Fished the 12 for the first time.

Mike Pike

Well, I thought I'd fill up the fishin vest and hit the 12 after work yesterday. I hadn't been to it before and the first thing that surpised me was how fast it runs. I had read lots of post about the current but 'til you get a look at it, you can't really appreciate it.

Anyhoo, I tied on a 1/4 ounce jig with a Gulp minnow to try hook into some bass and started firing it on current edges and some slower water behind abutments and bends in the river, etc. Actually had a nice one on that I got to the surface and the last thing I saw before it spit my hook was it's big, round mouth! Too bad I lost it cuz it was definately pic worthy.

After loosing a few jigs to the bottom, I switched to a tube that i rigged weedless. Got a tap, tap on it once but missed it when I set the hook.

Slowed things down by drifting a worm and nadda.

Still a nice couple of hours, but my question is: What presentations do you use to deal with the current??? I wasn't prepared and thought maybe a sinker at the end of the line with a hook suspended and foot or two up the line( pickerel rig style )would have be advantageous.

I use a pickeral rig sorta a thing and it works quite well, bell weights at least 1oz is perfect if using live bait.

i like to use a slip float suspended 5-6 feet above bait, fish the shelf 5-6 feet or so off shore drift it arond till you find some structure thats holding fish.

when the conditons are right and you have found fish the 12 can be very perductive, i have just started to fish it this year it took a while to find my own little "honey hole" but now with the right weather i have had 20-30 fish smallmouth days. i play with depth in different temps, and use whieght during high winds, but all you need is a slip float some worms and some hooks hope this helped a little.

I've tried fishing the current with the water down. I can tell you this: two ounces of lead isn't enough to bring your bait to the bottom through the current. One day I'll have to go for some of the slower moving areas.

Mike ....I've put in a lot of years at the 12 mile from L.Ont to Effingham creek for brookies . We fished a good spot at Welland Vale when True Temper made garden tools & the creek had a diversion that the factory used for their water needs . That diversion exited at the base of the rapids you see from the bridge .We caught many perch , cats , drum ,carp , bowfin , etc in there & we would sometimes cast a line in the 12 mile & get bass & drum . The current is too fast to hold your bait in most places so we fish the backflows & let the line settle with a 1 oz sinker in the breaks .You can also do a drift style fish there with a 3 way , & let the line roll ,keeping in contact with bottom ,but you may snag up a lot more usually .There are spots where the bottom is clean & I'm on the lookout for more spots myself . I make my own drop shot style rigs from a single piece of 20# mono which allows the hooks to stand out better . Any time we happen to meet I will show you how to tie this rig .I just picked over 100 worms ....loaded out there ! I'll soon be back down there (4 min.drive) and trying a couple new spots I've been eyeballing ! :)

I'm always on the look out for the grumpy old men so I'm sure we'll run into each other one of these times Smerch.

I was thinking about using a 3-way( ala Port D style )so I'll keep that in my back pocket for next time and keep hunting for those backflows, etc.

It's funny, but I fish the Grand and it's tribs so I'm pretty comfortable in a regular river that I can don the waders, walk in up to my waist and cast or drift or float or what-have-you. Then I come to a river like the 12 with a fast current, deep water, steep banks and snag infested bottom and I feel like a newbe fishing for my first time.

You're lucky to live so close and it seems like you take advantage of it.

I appreciate everyones tips and if any of 'em stick inside this thick skull of mine, I'll certainly post my success.

Mike ....I've put in a lot of years at the 12 mile from L.Ont to Effingham creek for brookies . We fished a good spot at Welland Vale when True Temper made garden tools & the creek had a diversion that the factory used for their water needs .

Thought you were old enough to remember when True Temper made steel fishing rods :) My first outfit was a True Temper steel rod with a Inglis (the same people that made washing machines ) made Shakespeare level wind. Also put a lot of time in on that Effingham Creek around 1960 or so, growing up just outside of Ridgeville, knew that place like the back of my hand, where to go and how to sneak into spots you weren't supposed to go :ninja:

Next time the water drops for a rowing event or something, go have a look at the areas your fishing and see what the bottom holds. Quite often you can remove the car parts your getting snagged on or you'll see the tree roots and know how to avoid them.This helped me allot although there are always new car parts arriving.

Next time the water drops for a rowing event or something, go have a look at the areas your fishing and see what the bottom holds. Quite often you can remove the car parts your getting snagged on or you'll see the tree roots and know how to avoid them.This helped me allot although there are always new car parts arriving.

Twelve Mile Creek Auto. New used parts arriving daily?

Archived