beaverdams perch

Montreuil

anyone ever eat these?

Yup, I would eat them. They are not bottom feeders and the water is lake erie water brought in from the shipping canal.

The guide to eating fish does advise you limit yourself to no more then 4 meals per month of perch from those waters and don't feed any to pregnant women.

The main polutants found was in catagory(5) Mercury, other metals, PCBs, mirex/photomirex and pesticides

Here is a link to the guide > http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/publications/590b14.pdf

dependin on how much you eat! ive been fishin there my hole life and had a few good days on gibson on the hard water and had a feed! its all in your head.....if you feel that its gonna effect your health havin an occasional feed...dont eat....i say its no worse then anywhere else...just keep it in moderation!

:deadhorse:

to each his own

You got it Denis . If we dare to compare the general food we consume on a daily basis , I believe local perch would and even small trout , Bass & pike are safer to eat than that hot dog , roast beef , KFC chicken , and all processed foods that are loaded with salt & sugar . And who knows what chems lurk in all the imported veggies etc. that we buy because the price is cheaper . To each his own , exactly .

perch for dinner tomorrow .....;)

guys...there are signs everywhere along the waters at Beaverdamms warning people "not to wade in the waters" for a reason. They do not want you to disturb the sediment there because the myrex and PCB content is one of the highest in the region there.

eat boys, eat.

guys...there are signs everywhere along the waters at Beaverdamms warning people "not to wade in the waters" for a reason. They do not want you to disturb the sediment there because the myrex and PCB content is one of the highest in the region there.

eat boys, eat.

The signs also say don't consume any carp.

The other species are totally safe and won't pick up any toxins :read::nea:

Something dosen't seem right there :unsure:

Oopsie woopsies......just realized we are talking about Beaverdams perch.......Yes ,I would be hesitant to consume these perch , but I expect the MNR to test them regularly . If the level of toxins are high , I expect to see signs warning people not to eat any fish from there . The water there comes from Erie and flows into the 12 Mile via Gibson/Moodie/ 12 Mile to L.Ont. . I don't know much about biology , but I wonder why the fish ,including minnows and water birds who eat from bottom seem to be healthy and not dying off like flies .

The signs also say don't consume any carp.

The other species are totally safe and won't pick up any toxins :read::nea:

Something dosen't seem right there :unsure:

I called about the signs a ways back but I forget if it was hydro or mnr but none the less the person I talked to claimed to have been part of the study. He said most fish were in the clear and within the recommended guidelines. However there was one carp that measured so far of the charts it put the whole study into the warning catagory.

Now usually when they do a study when they get one result that is extremely different then the rest of the results they can omit that one result. In this case however we're talking about telling people whether its safe to eat something and if they happened to catch one fish like that carp then that would spell trouble.

Now everyone give Drifter a -1 for complaining bart_mooning.gif:tease:

Archived