Going Green

smerchly

Has anyone had any dealings with this company ? This is the beginning of paying a carbon tax for all energy used in the home or vehicle or anything that uses energy . Two men came to my house & said I contribute about 100+ tons per year of carbon from my household energy usage . They offer a plan to sell hydro & gas at a fixed rate lower than the top rates charged by the smart meters like 6.5cents per KWH at all times ,thereby bypassing the smart meters time of usage . When you buy these credits at 50% or 100% ,these credits go into wind power etc. and your house is then "carbon FREE " . What a deal ! The guys also said , the energy suppliers will put the rates up for those who haven't got a carbon free deal with another supplier like this one mentioned called "Just Energy" so you will pay a lot more unless you sign a deal with these carbon sellers. They said B.C. has already applied carbon taxes on energy and it will spread across the country . But .....on the news last night they are rethinking the actual causes of global warming............

Here is a pic. of one leaflet that explains what they are about......These carbon taxes will cost us a lot of pesos my friends ........Anyone signed into this plan ?

just%20energy.jpg

just%20enrgy%202.jpg

i hope you didnt do this... i have seen things like this in the USA..califorina to be exact and it ended costing more to the home owner... but then again it could be real but i would wait and see what happns 1st

That looks like a pretty good idea to me. I would consider it but at the same time I've grown pretty skeptical with "deals" related to emissions and global warming and whatnot. A little digging might be in order before you commit.

Here are the problems with these plans. They make promises which they do not have the power to keep. No private company can promise you a tax exemption. It can be available today and gone after the next election.

After your contract term ends. You will face a whopping big increase as you are faced with catching up with the rates everybody else pays.

If the energy supplier starts losing money, they will fold like a deck of cards and you get to cover the outstanding bill. Happened to a farmer friend and he suddenly was handed a $7000 hydro bill and is still in litigation.

WOW Bill, what a deal :clapping:

I would assume everyone in Ontario is going sign up :excl:

I mean, who in their right mind would not, look at all the savings :bb2:

Hey, are they still selling swamp land in florida, I'd like some of that as well :roflblack:

WOW Bill, what a deal :clapping:

I would assume everyone in Ontario is going sign up :excl:

I mean, who in their right mind would not, look at all the savings :bb2:

Hey, are they still selling swamp land in florida, I'd like some of that as well :roflblack:

I know a number of people who are wishing they had bought some of that Orlando swampland in the 70's and early 80's.

I know a number of people who are wishing they had bought some of that Orlando swampland in the 70's and early 80's.

I'd rather invest in swampland than that plan. Glad your researching Dad but look beyond NFN when researching green energy. Wind power especially. Remember those new wind turbines from Niagara Wind Power on Hwy 20. From what I understand there are people who paid for it years ago and are still waiting for it to be delivered. As for those giant ones it won't be hard to find the controversy on the net. Allot of greeners just jump on board blindly because wind is green right? Think again and do some reading.

The only way to reduce your impact is to reduce your consumption.

i hope you didnt do this... i have seen things like this in the USA..califorina to be exact and it ended costing more to the home owner... but then again it could be real but i would wait and see what happns 1st

Ya FOG I did this ......but I have 90 days to cancel & I haven't recieved the confirmation call to activate the account , although I signed I understood the agreement via a phone conversation with a lady I could hardly understand ...prob.from India . About 6 yr's ago I signed a 5 yr. deal with my gas supplier for a fixed rate . That saved me money over the agreement for sure ,& I thought this was another one of those 5 yr.deals with a fixed rate for hydro . They told me that everyone will be paying carbon taxes through their supplier at whatever rate they wanted to impose on customers & BC is already charging the carb tax . The problem is , when they show up at your door you haven't got time to check the fine print which is pages long . Think I will call & cancel and take my chances with my local supplier . I hope I can get out of this without a penalty charge........

Thanks for your input guys .....things are getting more complicated these days ....maybe that's the idea ....to confuse & conquer ?

Anything where they call you, or show up at your door, don't give you proper time to read the fine print or research their product/service is not good business. That is why in Ontario we have "buyer's remorse" a cooling off period, where a contract can be cancelled with no penalties up until the time a service is rendered or product delivered.

I have a friend that signed up for a certain Weed control service, one of those ones that calls you and/or shows up at your door during dinner time.

Well didn't they have her address wrong (after she corrected the salesperson)? they did the yard a block over...then she asked when her lawn would be done..then they told her it was and sent her the bill, this is when she got angry, a technician was sent again to the wrong address. I looked at her lawn and there was NO appplication of granular fertilizer present (the product that was the first application). She kept getting notices (PO address) that her bill had not been paid, So after some correspondence with the Weed control service, she cancelled the service and they were still trying to get payment from her for services not rendered (to her). Here's the kicker...she never even signed a contract!!!

