Coyote size

Dan Andrews

I think that Niagara Falls residents are acting like Torontonians over these coyotes but never the less if coyotes are being pushed by development into school yards then measures to make them a little less tame are needed.

I really don't like coyote watch because they still won't address their attacks on hunting through firearms discharge bylaws but I really agree with their education aspect. However I still feel they deliver bias information. I've seen it at the Regional headquarters when they suggested coyote numbers were down while they argued there wasn't a need for a hunt in a landfill near Grimsby. They knew the numbers were still up but that would hurt their argument. If they would just address my question about suggesting expanding the firearms no-discharge zone I'd love them but they're silent.

Here's my point finally. The OMNR's Bill Murch insists a 40 pound coyote would be considered a "big" one. Myself I believe they exceed that regularly. Yes I've seen our little 25 pounders and passed up the shot. These little guys are beautiful but these tweed cross yotes are much bigger. They look like little wolves and I've heard reports from Maine which is North East of here that these mutts are reaching 80 pounds!

Now some reports from NF suggest they've been seeing 110 pound animals which are likely half that with a winter coat on. Now without bias whether you love em or hate em, what would you guess some of the local regional coyote/coywolves weigh in at? I'm guessing the 3 I saw under my stand chasing deer were 65 pounds apiece. Far more than our Regional MNR office will admit.

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/CoywolfGallery.html

The ones I've seen around Flamborough are probably in the 50 range. But regardless of the size even if they wieghed 20 lbs, I think I'd still have a problem with a wild carnivore around kids and pets. A rattlesnake is still a rattlesnake even if it's 8" long, right?

The ones I've seen around Flamborough are probably in the 50 range. But regardless of the size even if they wieghed 20 lbs, I think I'd still have a problem with a wild carnivore around kids and pets. A rattlesnake is still a rattlesnake even if it's 8" long, right?

+1

I think 30 lbs is average. I seen them with the hides removed and they look like greyhounds. But because they are hybrids they have the genetics to be much bigger. I have heard of one that was shot and weighed on a scale at 70 lbs.

I'm guessing the 3 I saw under my stand chasing deer were 65 pounds apiece. Far more than our Regional MNR office will admit.

Perhaps the MNR doesn't want to alarm the public.

Eastern brush wolves can vary from 30-80, ive seen a few monsters in NOTL , ive also seen some really big ones in montrose lyons creek area, alot of them out that way. Size doesnot mean there more dangerous then a smaller one , it depends on the mood of the coyote how much hes in eaten that day etc, a 30 pound eastern with the jaw power of a rottweiler is just as deadly as one thats 80 lbs.

ive personally heard some big boys around lundys lane / thorold townline area carried off my uncles dog, he lives there on a farm and their bout 60-80lbs. as for chippawa area i havnt seen any in the town at all but down wiloughby drive you can hear them at night ocasionally, havnt come face to face with any yet, and dont plan to. just be careful if you see them they do travel together and no matter 30lbs- 100lbs, 2-3 of them can do some damage.

I have a few yote's in my area of forterie.I would say they are in the 40 pound range.I did see 1 that was quite larger last year.They are on my lawn all the time and are not afraid when you yell at them.They do stalk us when we are walking our dog(retriever) and when I get home & pull out the spotlight they are sometimes 5 ft into the bushline watching us,just feet from my front door.So far they are keeping the bunny count down & saving my shrub's!Now if i could keep bambi out of the gardens i would be set.

I'm not good at judging the weight..especially with a full winter coat on these guys.

I have seen a few big ones near McLeod and Kalar, and McLeod and Ailanthus.

I hear them all of the time coming from south of McLeod road. South of the power line (I back onto that power line) I was on the power line one day checking on some pumpkins I planted back there crouched down by the tall grass and not 20 yards away I heard some rustling...I stood up and there was a coyote (not very big). I looked at him, he looked at me and then bounded away.

I just wish they would put an end to the GD cats that think my veggie patch, my kids swing set, and my flower bed are their personal toilets.

FW

I would agree with that. It's sad but look how long they've been denying cougars.

I'm guessing you mean the four legged ones Dan ^_^

Has there actually been confirmation of them around Niagara ?

And if so, is that not a threat to people hiking and or like yourself, hunting and such ?

I believe the MNR has confirmed cougar scat in the Wainfleet Bog. This was in the last 5-10 years.

I took her hiking on our first date & she could'nt wait to get to a toilet so...

ive personally heard some big boys around lundys lane / thorold townline area carried off my uncles dog, he lives there on a farm and their bout 60-80lbs.

How do you judge their size by the sound they make? :pardon:

• 2 weeks later...

Up here in the GTA .....

I've seen them in the Rouge Valley & Humber.

In the 40 lbs range.

They are one of the most adaptable animals in all the world.

Just like anything ... I believe they deserve their chance at a peaceful "co-existance".

However - the "problem one" do have to be dealt with.

I posed the question at Hunt Ontario, based on yotes actually weighed, not guesstimated. Here's a reply from Kitchener:

Weighed most of ours last year (55), average was around 35-45. The dog group I started to hunt with shot the first yote around Elmira in 1968 and was around 30lbs. The heaviest we weighed was 65lbs. Another heavy one was full of pork and looked like he ate a basket ball.

Here's one from the Lindsay area:

I've weighed (on calibrated Chatillon spring scale) about 400 coyotes now over the past 25 years, from the Fenelon Falls-Lindsay-Kinmount-Minden area. Average adult female weights are around 33 lbs. Average male adults about 41. Biggest female I've weighed was 52lbs, but had access to deadstock on farms. Have weighed at least 40 adult males in the 48-54 lb range. Bigest male was 57.8lbs.

Just moved here in Sept. from Midland area.

sAbout 3 years ago a biologist from Midhurst MNR spoke at our club up there and stated that the Midhurst MNR group had weighed in coyotes ranging from 22 lbs to 90 lbs.

• 1 month later...

Living in the rockies I have seen some big ones right out in front of my house. I have had to second look sometimes to confirm it wasnt a wolf. These buggers are always scared though. I will try to get a picture of one next time.

Archived