preditor calls?

jones1234

kinda of a coincidence the tread on the size of the local coyotes i have been thinking bout trying to hunt them, i see more and more tracks out n about while in the bush and less and less small game in the niagara region. Has anyone ever tried to call one in with a predator call and if so how did it go, i am intrested in any tips and advice never attempted it before.

aswell does anyone own this product? i was going to pick it up

My link

kinda of a coincidence the tread on the size of the local coyotes i have been thinking bout trying to hunt them, i see more and more tracks out n about while in the bush and less and less small game in the niagara region. Has anyone ever tried to call one in with a predator call and if so how did it go, i am intrested in any tips and advice never attempted it before.

aswell does anyone own this product? i was going to pick it up

My link

Dead link bud

I've seen them when I have a leaf stuck to my boot in a tree stand and moved it ever so slightly. That would likely only work when they are already extremely close. There's a guy at the SC Game and Fish that hunts them and give you tips. If your serious I'll get his name and see if he'll be at the meeting on Monday

I'm out ever chance I get. I have calls out of the wazoo. One of my got to calls for long distance would be the Premos "Hot Dog". I think I paid $40 or so and came with a squealer. You can also get a rabbit squealer, which are not expensive, but very effective. Stay away from CT when it come to calls, they are mostly poor quality and cost more than the better calls.

I'm out ever chance I get. I have calls out of the wazoo. One of my got to calls for long distance would be the Premos "Hot Dog". I think I paid $40 or so and came with a squealer. You can also get a rabbit squealer, which are not expensive, but very effective. Stay away from CT when it come to calls, they are mostly poor quality and cost more than the better calls.

alright thanks for the tip, i just grabbed the quaker boy screamin cotton tail from dicks sporting goods the other day, i imagin it is probably pretty tricky to get a yote into shot gun range, but im going to give it a shot, someone was telling me the other day its better to set up in a bush that isnt to thick rather than tryn to call them across a field cause they feel more confortable in the bush apposed to in the open,i have many locations in mind where i know for a fact yotes are present, what do you find works best for you ???

I used to love my 22-250. Now I bring 2 shot guns with me, one with buck shot for walking the woods, and my fave for further distance is a Sabot rifled barrel shotgun with a 3x9 scope. The thing is, the areas I hunt I don't need to shoot 300+ yards anymore. I pretty good at calling so 200 yards is the max.

I would recommend a 2 3/4" 7/8oz rifled slug for smooth bore and 2 3/4" 300gr Hornady for Sabot barrel, I like the Remington sluggers. Don't be afraid that you won't get them in close, camouflage yourself into your surroundings, don't be afraid to use that squealer, keep calling till the cyote(s) are coming in your direction, and get ready to shoot. It all happens quick when the cyote is coming your way. I shot a bunch of cyotes at 10 yards, calling them in from 700-800 yards.

You'll have a blast. Cheers

I used to love my 22-250. Now I bring 2 shot guns with me, one with buck shot for walking the woods, and my fave for further distance is a Sabot rifled barrel shotgun with a 3x9 scope. The thing is, the areas I hunt I don't need to shoot 300+ yards anymore. I pretty good at calling so 200 yards is the max.

I would recommend a 2 3/4" 7/8oz rifled slug for smooth bore and 2 3/4" 300gr Hornady for Sabot barrel, I like the Remington sluggers. Don't be afraid that you won't get them in close, camouflage yourself into your surroundings, don't be afraid to use that squealer, keep calling till the cyote(s) are coming in your direction, and get ready to shoot. It all happens quick when the cyote is coming your way. I shot a bunch of cyotes at 10 yards, calling them in from 700-800 yards.

You'll have a blast. Cheers

yea i got a remington 870 express, dont have the rifled barrel, but if i can call them inside or around the 80 yard mark pretty confident I will be able to drop them,i didnt think what chili said was right, those preditor calls carry pretty far and can be supper loud, doesnt seem like it would be hard to cover a large amount of bush thanks for the info!!

The 22-250 swats them pretty good. This is a good time of year to hunt them fills the void between deer season and ice fishing to some extent. That’s why I took some interest anyway. :th_fudd:

yea i want to hunt them in niagara region, cant fire a .22 around here, going to try 12 ga slug

What's this about can't fire a .22 Centre-fire rifle??? Where does that come from? :nea: Outside of deer season I thought the only rifle restrictions would be nothing bigger than .270 calibre (.275 land-to-land)22-250 and .223 are standard coyote hunting fare.

.22 Lr is not a good choice of hunting yotes. Unless its within 30-50 yards, then you just might aswellse #4 buck which will take em down up to 60 yards maybe 70 if your a good shot.

To be clear,

We are talking .22cal centerfires. NOT rimfires.

.22-250

.220 Swift

etc

Even .204 Ruger

(I know not all exactly .22 Cal)

I'm not suggesting the use of .22S .22L or .22LR, which are all rimfire rifles.

Which Townships outlaw the use of rifles for coyote? or shooting rifles in general, where shotguns are allowed?

I think he was refering to 22 Caliber rifles in general not the 22L cartridge. There are many other cartriges suitable for varmit hunting in 22 calber .222 Remington, .223 Remington .222 remington .22-250 Remington .220 swift.

To be clear,

We are talking .22cal centerfires. NOT rimfires.

