wainfeet bog

jones1234

I wonder what other users of NPCA pay a users fee.

Anyone know?

At Conservation Areas like Chippawa Creek and Long Beach, campers and day users pay a gate fee.

But in terms of generally accessing most C.A. properties, only hunters pay a fee. All others visit for free. Hunters are the ones who demand the least of the NPCA (we do not ask for infrastructure like gravel paths, benches, directional signs or bathrooms) yet we pay the most. This of course is on top of our Provincial/Federal license fees and the volunteer hours we put into conservation.

For me, its not about the money. $25 per year to access all those acres of hunting land is certainly affordable and I've payed it every year since the rule has been in effect. Its an issue of fairness/equity. Non-hunters are not paying anything, yet they demand the most of the NPCA. There are also some hunters still accessing NPCA land without permits and getting away with it because there is no enforcement of the rules.

http://www.npca.ca/conservation-areas/documents/NPCAHuntingPermitRequestForm-2010.pdf

This is the link for the permit. All you do is fill it out and mail it, you get a dash permit in the mail in a couple weeks. Really easy.

Just to give you an idea of how big the parcels of land are... These are just the 9 that you are allowed to hunt.

Wainfleet bog- 1991 acres

Wainfleet Wetlands- 500 acres

Willoughby Marsh- 573 acres

Long Beach- 140 acres

Ruigrok Tract- 172 acres

Chippawa creek- 375 acres

Hedley Forest- 44 acres

Humberstone Marsh- 202 acres

Mud lake- 158 acres

Please keep in mind that each parcel of land has its own regs on what you can and cant hunt. You can read all about the lands on this link tells you eveything you need to know .

http://www.npca.ca/conservation-areas/hunting-anglers-guide.htm

Keep in mind guys we are also the only group allowed to remove things from the NPCA properties. No rocks, plants, insects etc are permitted to be removed but us hunters pay a fee and are allowed to harvest something. This in my mind justifies the fee.

I would really like to see some reports, on any of the CA lands , anyone know any links?

Wainfleet bog is full of ticks...

Is that what you mean by report? lol. I don't think there's any CA specific sites for that. The only thing I can think of would be the season end cumulative numbers like what they have for turkey.

What are you targeting if you don't mind me asking? 'yotes?

Ive never hunted wainfleet bog, but I did know a farmer in wainfleet who use to let me hunt up until this year when he got diagnosed with

Alzheimer's and his land sold. I hunt deer in the controlled hunt every year for the week, I also hunt geese and small game like rabbits and pheasants. I do hunt yotes here and there, there very tricky and takes time and patience. Once we get a snowfall it makes things a bit easier for bunnies aswell as yotes.

I found a deer tick on me at Mud Lake in the spring. I noticed no hunting signs in the parking lot but a call to the NPCA cleared that up. I always thought a no hunting sign meant no hunting even by the property owner but apparently that's not so.

Careful in the Wainfleet bog there is great danger there. If you don't want to end up up to your neck in quicksand stay on the beaten path and please remember it is a well known destination for other outdoor enthusiasts who don't necessarily know it is hunting season. Lots of birders and hikers too; some with kids so hunt smart.

I always thought a no hunting sign meant no hunting even by the property owner but apparently that's not so.

Yep, that myth still comes up from time to time.

Even if you post your property "No Hunting", you or anyone you choose to give permission to are still allowed hunt it. Its YOUR property, after all. "No hunting" is simply your notice to others that they are not allowed to hunt there without your permission. It does not limit your own right to hunt there.

I like the The NO HUNTING NO TRESPASSING on the same sign this way someone cant use the excuse and say " well i was just going for a walk the sign said no hunting , it didnot say no trespassing " :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there is....

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@fw/documents/document/239852.pdf

Shot 1 last weekend with my pup. They are few and far between, but they are out there...

And when you find one, there are usually more.

Good luck with you and your dog out there and let us know how you make out!!

Archived