Lake Manitouwabing (Parry sound Area)

905andy

Fished it quite a bit a fews years back........Walleye fishing was so-so.( I mainly jigged and 1 fish I believe is still in effect).......Lots of pike and bass...........We used to do weel casting xrap's and countdown's around the docks, bays and points.............There is also a huge rock shoal near the middle of the lake that produces......fish the cravasses on the hump..........I'll try and find my map and download it and send it to you ......PM sent

I fished that lake years ago until they reduced the limit and slot size , it's not worth the 3 hour drive I would drag the bottom with bright jigs and minnows, I know a bunch of guys that rent a cottage every year on this lake and they catch maybe a dozen walleye in a week , thats not a lot of walleye for a group of guys, but this lake has great smallmouth fishing and good scenery.

Hello

I am heading to Lake Manitouwabing by Parry sound on October 1st for the weekend. Do any of you have any information or experience on this lake.

Wow, what a small world. I'm going to be on the same lake that weekend. Although not doing much fishing. :roflblack: A couple buddies are having a stag weekend there so we rented a mansion cottage and are going to be partying it up pretty good. I was trying to talk my buddy with a nice boat to bring it up so I could fish but he's not, so I might just paddle around in my canoe.

Good luck and maybe we will both have some good pics to put up on the site when we get back.

I have fished this lake for the last 3 years on the labour day weekend. This year we had about 7-10 small pike, and 3 smallies pushing 3-3 1/2 pounds. bass were caught in shallow pad covered bays and the pike were mostly caught drifting around islands. I have talked to a couple of local fishermen the past few years and they all agree that the majority of the big pike and walleye caught from that lake come from the waters around Tait's Island. That is apparently were the deepest hole in the lake is and your most likely spot to catch a monster. Top water action was also fun in the evening, lots of strikes and multiple fish.

Andy.........Sent you and email with map andsome other info....

Maxco.....There are a few resorts and campgrounds that you can rent boats for areasonable pricef or the day.

http://www.glenwoodresort.ca/directions.html

http://www.riverlakecottages.com/lakes.html

Good Luck

Doodle

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. Doodle, thanks for the map. I will let you know how we do.

cheers

andy

we used to vacation there years ago and fished it quite a bit. drfiting the deeper holes are deffinitely a great way to get big Pike. drop shotting the rock shoals is the best way to get Bass, especially because you are able to put the bait vertically right on their heads. for drop shotting, chartreuse beads on the rig worked the best, but red also produced good too. early evening top water on the weed beds can be a fun experience, as they'll literally smash the baits right off the surface. good luck

Rich

• 7 months later...

Welcome to NFN John. That topic was posted a year ago so the links to the maps might be dead by now. Try the PM message feature to the member who posted the links and perhaps they can repost them or pm you the files.

I have fished manitouwabing for the last 2 summers while working at camp manitou. I would recommend fishing deep, try the shoal in the middle of the lake, but even better fish the drop off right around the Manitou Inn. there are still sizable bass in there, but are really hard to find because the lake has an incredible amount of bait fish. Also, the shallows have never produced for me. Me and my friends have thrown everything in out tackle boxes at weeds and rock outcrops and came out with little to show. Furthermore, Geddy Lee has a cottage on the lake and can be seen biking in and out of McKellar so make sure you have some RUSH playing at all time. There is a small channel that can be see if you go down middle road, there are HUGE channel catfish and big jumbo perch up that way aswell. It leads to Squaw Lake which we have cause some nice walleye in.

good luck! and watch out for rocks on that lake, take your prop clear off

• 5 years later...

I know this is a really old thread ,but I have to share my experience with getti lee, first time we met him his boat broke down ,we towwed him back to his dock "next bay over to us ""smugglers cove" close to inn at the manitou, any ways he invited us back to his cottage "basically mansion" with recording studio inside, I was about 13 years old ,he invited me to play tennis with his daughter (same age as me) played tennis for a while got bored asked if I could fish off his property ,he said no problem , Sw winds thanksgiving weekend 3 foot waves crashing on to the shoreline shoal, 1st cast with a rapala lure (old crayfish colour discontinude) boom 10 lb walter , keeped it walked up the hill with my mom ,got to the "private stone road" started walking then a brand new gmc pickup drove towards us , game warden ,informs my mom the the walter is to big to keep ,she has it wrapped up in my fall camo coat crying and talking to the fish saying "its going to be ok" mom gave him the skinny ,he turned his head, long storey short ,I put the walter in my basement freezer ,two weeks later go to take it out to get it mounted, the freezer was out for about a week was,rotted had to dump it in a dumpster ,sad to waste a fish ,learned a lesson ,dont keep big fish ,let them go like a free spirit !

• 2 years later...

Well my fine friend whom met getti lee lol. Fabulous story. Been on the lake all my life. Geddy Lee has never had s motor boat. i believe the name is Hopkins bay and he has the smallest cottage in the bay. At any rate I could be wrong. As for fishing the lake produces well early in morning and at dusk. I have found even just trolling around your bound to catch a pike. Big Walleye are a tough find but it happens again best times being spring and fall to fish. Summer the lake is fished hard and I saw someone mentioned there is plenty of bait fish around always hoards of minnow off of my dock anyway. Hope everyone enjoys and pls put breeders back. We all want to continue to enjoy the lake. And big fish are horrible to eat anyway 

Fished this lake a ton for 10 years. Used to have a trailer there. LOTS of walleye in there. Lots of structure for them and a few man made spawning grounds for them. Great fishing in June and July. Slows down considerably Aug and on. October was tough to get fish. Never went after thanksgiving wknd as trailer park would close. Try fishing the river past bridge over center rd. Caught some Walters there after September.  Deer bay mite produce fish and the deep water in the center of the lake near Taits island. Beautiful lake and pretty quiet that time of year. As someone stated be careful with the prop. Lots of shoals and submerged rocks

Archived