Lower Niagara Walleye

mford

Can anyone give me any tips on when the walleye are in the river? How I might fish for them from shore? And what they typically are looking for?

Thanks,

Me and a fishing buddy have only seen one in the summer but the are new to fishing the Lower Niagara.

Also, are the fish clean enough to eat assuming they are caught in the right season.

No offence but good luck askin that, kinda like asking guys where and what to use to catch specks. And to be honest,not really anyhwere from shore to consistantly catch them,most are just accidental.

you will have more luck on the upper, they are not caught often on the lower from which I have seen.

ive caught lots of eyes on lower river off shore!be careful because im pretty sure the season is closed pretty soon or if not now! i usually catch them on green jiggs tipped with minnow or just large shiners bangin bottom slowly as you would for bows!the queenston docks area is good! theres a few drifts that i use for eyes but im sorry im not givin them out! just go down and be patient you will find them like i did!average size is nice 3 to 5 pounds with the odd 9 or 10! awsome fish!good luck dude!

i fish the lower a lot throughout the summer and the eyes that i've caught have been acidental catches and even then....ive had more accidental skis than walleye....theyre tough

throw walleye divers after dusk from anywher on the lower,quenston to NOTL has a few spots to park & fish.The exact holes i have found from shore are for sale!!!Just joking but i cant share them.Good luck.

Fish where the trout are and pretend your fishing the detroit river. Google walleye stocking and you will see how many million fish you could be catching. Why do people over look the Niagara River it's the best in the world :)

Can anyone give me any tips on when the walleye are in the river? How I might fish for them from shore? And what they typically are looking for?

Thanks,

Me and a fishing buddy have only seen one in the summer but the are new to fishing the Lower Niagara.

Also, are the fish clean enough to eat assuming they are caught in the right season.

As for eating the fish from the lower niagara, check out the guide to eating ontario sportfish and see what it recommends for consumption. They are open, until Mar.1, but only one can be over 24.8in. The size restriction is to limit the catch of large females, seeing as they are grouping up for the spawn. Hopefully the same will be put in place for the upper niagara too.

Guys keep certain spots quite because they group up in certain areas. Most guys hit them accidentally on streamers and any other minnow imitation. Just put in time, and fish slow. Or if you're having a hard time you can go the easy way, and just drop a camera down...haha.

O.K. pickerel in the lower niagara is "NOT" an accident. I would argue the population of picks in the lower is much greater then the one in port dalhouse....which is also a good place to fish for them from shore. If you are fishing the lower just go out at the queenston dock, go at night fall and fish a three way with stick baits like bombers or original rap's and do the drift. Change sizes and colours often to find out what the fish want. That is a good start. Sometimes you want to fish those baits straight lined and not on the three way because the fish are suspended. If you can get out in a boat that changes everything because you can stay on top of them and search for them. From the boat you can drift spinners, drift jig spoons, drop shots them etc etc etc. My largest so far was a 7lbs pick caught 2 years ago in october on a jiggin spoon right out front of the dock basically.

Good Luck. Let us know if your efforts come through for you.

Later

Lushis

I don't think anyone ripped or mocked him, and I said "most" guys hit them accidentally. Way more guys are targeting steelhead on the lower, who end up catching incidental walleye. Few guys target them. There's lots there, just not many people targeting them, given the popularity of the steelhead fishing in the lower.

There were a couple guys that said they wouldn't divuldge their exact favorite locations/drifts, which on an open forum, is probably a good thing.

First off I was not rippping anyone!! I just think that people need to spend more time outdoors and put time in to find what works and where. I fish the niagara at the very least once a week year long for just about every seasonable fish and have been at it since I was knee high. From the fishing I have done,most of the eyes I have seen caught and caught myself have been accidental,meaning I see more when myself or other people are not targeting them from shore then when they are being targeted. Unless in a boat. I just don't think you can call it a sport when you paint a big red X on a spot and tell exactly how and when aswell. Kinda like opening up all the cheat codes for a video game! And I realize that this does not mean that people are guaranteed fish but I am willing to bet that once you post these kind of details that not just one guy actually asking the question is going to take your advice. Just think,40 members read this and 40 non members do the same and 20 actually follow your advice. Know what I mean?

If you guys will excuse me since I don't have a dog in this fight but the gentleman did not ask for locations/spots. He asked for tips on techniques, the time of year to fish for them and what the walleye are feeding on. You know, I googled Niagara River Walleye and got 80,900 replies. Cabellas ran a walleye tourny in the lower, Do you really think it's a secret? I don't think there's a need for a big bruhaha.

"Asking about walleye is like asking about specks"

I would agree but for different reasons. Specks are usually found in sensitive waters that don't fair well against the traffic internet can create. Walleye are the most popular fish to be caught and not returned to the water. They don't fair well against internet traffic either. Both reasons are responsible ones for not sharing "too much" info on an open forum but like the hammer said.......

Thanks Guys, you pretty much answered my questions.

I was not looking for actual spots although I do appreciate the areas mentioned, It is a big river and there is room for everyone.

Also, I posted about walleye because I do typically read the forums like so many others do and I figured it might be nice to add a different topic to the discussion. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing about Trout and Perch :) .

Niagara falls being such a tourist city, and walleye being such a popular fish, looking for info on the internet with keywords "Niagara" and "walleye" is a crap shoot.

As for being "ripped on", rip away, I was mainly looking for time of year so I can turn the random walleyes into targeted ones. I put a lot of time in on the river and am very happy to live so close to such a unique fishery.

Archived