I feel guilty as I was the Man that sold her Weed control services. She was supposed to get a "confirmation package" in the mail...she didn't. This package is written such that failure on your part to call them to stop the service they will come to start services and bill you for it.

This same company writes some crap that they are "a continual service" blah blah that means even though you signed up for one year they will keep coming year after year (raising the price as they see appropriate)unless you tell them "NO". You must read the mail from them (sent in the winter) to tell them to "Stop" or they will show up in the end of March....

My rant over.... Sorry it went off topic....just be aware of anything you agree to, or it could cost you money you didn't intend to and many headaches...

PS I don't work for that Man anymore. And I have since cancelled the Weed services of that Man.

in califorina studys have been done on our carbon print if you have to put a new roof on the house use a light or cook color it has been proven to reduce your print by 40%..the lighter color reduces the amount of hydro you need for cooling your place in the summer months thus making a lessor foot print, i know its califorina study but im there lots of time..and i have seen it just in a trk white vs a black truck a white truck will cool of quicker as it reflects more sun.

smerch im not telling you to cansel it but most things started on the west coast will move across our country but its a slow move (yrs) so i would try to resign with the place your with see what they have to say about carbon foot prints..

This carbon footprint stuff is nothing more than us consumers paying the costs to put up thousands of wind mills etc. My electricity comes from water power (Decew) & it's clean energy . The "fine print" in the green book has a few lines that I don't like ...eg...."This agreement will continue indefinately" ......."At our sole disgression" .....We will purchase carbon offsets & Recs on your behalf ,& you agree to pay related charges plus taxes"......"You accept that certain events including such things as labour problems , weather conditions, severe economic conditions, acts of God may affect carbon credits at your Price )" . The signature on this booklet might as well be written in Arabic ....I don't know who the dude is..... Fog...I signed with the same company I had for the last 5 yr. deal at 7.29 cents per KWH .The smart meters is now cancelled for 5 yrs at this fixed rate 24/7 . I do not want to play their game of cooking supper after 9 pm when the rates are lower !! As the hydro rates increase each year I should be ahead or at least equal to the going rate . The green stuff gets the boot ! They want to give you that feel good thing about carbon footprints & tell me I will be 100 per cent carbon free if I give them $25 per month . Funny thing ,I can still see the steam comming from my furnace ! :rolleyes: (and out of my ears)

Hate to tell you but that decew plant eats fish. It's probably the cleanest energy around but it's far from green. Water power not only blocks fish migration but fluctuating water levels prevent them from successfully laying eggs that will survive.

The only way to reduce your footprint is to reduce your consumption.

I have only been back living in Niagara for 2 months and these people have been at my door twice. Both times after 8 PM. This makes me wonder who signs their paycheck. In this neighbourhood I am very leery of anyone coming to my door after dark. They wanted to come in and "look" at my furnace, hot water heater, lighting and take a sample of my water. I told them I was not interested. Well the guy looks at me like I'm from Mars and says "you're not concerned with going green??" By now I'm tired of this so I answer that my legacy is to leave a big a$$ carbon foot print on this old planet, and I close the door.

I am totally for doing my part to "save " the planet but am very wary of the "Snake Oil" peddlers................Boog

boogaloo....thanks for the reply , and I will take your advice ! "DO NOT DEAL WITH DOOR KNOCKERS" ! Any company that has a good reputation should be sending you their ads in the MAIL . That will give you a chance to look it over and confirm with your present gas or electric utility company etc. There are so many scams out there and we are not informed who to be wary of ....Although we have the www to pass the word through emails & other sites like facebook , we are usually caught by surprise when they come to your house . I believe they prey on the elderly who do not know much about carbon foot prints . A few days ago , I saw a news readout on a T.O. news channel that stated that man made global warming is questionable . Don't fall for a carbon tax , it will be very costly to everyone and a whole new breed of billionaires will be laughing .......<_<

Hate to tell you but that decew plant eats fish. It's probably the cleanest energy around but it's far from green. Water power not only blocks fish migration but fluctuating water levels prevent them from successfully laying eggs that will survive.

The only way to reduce your footprint is to reduce your consumption.

Well Chilli I agree and disagree. I believe that Decew GS is considered "Run or River" so it for the most part is free on many of the negative aspects of hydroelectric power generation. There are no dams blocking fish migrations. No flooded fields or woodlots with the water polution rotting vegetation adds. etc etc.

