Welland Canal

Guest Pike212

Guest Pike212

Just wondering if anyone would share a good shore fishing spot in the old canal? Preferably somewhere you can park pretty close to where you fish. Not looking for any secret honey holes, a popular spot is fine. My target is pike/muskie, so don't worry bass/perch guys.;) Thanks in advance

There are many places to park and fish.

1. HWY 406 bridge. Park on the shoulder and head towards the construction, you can get down to the old train bridge and fish or walk up and down the canal from there.

2. Thorold Road. Go into welland and follow Thorold Rd to the canal. You can park and the end and walk and fish.

3. Lincoln St. Docks, just passed the senior centre in welland is a road that leads to a dock area where you can park and walk and fish.

Those few should get ya started.

Guest Pike212

I used to fish off port Robinson rd. by e.s. fox until they built a huge fence to keep me out. I could take walking path past there, I believe that's the Y by the bridge you're referring to, I didn't know there was an alternate route w/o the long walk. Got lots of pike and smallies by e.s. fox there. Thanks for the tips guys, gonna go tomorrow, wish me luck.

I used to fish off port Robinson rd. by e.s. fox until they built a huge fence to keep me out. I could take walking path past there, I believe that's the Y by the bridge you're referring to, I didn't know there was an alternate route w/o the long walk. Got lots of pike and smallies by e.s. fox there. Thanks for the tips guys, gonna go tomorrow, wish me luck.

He was referring to the "Y" at the other end of Welland.

He was referring to the "Y" at the other end of Welland.

Yes I was referring to the south end of the rec canal by Port Colborne. Great fishing down that end all the time. But like mentioned there are many places to go. The other one Phranchise mentioned by the 406 is another great place for small mouth Bass, and it no secret as everyone know about those spots.

Guest Pike212

I've got a lot of small pike in there and my wife got a nice one over 10 lbs (with a worm and bobber in about 3 feet of water)(shaking head in shame) I'm really hoping to break 10 lbs myself this year, you ever get any big ones in there? I've been trying to research the depth of the canal, but haven't found any info, you have any idea?

Guest Pike212

Well I went down to the end of Thorold Rd. and got alp kinds of funny looks from the thousands of walkers. I was having all kinds of equipment failure (bloody baitcasters) and ended up throwing all my bait free. Not a good morning. Also very shallow along the edge of the canal, how gradual is the drop off? Have to switch set ups and give it a shot another time.

if you want to know what the canal depth is just have a look at the canal in st. kitts when they drain the water out. the whole canal is shaped the same way. 25-30 feet in the middle

I agree , about 30 to 35' in the middle . I like to use a float there & if I toss the float out about 20' from shore ,it will be close to 20' deep . The slope is about 45 degrees & continues all the way to 35' near the center . To set a float to keep the bait near bottom , I put a 1/2 oz weight on the bottom hook , toss the float out to where I want to fish ,& adjust the float until the weight doesn't pull the float under ,then bring it up another foot & remove the weight & add the bait . Then you know your bait is about a foot off bottom . I use the cotton/polyester thread for a float stop , it goes through the small guides better than the rubber ones. :Gonefishing:

I fish out of the rec pretty regularly out my kayak. I don't think I have ever seen anything over 32 ft. I have seen pretty big pike roaming the shallows in the spring. Here is the biggest one I have pulled out of there.

IMG_0053.jpg

Thanks for the tip smerch. Have you ever seen 10 lb.+ pike in there? I'm looking for a slob

I've seen 8 pounders caught there & the divers at the Lincoln St. ramps told me they have seen many big pike there . The north end of the rec. has access to the new canal allowing all types of fish to enter from both lakes .

Very nice pike Phranchise , great colours !

A minimum average depth of 35' is supposed to be maintained in the active Seaway. Else some vessels would be bottoming out. Deepest I have found in the Rec was 32'. I'm sure there are deeper pockets. Over time the bottom will start to silt up and become shallower.

Archived