Catfishin

Phranchise

Noodling, it's done all through the southern states. They catch flathead catfish. Flatheads spawn in holes, burrows or any cavity like a submerged hollow log of even steel drums. The male will guard the nest and sometimes attack anything that enters. They wont leave the nest so if it does not bite your hand you can shove your hand right in their mouth.

When only a few people did this it was okay, but now it is very popular and I think the the population of flatheads will decline because you are pulling them off of their eggs. Flatheads get huge and it would be a shame to see them get wiped out.

Try that around here and you might be minus a finger or two from a big snapping turtle ! :Gonefishing: And,as Hammercarp mentioned ,we don't want to see them pulled off their eggs . I'm sure their mnr guys are aware of this & will act if these fish are threatened ....hopefully .

Try that around here and you might be minus a finger or two from a big snapping turtle ! :Gonefishing: And,as Hammercarp mentioned ,we don't want to see them pulled off their eggs . I'm sure their mnr guys are aware of this & will act if these fish are threatened ....hopefully .

I was just kidding, you would not catch me noodling believe me!! I've seen them do it on Lunkerville before too, I would have to grow an extra set before even thinking about it

I would try it, seems like fun, but only do it like once or twice a year so im not doing to much damage to the eggs

Yeah, like KK said, I've done it once. It's an interesting way of fishing. A lot of people try it, thinking it's super easy, but it's a lot more dangerous, and a LOT harder, than it looks. Sometimes those holes are in twenty or thirty feet of water. Other times, they've got giant turtles and even poisonous snakes in them.

I heard a story of a few guys noodling on the Red River between Oklahoma and Texas. About six guys were diving the deeper water, looking for fish that way. One went down, found the fish, then came back up for his partner. But before his partner was ready to dive with him, he went down for the fish. When he came up, all the others heard was, "Hey guys, I've g..." The fish was so big, it pulled him under, and swam with him almost 300m upstream to get away. If it had wanted to, it could'a drown him.

So anyone wanting to try noodling, be warned. I'd hate to pick up the paper one day, and see someone I might've known, killed by one of those huge fish.

Archived