.22-250

.220 Swift

etc

Even .204 Ruger

(I know not all exactly .22 Cal)

I'm not suggesting the use of .22S .22L or .22LR, which are all rimfire rifles.

Which Townships outlaw the use of rifles for coyote? or shooting rifles in general, where shotguns are allowed?

Fort Erie does. Check the pinned post about Hunting maps or bylaws or something.

Was considering using the deer slugs between archery seasons but I'm not sure a CO would have appreciated that seeing as I didn't get a shotgun validation. Can you hunt coyotes with deer slugs?

From the Ontario Hunting Reg's below:

Firearms

In an area where there is an open gun season for deer,

moose or black bear, if you are the holder of a small game

licence you may not possess or use a rifle of greater

calibre or projectile power than a .22 calibre rim-fire rifle

chambered to .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle cartridges

or shells loaded with ball or with shot larger than No. 2 shot

(or if using non-toxic shot, you may not use steel shot larger

than triple BBB steel shot, or bismuth shot that is larger

than double BB bismuth shot), unless you possess a valid

licence to hunt deer, moose or black bear as the case may be.

NOTE: See proposed changes on page 4 regarding

firearms.

The holder of a small game licence may not use a rifle of

greater calibre than .275, except a flintlock or percussion

cap muzzle-loading gun, for hunting small game in

the counties of Brant, Elgin, Essex, Huron, Lambton,

Middlesex, Northumberland, Oxford, Perth and

Wellington and the regional municipalities of Chatham/

Kent, Durham, the former regional municipalities of

Haldimand-Norfolk and Hamilton-Wentworth, Halton,

Niagara, Peel, Waterloo and York and the City of Toronto.

I read that as saying you cannot use slugs for coyotes, as per the regs.

Directly from the Town of Fort Erie By-law, the definition of a varmint rifle is posted below:

C) Varmint Rifle - means ANY barrelled .22 calibre rifle, from which any shot, bullet, or missile can be discharged and that is capable of causing any serious bodily injury or death of a person including any frame or receiver of such barrelled weapon or anything that can be adapted for use as a firearm including the .22 calibre rimfire, 222, 223, .22 hornet, and the .22-250 rifle.

And the Town of Fort Erie restriction posted below:

(3) A low gauge firearm AND/OR VARMINT RIFLE may be discharged in the Town of Fort Erie save and except those prohibited areas as defined in schedule "A" annexed hereto.

No person shall dischage a LARGE GAME RIFLE in the Town of Fort Erie...period. However, the Town of Fort Erie defines a Large game rifle as being IN EXCESS of .22-250.

So, according to the way the town by-law is written, it sure looks like you are able to use a .22-250

what i meant was the area i hunt it would not be wise to fire a rifle, even if i where allowed just my personal opinion thats all, i dont hunt fort erie, and kevin i think you might have misunderstood the regs

Firearms

In an area where there is an open gun season for deer,

moose or black bear, if you are the holder of a small game

licence you may not possess or use a rifle of greater

calibre or projectile power than a .22 calibre rim-fire rifle

chambered to .22 short, .22 long or .22 long rifle cartridges

or shells loaded with ball or with shot larger than No. 2 shot

(or if using non-toxic shot, you may not use steel shot larger

than triple BBB steel shot, or bismuth shot that is larger

than double BB bismuth shot), unless you possess a valid

licence to hunt deer, moose or black bear as the case may be.

NOTE: See proposed changes on page 4 regarding

my understanding of that is that you can not have slugs while there is an OPEN deer/moose/bear season if you only have a small game licsense during that time, i dont think the wording of the regs speaks about anything for when the season is closed? so i assume it would be fine if aslong as the gun season was closed. If slugs where prohibited in an area where there was a gun season at all times it should not have been worded "open gun season" but rather "in an area where there is a gun season"

does that make sense to anyone else or am I crazy?

I was just answering to Dan's question about hunting with slugs between archery seasons. Can't do that until all open deer seasons are closed.

After deer hunting season, can't use anything bigger than .275 in those listed areas.

So in Fort Erie,

You can indeed use a rifle, however it is restricted to "varmint" rifles under their definition. .22-250 and less power, so a .223 would also be fine as well as a .204Ruger. Not sure how .222 Rem or .220 swift stack up though.

You can hunt coyotes with slugs or buckshot...as long as 1) either there is NO OPEN deer, moose or blackbear season...OR 2) unless you have a licensce for the firearm hunt for that season...I mean if you are legally huting deer with a shotty, and on a deer stand with your 870, and you have a small game liscence and a coyote comes marching by...Give'r some lead.

I knew we were restricted, down here, to a calibre limit of .275 (a .270 bullet is .277 but the land to land bore of the barrel is .275) I was unaware of any further calibre restrictions in the townships/counties/municipal by-laws. As I don't hunt coyotes (might change if there was a bounty) or anything else in this are with a rifle, I never looked into any of those bylaws...I'm only interested in firearms bylaws as they apply to turkey hunting. (Unless a coyote bounty is issued...then I might have incentive to get something suited for shooting coyote)

FW.

Thanks Kevin and Fishinjj. Ya I was talking about if I hunted during deer season but without having a shotgun validation tag it would be a problem for a CO but I also wanted to make sure it was cool to hunt them with a shotgun using a slug barrel with ammunition intended for hunting deer after deer closes. Looks like you both agree with my suspicions.

Archived