used my kids LED light on Friday and it worked fine. It was small compact and had about 7 tiny LED lights inside. I simply ran it up and down the spoon about 3 times and I was good for another 10 or so casts.

Have to charge it again every 10 casts! Think how many more fish you could've caught if your bait was in the water instead of your hand, how many HOURS of fishing are you loosing in a season having to charge your spoon so often. At the end of a season if you could go back and fish for 2 more hours, would you say no? Well here's how you can TRAVEL THROUGH TIME fishing for salmon!

Okay, mebbe a tad over the top. I zap my spoons before I leave MY HOUSE, fish them for a few hours, zap again, and they'll glow till dawn. Occasionally I'll re-use an older lucky spoon I have that will have the older paint on it and they will drive me nuts. Like braid vs. mono you don't realize how badly something needs changing until you switch, then you'll wonder how you ever managed before.

They definitely need to be painted white before applying super glo, and the glo pigment definitely goes on better in multiple coats, even the powder coat.

Have to charge it again every 10 casts! Think how many more fish you could've caught if your bait was in the water instead of your hand, how many HOURS of fishing are you loosing in a season having to charge your spoon so often. At the end of a season if you could go back and fish for 2 more hours, would you say no? Well here's how you can TRAVEL THROUGH TIME fishing for salmon!

Okay, mebbe a tad over the top. I zap my spoons before I leave MY HOUSE, fish them for a few hours, zap again, and they'll glow till dawn. Occasionally I'll re-use an older lucky spoon I have that will have the older paint on it and they will drive me nuts. Like braid vs. mono you don't realize how badly something needs changing until you switch, then you'll wonder how you ever managed before.

They definitely need to be painted white before applying super glo, and the glo pigment definitely goes on better in multiple coats, even the powder coat.

Some fishermen need to relax and have fun. It takes seconds to run a light over your lure even less with a camera flash. I don't rush anything when i'm fishing, i'm just glad to break free and be out with rod in hand.

Well I don't know what they are selling now but I just used one that Peter sold me himself right after he moved to that location and it held the glow for quite some time. They were flutter spoons and he told me his secret to a better glow. After you paint the spoon white you give it plenty of time to dry between coats. You then add each layer of glow paint very sparingly. very light multiple coats are far superior to one thick coating.

Chilli and CLofchik, the 20 spoons I bought were discounted, made in a hurry, single coat of glow painted. None of them were based white first. Some have a great action, and in regular light, you can still see the imitation "Red Devil" stripe down them. The other ones were some sort of metallic blue, and have just about the worst action I've ever seen. Even with a fading glow 8+ feet away (four for the pier, 6 for me, maybe 2 in the water? That comes to nearly 12, my bad), they just sort of plane through the water, barely twisting.

And most of the spoons I got had been painted and thrown in the bucket so fast, I had six of them all stuck together. Had to use my pocket knife to seperate them. Maybe the old one you got was quality, chilli, but these are most definitely not quality spoons. I'm going to fix that, though.

In related questions, does anyone know where I can get glow paint locally? Even the liquid stuff. And what's the best type, acrylic, oil, water, or some special formula that has to be put on from 9:17pm until 11:04pm on the third Saturday of the month (but only if the number of the day is odd)? I don't care, I just need something that will glow, I don't need heat to put on, and I can do up each night during the week, and fish them on the weekends.

Archived