Winter storage question

daler

I am planning to store my boat indoors at a compound some distance away....Do most of you jack the trailer up so the wheels are off the ground or does this matter? I likely wont move the boat for 5 months so it will be stationary. I am a first time boat owner and I want to do it right.

many thanks in advance....Dale

I am planning to store my boat indoors at a compound some distance away....Do most of you jack the trailer up so the wheels are off the ground or does this matter? I likely wont move the boat for 5 months so it will be stationary. I am a first time boat owner and I want to do it right.

many thanks in advance....Dale

I have never jacket my trailer off the ground never had any trouble

You would probably be fine to just let it sit on the ground. If you want to have the best storage experience possible I would put it on blocks and also wrap the tires up in garbage bags tightly. This prevents the rubber from oxidizing and becoming hard and britle. It would certainly extend your tire life.

we have ours on gravel, so we wrap ours in garbage bags and also put it on plywood, so it's off the gravel. if it's on concrete or asphalt, you don't need to put it on plywood. if it were longer than 5-6 months, I would say to get the tires off the ground, but it'll be fine for that period of time. :Gonefishing:

I can't say much for boat storage, but I can give some tire insight. Wrapping the tires is mostly important if the trailer will be sitting in the sun. Of course, it doesn't hurt if it's in a closed building. Also, make sure you slightly over-inflate the tires by 5-10 psi. That just ensures that, in the worst case scenario, when you go to pick your boat up, the tires aren't flat. They'll be low, but it'll roll.

Hope that helps.

jacking the tires is a great idea, if there's a moisture problem, such as on dirt or gravel and is a must do procedure, no matter what anyone says. so I agree with Ollie 100%. also, as Scott mentioned, over-inflating the tires by a few percentage points is another good idea, if it's going to be sitting for a while. if it's in heated storage, then you don't have to worry about any of those suggestions, as none of them apply. if it's in a garage or outdoors, I would deffinitely consider at least a few of those suggested.

Further to what D/E stated: I always over inflate the tires a few pounds when I store it. Just so that when the temperature drops the tires are still as inflated as possible. This is mostly just precautionary since it is only stationary for a few months. It just helps to minimize flat spots on your tires. Flat spots=vibration=wear=flat=sad fisherman on the side of the highway :(

Archived