However I almost totally agree that the only way to reduce your footprint is to reduce consumprion...Oh and residential solar could be OK if costs were low enough...however you then have to consider the environmental impact of producing and shipping the panel, the batteries etc.

Then there is Sir Adam Beck, again I believe on its own this is considered "run-of-river", as there are no dams, throw in the PGS (resevoir) and I'm not sure "run of river" status holds true any more.

boogaloo....thanks for the reply , and I will take your advice ! "DO NOT DEAL WITH DOOR KNOCKERS" ! Any company that has a good reputation should be sending you their ads in the MAIL . That will give you a chance to look it over and confirm with your present gas or electric utility company etc. There are so many scams out there and we are not informed who to be wary of ....Although we have the www to pass the word through emails & other sites like facebook , we are usually caught by surprise when they come to your house . I believe they prey on the elderly who do not know much about carbon foot prints . A few days ago , I saw a news readout on a T.O. news channel that stated that man made global warming is questionable . Don't fall for a carbon tax , it will be very costly to everyone and a whole new breed of billionaires will be laughing .......<_<

I was at a power generation conference in December 2009 in Las Vegas. And all of the thermo-electric players (fossil-fuel, biomass, etc) were all talking about this myth called "man-made global warming" They were talking about "carbon capture" and "sequestration" "Carbon storage" and new EPA laws that affect the whole industry. The EPA laws were very restrictive and very costly and are being challenged in court. This is putting a whole damper on the industry in which I work. Of 3 key-note speakers the only one that was for the carbon capture laws...was....wait fOr it....you guessed it the one selling the very costly equipment to capture and store the CO2.

One of the other speakers was CEO of a large natural gas company...He basically said good luck finding somewhere to store the CO2...(natural underground pockets, caverns and resevoirs)...his company (and others in the industry) have been at it a long time and are running out of places to store their product...natural gas.

FW

Fishy I thought Lake Gibson/Moody was a man made reservoir. :pardon:

A lot of fish do swim down from Lake Erie every year and go through that turbine. You'll be able to find smelts above Glendale very soon and you can watch the seagulls filling their bellies at the base of the spillway.

The fish never did migrate up that escarpment as that is a man made waterway. The natural twelve now starts just Southwest of that spillway and is Niagara's only cold water creek. This isn't a trib it's the natural 12 mile creek. http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fort+Erie,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&ll=43.117441,-79.266752&spn=0.001414,0.002411&z=19

Port Dalhousie used to be nothing more than a pond much like 15 mile creek.

My point though about the fish barriers that come hand in hand with water power was in general about the industry. There are many proposed rivers and streams to be dammed in the north for hydro purposes so it may be deamed clean but still comes with a hefty environmental price tag.

Fishy I thought Lake Gibson/Moody was a man made reservoir. :pardon:

A lot of fish do swim down from Lake Erie every year and go through that turbine. You'll be able to find smelts above Glendale very soon and you can watch the seagulls filling their bellies at the base of the spillway.

The fish never did migrate up that escarpment as that is a man made waterway. The natural twelve now starts just Southwest of that spillway and is Niagara's only cold water creek. This isn't a trib it's the natural 12 mile creek. http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fort+Erie,+Niagara+Regional+Municipality,+Ontario&ll=43.117441,-79.266752&spn=0.001414,0.002411&z=19

Port Dalhousie used to be nothing more than a pond much like 15 mile creek.

My point though about the fish barriers that come hand in hand with water power was in general about the industry. There are many proposed rivers and streams to be dammed in the north for hydro purposes so it may be deamed clean but still comes with a hefty environmental price tag.

Lakes Gibson/Moody are manmade resevoirs, correct, but I believe (although I am not a history expert) that those were there prior to Decew GS. They were used for other mills (Morningstar being an example) etc and were also a result of the different itterations of the Welland Canal. I am aware that it did have implications for the 12 mile....although so did the Canals where the majority of the changes to Port Dal. came from.

I agree with you about the industry of damming waterways, lets also not forget about risks of spilled lubricants, and other problems that come from damming. And I don't doubt that fish do go thru the turbines....as do little pieces of deer thru the turbines at Sir Adam Beck (that fall into the Power Canal thru NF), and little pieces of people that cross the mob.

However I believe in this day and age more efforts are being made to provide fish ladders etc.

In the end we are human, we are part of nature, our actions affect the environment in which we are active participants...the goal is to live in harmony (not wipe out) with the rest of nature. That means using the least harmful methods we have to produce the enrgy we "need".

