The Glen

johnklander

Nice fish and congrats on the catch. Did you release the top one though with the blood trailing down the side? I'm not trying to have a pissing contest or start some sort of heated debate but I'm pretty sure a piercing in the lip is a little less taxing than someone poking fingers inside of one's lungs (to compare in human terms).

Alex

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jeez ladies stop :deadhorse: for metalhead, the way I hold fish of that size is I place my hands under the head to support the weight and the other hand under the tail, if the fish is too slippery just hold on to the tail, here I have a pic of some examples.

P4290085.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

I hope this helps

Niiiiice trouts Metalhead angler, thats a big laker!

Thanks Ketchican, I had a couple bigger ones on but lost em

One, I think was a laker, didn't get a good look at it but had to be 20lbs'ish.

The other I didn't get much of a chance to fight it before it cut my line.

And Bassmaster12, I would love to join ya but I work during the week, saturdays are the only chance I get to get out.

irregardless of the fact that a laker is bleeding or not it is out of season and must be released.

The word is REGARDLESS, irrregardless is a double negative and not a word.

2nd, lakers are back IN season as of dec 1st in zone 20, read the regulations before taking a stab at someone.

I remember catching lakers at the Lake of Bays (Hay Stack Bay) , in the late fall & during the ice fishing season .( mid 50's) They averaged 3 to6 lbs . and we thought we caught a gold mine ! These fish we so good to eat ! It's a crime we have poisoned these big fish to a point we are cautioned to eat only small ones from Lake Ont.. But , I guess we could say the same thing about the meats we consume these days.....:unsure:

About handling fish to be released ........It wouldn't cost the mnr (govt) that much to print one extra page at the FRONT of the reg. book showing how to handle fish .......and also to have a few lines about fishing etiquette and garbage ....

e.g.....;)

Pretty sure there is a whole page in the summary about that Dad.

The very first page and page ten have good instructions. Also on the first page it shows a hand cradling a bass with a wet hand just above the water.

Update: I wasn't down the glen on Saturday, but I still fished the lower river. I was in the steelie turny on sat in queeston, the water from shore was nasty, 6-8" visibility at best. I had 1 bow on, had it too shore, my partner was having troubles getting to me with the net and just before I was gonna hand land it, it took off and broke my line, pissed me off more than 1 legged stripper doing a talbe hop. Lol

Guest Pike212

Funny bassmaster, that pike probably didn't last too long after yours hands wrapped around its entire body, removed all its protective slime. I'm primarily a pike fisherman and release every single one back where I caught it. I hold them by their gill plate and cradle there belly. You just pinch between your thumb and the knuckle of your index with finger curled, not pointed. If you cut your finger inside, you're too far and may have done some damage.

Guest Rockfish

Small pike, around 20" and under can't always be held by the gill plate center in the " V " because the membrane is too thin. I've killed 2 pike that way when the membrane ripped and had to give them away to nearby fisherman as keepers. Back of the head or underneath back from the gills is the best way to hold hammer handles.

Guest Rockfish

I remember catching lakers at the Lake of Bays (Hay Stack Bay) , in the late fall & during the ice fishing season .( mid 50's) They averaged 3 to6 lbs . and we thought we caught a gold mine ! These fish we so good to eat ! It's a crime we have poisoned these big fish to a point we are cautioned to eat only small ones from Lake Ont.. But , I guess we could say the same thing about the meats we consume these days.....:unsure:

About handling fish to be released ........It wouldn't cost the mnr (govt) that much to print one extra page at the FRONT of the reg. book showing how to handle fish .......and also to have a few lines about fishing etiquette and garbage ....

e.g.....;)

It's all about fat content Bill, trout, salmon and carp all have high fat content that stores the nasty chemicals. Lakers also grow slower than other salmonoids which is more time in the water.

I'm think I'm heading down the glen Saturday, anyone know how the water is on the canadian side of the glen? I guess the water down in queenston last week on the american side was clearer than what was on the canadian side. I don't think it makes too much of a differance down the glen, its above the power stations and the water moves faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Small pike, around 20" and under can't always be held by the gill plate center in the " V " because the membrane is too thin. I've killed 2 pike that way when the membrane ripped and had to give them away to nearby fisherman as keepers. Back of the head or underneath back from the gills is the best way to hold hammer handles.

i do believe its illegal to give away fish

I was down on Sunday, got down round 7ish and I could not believe how high the water was. At least 2ft above the highest I've seen. By 11 it had dropped about 5ft and settled. water was really murky, 6" max. I still managed to pop out 2 lakers, around 10lbs.

Archived