what did i find?

spottedGARRR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not possible that it's a dog, but the snout looks very similar to an Opossum. my guess is a rather beat up, partially bloated and decomposed Opossum. a size refference would be good to know, but that's my guess. if you want to get technical, dogs have four pads on their feet that are fairly short fingers, not counting the dew claw which sits further back and partially up the leg. if you look closely, this animal has 5 pads that look like long fingers, which coincides with an Opposum. so it's still my guess, it's deffinitely NOT a dog. the other tell tale sign is in the first pic. a mammal's joint to the foot bends outwards, whereas on a Marsupial (which is what an Opposum is), it bends inwards when naturally relaxed, or stiff from rigor mortis. another tip off is the groin area................it looks very rodent-like, which is a major identifying trait of a Marsupial. all things added up, my guess is deffinitely Opossum.

Wouldn't that be Dr Bring Down? lol

I think the degree of entropy indicates more than 1 week?

No... Not "Dr Bring Down". If you were a "Simpson's" fan from 10 years ago you would have got the "Captain Bring Down" reference.

Also. Where I work we get asked to look for stuff like this all the time.

Guess what a human looks like, after 2-3 days in late summer, warm water. I could describe it to you if you like.

saw something extremely similar to this about a month a go floating around the whirlpool..i was going to take a picture but by the time i took my camera out it had already flowed by....never know what you're going to see flowing down that river...most of the time its just dead fish, ducks, cormorants, and gulls

NO opossum. Teeth are wrong. Feet don't look right either, no claws.

opossum025.jpg

Could raccoon. Teeth look more correct for that.

racoon.jpg

both animals are equally adorable I want one for a pet.

Paws are wrong for raccoon as well. Unless the goby's chewed off the "fingers". They have slightly similar paws to opossum. from the feet and teeth I'd say badger which are on the rise in niagara region

Still looks like it could be a dog

you obviously missed the second picture then. look at the paw on the right...................there are deffinitely claws on that foot.

the other thing I look at is the lower jaw. most possums don't have any teeth on the lower jaw at the front. some have a few but most have none. this animal has a few teeth on the lower jaw, but basically none. they haven't been knocked out either, cause if you look close enough, there's no provision for teeth on the lower jaw. if they were knocked out, you'de still be able to see sockets where the teeth came from. here, there aren't any. paw shape is also wrong for a Racoon. the front fingers of a Racoon are long and slender. these ones, while bloated, are short and stubby. also, on the first pic, if you look to the left of the pic and look closely at the rear paw, you can clearly see an oposable thumb, which is a huge tip off for a Possum.

I agree that a badger is plausible, but without a size reference, I'm still going with an Opposum.

Guest Rockfish

I'd say it's closer to a raccoon.

From all the skull pics I looked at, opossums have 2 top front teeth that stick out similar to a mouse and they do have bottom teeth at the front. Raccoons top teeth are basically straight across like in Joe D's pic. On the back feet of the pics, if it was an opposable thumb, is it missing on the other foot ?

Shows the 2 top protruding teeth.

opossum021.jpg

Opossum skull pic.

skull-opossum.jpg

Archived