Oh and my biggest pet peeve..."Zero Emission" vehicles....THAT is the biggest misnomer that has ever been drummed up. The materials for the construction required emissions to be made, the power to make them go...was produced somewhere. Heck even a bicycle produces emissions (the CO2 you exhale while pumping the peddles). :blahblah1:

Nothing is all green except grass . Hydro electric power is our greenest energy source and we need to use it more but also consider the impact on all wildlife . I have heard the stories of fish ,even sturgeon , going through the turbines at Decew . Fish cannot get past the dam at Port Dalhousie to run the 12 mile ,but the fish in the 12 above the dam can go past the Decew Dam all the way into Effingham . And , on the subject of killing wild life , wind power will kill thousands of birds . Solar power will need to dispose of batteries ,like electric cars . There is so much debate going on about energy and I agree we will need to get off the oil bandwagon eventually . We need engines that will run well on clean fuel like alcohol which can be obtained from apples to sugar beets . ....unless we find something better.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had any dealings with this company ? This is the beginning of paying a carbon tax for all energy used in the home or vehicle or anything that uses energy . Two men came to my house & said I contribute about 100+ tons per year of carbon from my household energy usage . They offer a plan to sell hydro & gas at a fixed rate lower than the top rates charged by the smart meters like 6.5cents per KWH at all times ,thereby bypassing the smart meters time of usage . When you buy these credits at 50% or 100% ,these credits go into wind power etc. and your house is then "carbon FREE " . What a deal ! The guys also said , the energy suppliers will put the rates up for those who haven't got a carbon free deal with another supplier like this one mentioned called "Just Energy" so you will pay a lot more unless you sign a deal with these carbon sellers. They said B.C. has already applied carbon taxes on energy and it will spread across the country . But .....on the news last night they are rethinking the actual causes of global warming............

Here is a pic. of one leaflet that explains what they are about......These carbon taxes will cost us a lot of pesos my friends ........Anyone signed into this plan ?

just%20energy.jpg

just%20enrgy%202.jpg

Smerch,

I know this is an old issue :deadhorse: and I'm glad you didn't sign with these crooks.

I just recieved my latest hydro bill. Now I normally don't even see the bills, my wife who has a background in accounting has always paid our bills. Very rarely I look at a few bills trying to get an understanding on how to lower bills and save $$$. Very rarely does she look at how the number is generated just what is due...We would so fail as a corporation LOL

I took notice of this bill as wifey said it looked a little high. Which it was at 30kwh/day (12/07/2010 to 1/05/2011) vs an avg of 20kwh/day for the previous 3 months. We has dismissed this as christmas lights, I was home for a week of holidays, extra TV, lights etc. But what I noticed is the bill said supply by Just Energy Ontario L.P.

Upon checking what I was being billed it broke down like this

826 kwh (usage) plus 47.25 kwh (losses) = 873.25kwh Total

I paid for supply by Just Energy - $83.68 (that equals $0.096/kwh)

Provincial Benefit (adjusted montly - only charged as an extra to people purchasing from an energy marketer...it is apparently included in the price of electricity when purchasing from the utility) $0.02884/kwh = $27.70

(Therefore for supply I was paying $0.1247 / kwh)

Then there is the whole host of other delivery charges - Regulatory charges - Debt retirement HST.

My total bill was $176.21

I figure the bill should be about $110.

So lets presume (as this was a higher bill than normal) that I am over paying $50/month on my hydro. X 12 months X 5 year contract = $3,000. :wall:

So Ihave called NPEI, and I have called Just Energy. J.E. claims I have had a contract with another marketer signed in 2006 that was effective as of March 2007, and JE has bought out the other marketer. I have demanded they send me a copy of a signed contract as I don't remember signing any such BS. It will take 2-4 business days....I also asked what cancellation penalties would be. $110. Well that settled it right there. Cancelled. :slap: And I still want a copy of this supposed contract.

We both work all day M-F, and do our most energy intensive stuff (laundry, dishwasher, TV) during the off-peak hours and weekends (also off-peak). We are looking forward to time-of-use billing.

Oh the CSR at J.E. was trying to tell me I'll pay more on time-of-use...I told her that was BS.

That money that was pissed away could have been my new moose rifle :th_fudd: , my wife's new DSLR camera :pardon: and my kids's dance classes for a year :clapping::bravo: . Or a trip to the happiest place on earth.

Rant over. :blahblah1:

Oh ya. I had also been ripped off signing a 5 year contract with a gas marketer that has expired...after weighing my options I have elected to just pay market rates on NG as well.

I guess I wasn't always as smart as I am now....Don't sign jack doo-doo at the door! :deadhorse:

Now we just have to lobby the government to stop allowing the Telcom industry to 8- (0) to us with this metered billing killing the small ISPs. That has got to be a burden on Chili?????

FW

Archived