Hunting, urbanites & local food

ninepointer

Very good story. I also like the comments. . . no one is really flaming anyone there. If only more people would read these stories instead of listening to the "sound bytes" from the radicals.

Wow you took the words outa my mouth almost word for word.

That was a well thought out and rational article on the hunt/ harvest. Traditionally hunting is not about the trophy. Trophy hunting was something that evolved back when hunting was a privilege of the wealthy and nobility. That is where the image of the big game hunter comes in.

The harvest concept really applies to many of us who fish. I harvest fish, it is that simple. There is an element of sport within that, and I do release far more than I keep. However old fashioned or trendy it sounds, fish are food, not playthings. There should be nothing wrong in a responsible harvest.

Think about this we humans have been eating meat and fat for thousands of generations. We have been eating refined starch and sugar for about 2 generations. If there are "modern illnesses" do you think this could be a major factor? Type 2 ( adult onset ) diabetes is becoming endemic. You don't get diabetes from eating meat.

I see young people walking down the street with a 2 liter bottle of cola half gone & a large bag of chips in the other hand ......There's a 2 day quota of sugar & salt right there !! Many families must have both parents working , so fast foods are frequent . Proper eating habits should be taught at school instead of "other" useless subjects . Health comes first . And then , we have smoking .....:rolleyes:

No one mentioned if wild meat is tested for contaminants ......we should be aware if animals living in an area where there is pollution from industrial fallout or water out flows that can cause animals to have infected flesh etc. Last time I hunted in Thunder Bay there were warning signs to bury the liver of moose when we dressed them in the bush because of the high cadmium content which causes the eggs of the eagles to break as they are too thin . I presume the moose meat is ok to consume , but I still question how safe it is .

No one mentioned if wild meat is tested for contaminants ......we should be aware if animals living in an area where there is pollution from industrial fallout or water out flows that can cause animals to have infected flesh etc. Last time I hunted in Thunder Bay there were warning signs to bury the liver of moose when we dressed them in the bush because of the high cadmium content which causes the eggs of the eagles to break as they are too thin . I presume the moose meat is ok to consume , but I still question how safe it is .

You hit the nail on the head. Yes tests have been done and eating the heart is no longer recommended because of high levels of cadnium. I try explaining to these greeners that hunters care deeply for the environment because we are the environment. We eat the fish and game that drink and feed from it filter free. An ideal hunter would like to be able to drink from the streams he passes. Yes beavers make you sick but you get my drift. The greeners can't see past the killing or their asparagus. Most so called environmentalist today are arrogant and either refuse or are incapable of considering other points of view without bias. draper my case in point :deadhorse:

I wonder if the guy who started by shooting groundhogs ate them?????

Anyone complaining about rabbits or deer eating their lettuce, beets and turnips has only themselves to blame...afterall what do you expect when you plant the stuff that foods eat. :crazy:

When you think about it. People have been eating deer for about as long as there has been people and deer have been hunted for as long as there has been deer. With the exploding deer population in N. America people were going to start thinking about eating them. These people were going to discover that they had it in them all along.

I just can't wait until this seal problem on an Island off Nova Scotia spreads. If it does I hope the sealers refuse to go outside the current hunting grounds and leave those areas helpless. The anti seal hunters can try and manage it :roflblack: .

Yup. March is coming and with it the seal hunt will draw the usual crowd of protestors. I wonder how many of them have ever seen an adult seal. . . all 600 pounds of it with two inch canine teeth and and appetite for 20 pounds of fish per day. Maybe if we started showing some photos of the business end of a fully grown seal people would forget the "cute" little pups.

We had the same problem in miniature at my families cottage on the Trent. There was a local trapper who trapped muskrat and beaver. The cottagers would interfere with his traps. So he basically quit trapping except in out of the way places. In a few years do to the disappearance of cattails and bullrushes the rats stared using the banks a lot more. They would burrow in from the bank through the nice soft soil under the lawns along the waterfront. When some one would cut their grass in the spring they would collapse the tunnel and end up with their leg in a hole or the lawn would be all screwed up from the collapsed tunnels. The cry went out to get someone to trap the muskrats out. Guess what the trapper said?

Now if they want someone to get rid of the muskrats it will probably cost them 3 to 5 hundred bucks.

We had the same problem in miniature at my families cottage on the Trent. There was a local trapper who trapped muskrat and beaver. The cottagers would interfere with his traps. So he basically quit trapping except in out of the way places. In a few years do to the disappearance of cattails and bullrushes the rats stared using the banks a lot more. They would burrow in from the bank through the nice soft soil under the lawns along the waterfront. When some one would cut their grass in the spring they would collapse the tunnel and end up with their leg in a hole or the lawn would be all screwed up from the collapsed tunnels. The cry went out to get someone to trap the muskrats out. Guess what the trapper said?

Now if they want someone to get rid of the muskrats it will probably cost them 3 to 5 hundred bucks.

That story should be printed and framed. PRICELESS!

Isn't that like the citiots that buy rural land in Niagara (probably all of Ontario) and refuse to let hunter in. They Like to see the deer and bunnies etc. Next thing they know the animals are eating their perfectly manicured bushes and landscaped gardens...and aren't so cute and cuddly anymore.

Happens all the time. The tree huggers burn the trapper for his income opportunity. Then, later, the trapper becomes exterminator and makes the fools pay through the nose. Like they say, turn around is fair play.

Archived