Disgusted...

Guest Pike212

Guest Pike212

Well, went fishing in Dalhousie yesterday. I was disgusted to see a seagull wrapped in fishing line with a roe bag tied on the end. The line was also caught on a dock. Needless to say the bird was dead. Now I personally don't care for gulls but this is just BS. Clean up your crap guys, you give all of us a bad rep!

If the bird dove down and grabbed the bag and then broke the guys line and flew away, how is he supposed to clean it up.

If the bird just got caught on some discarded line then that is terrible and could have been prevented.

Actually pike212 that gull had flown into an anglers line when they had cast and broke off. I know this because it happened just up from where i was fishing the day b4.

There were a few atempts to catch it but nothing could be done unless you were in a boat. Believe me as much as we all don't "love" seagulls

not one person wanted to watch it die like that. I know SOME people throw garbage around but don't point fingers until you are sure about something.

Dave

I think some people are just so fed up with disgusting anglers making the rest of us look bad. So when they see something like a dead seagull wrapped in fishing line, it is easy to point fingers and make assumptions like that. I know when I first read that post I thought, "damn, slob anglers at it again".

I find it disgusting too but why are we posting this, its just going to prevoke opinoins and rants!?

What's wrong with opinions and rants? Opinions feed discussions, which is what a board like this is all about, and rants allow us to let off a little steam directed toward the inconsiderate population and hopefully bring some issues to everyone's attention.

Good post just a little presumptuous. Phranchise said it best I think.

We have to be careful but sometimes life and death happens. Never assume or say it's not my garbage. It is up to everyone to pick it up.

Oh my , again we are talking about fishing tackle garbage . As my sig.says , my #1 concern is fishing LINE .I have a garbage bag full of line in my van ,from 40# mono to 10# braid . When the public sees dead waterbirds tangled in line , anglers get a bad rep . Most of the garbage is Timmies cups & water bottles along the water fronts , but there's plenty of styrofoam worm boxes , tackle wrappers, corn cans , cig butts & packages , and FISHING LINE . Some of our spots are being closed due to frequent garbage pick ups by the city . It's not all anglers fault but the dead gulls, or herons point the finger at us . I have found a nest of line at many spots lately & I just ball it up & stick it in a pocket or in my tackle bag ....no big deal ! I may have saved a water bird or two from dying who knows ? All the other garbage looks unsightly , but is relatively harmless to the birds . .....so please ,don't throw line away & pick up line that you happen to see at your fav.fishing hole . Accidents happen & I have had close calls with crazy gulls diving for my minnows as they hit the water & we can only do so much to get the gull & remove the line . On a good note.....I have also seen lots of line make it to the garbage can !

a few weeks ago, I caught a Cormorant quite by accident. I was casting out from behind the legion, the lure hit the water and as my line was settling on the water, this bird flew by and caught my line. I don't know how much line it dragged off my reel, but it was a fair amount, so if anyone finds a Firetiger trolling Rapala with about 150 feet or more of line hanging off it, I'm to blame for that one. I did manage to snap off my line, so hopefully that bird didn't get caught up in the lure at least and flew off unharmed. sometimes, we can't help what happens, but hopefully we can all try and minimize the impact on our environment. after saying that, sometimes weird things just happen that are beyond our control.

I agree with what Rich said. A few weeks ago, I was fishing the pond on 58, throwing a chartreuse buzzbait, and a heron took off from shore, flew over, and made a dive at my lure. I've seen them go after fish looking baits before, but never a nasty, puke yellow anything. I thought as quick as I could, and jerked hard on the rod, causing a decent splash. It spooked the bird back into flight, saving me the aggravation of losing my favourite buzzbait, and the saving the bird from any number of happenings, none of which would be too good.

And going along with what Smerch said, I was fishing with Spottedgarrr a week or so ago, stopped off at one spot he knows, and I think I gathered up three or four spools worth of line. I filled the empty corn can I had with me with line alone, not to mention all the other trash there was down there. On the plus side, I started to fill a tackle box with all the extra tackles they left. And they left us a few worms, so cleaning up for them didn't seem so bad. B) Also found a goose washed up, but I know it didn't die from anything fishing related. It was very obviously a downed bird that wasn't/couldn't be retrieved. But that's a thread for a different section of the forum.

I was down in Port yesterday afternoon with 2 younger guys fishing just down from me, I never saw them leave but noticed a whole pile of garbage that they left. My intentions were to go and clean it up when a group of guys showed up at that same spot, they then proceeded to clean up the mess. Too bad the young guys have no respect for the enviroment and for the many people who enjoy the walking trails and the people that use them. On a side note watched a Gull fly right into a guys line luckily he never got tangled up!

Archived