hunting knife and feild pack

basskicker09

If I had to I could gut a deer with a broadhead on an arrow but I carry a boning knife. I simply use my fingers to lift the skin and let the knife stick between them about 1-2 inches back si I can't nick the stomache open. I usually leave it in my vehicle though. The walk to get it is a good cool down period before recovering your game.

I carry 2 buck knives, one for gutting and the other for everything else. I used to open up the deer like chilli mentioned, but the past couple years I started using the knife pictured below, bonus is you can replace the blades.

http---lebaronca-fall20201020pages-toollogic_wyomingpdf-AdobeReader.jpg

My pack: I pack heavy, never know

Rattling rack

Folding saw

Various scents

Hand warmer thingy

Flashlight

2 pairs of Gortex gloves

ammo or extra release for bow hunting

Binos

Rope

Various calls

There's more but can't remember

Buck Alpha fixed blade knife (Suggestion: a blade larger than 2 or 3 inches is overkill. You don't need or want a 10" bowie to skin a rabbit)

Pruning sheers

small hatchet

folding saw (sometimes)

calls

flashlight

trail marking tape

hand warmers

extra ammo

large garbage back

couple pairs of nitrile gloves

I carry a Winchester tri-blade. It's got a clip point, a gut hook, and a bone saw all in one small unit. I also carry a Buck 650T "Nighthawk" with an 8.75" straight edge, but that's mostly for used as a hatchet, should the need arise.

Usually carry my Russell Belt knife(Made in Canada :D) and a CRKT M16 folder as a JIC backup.

As far as the pack goes a couple bottles of water a can of coke or two and some snacks and sandwiches if I'm doing a full day watch.

i found a gut hook with the interchangable blades in the parking lot at bps 3 months ago and for a knife i think im going to go with a swedish made sloyd knife made by mora my dad has two of them and they are older then me and they stay shape ( i cut my thumb off with one on my seventh birthday)and Lee valley still carries them and its only six bucks

other then that my pack will include a hatchet some rope and strong zip ties( they come in handy) an extra pare soxk and hat,laytex gloves and hunting gloves an extra knife (gut hook, sloyd knife and bonesaw/straight blade folding combo knife made by mac tools and cover scents

Packs should reflect the amount of time and the terrain you are hunting. I hunt a 10 minute walk from my truck so a bow, cell phone and a deer tag are all I need to pack. The rest stays in the truck.

Compass, topo map, GPS, flagging tape, high energy snack, drinks (more than required for your sit) small hatchet, emergency blanket, small 1st aid kit, rope, extra ammo, firestarting stuff (matches, windproof lighter etc), flashlight, batteries (GPS and flashlight) good knife, GMRS radio, fox-40 whistle.

As Chilli stated it depends much on the situation and terrain you will be in.

I hunt up north in WMU 28 (Kirkland Lake), I don't leave camp or any of our rendezvous points (stands) without a pack with pretty much everything stated above. My GPS is only a cheap Garmin Legend that my wife bought me on clearance. No base map and can't load maps but I have each of our redezvous points (stands) in as waypoints and have marked 90% of our trails, adding more as I walk more and more. This is helpful as using the scale on the screen I can determine how far I am from any of our trails if I decide to go off the trails.

I have been lost before and you start panicing. I have been lost without my pack and it is downright scary, I don't go out without my pack now. At least with my pack I know I'm good for a bit. With my compass, map or now GPS I can get myself back to familiar places.

When I was younger I used to pack less and go off with very little of the stuff I bring now...I also felt a little more indestructable...and maybe I was more competant in bushcraft back then...I don't take those chances now. I'm too long out of practice and have more responsibilities now.

FW

Archived