Coyote Watch Elevated To "expert" Status

ninepointer

Yeah because that makes so much darn sense :o. Ever think perhaps them constantly building on the land that the coyotes were on first is causing the issue? I see coyotes near my place while walking my dog and I never am bothered by them. Shooting them isnt the solution, stop invading their land would be an easy fix but since that will not happen, perhaps a Trap spay return program would benefit. Honestly, what were the peoples lose dogs doing in the hydro field anyway? Should of been leashed or under control and not lose wondering. IMO that is. In the summer it MUST be the mountain bikers driving them to town...;)

Reading stuff like this just bothers me when will we all learn to live co-existantly with all these animals.

Rather then hit the edit button, I hit add reply..oops.

Autumn

Where were the coyotes 50 years ago? They weren't there. We are not encroaching on their territories. The eastern coyote is a new animal. Whose population has exploded since the 70's. Their territories have been expanding even faster than ours have. There is no peaceful existence with them. They are predators and they either fear you or you are food. Coyotes don't have morals or ethics they don't think in terms of live and let live. Quit thinking of them in human terms. Why should anybody have to fear for their pets or their children? There are plenty of legitimate reasons to let your dog off it's leash. For pete's sake dog's need to run around to stay healthy and so do children. Maybe we should provide people with lexan plastic bubbles that they can put their their kids and pets in when they are outside. That would certainly please the ARA nuts and control freaks that coming to dominate our society. I know how to accommodate yotes. That's with 100 grains of lead moving at 3200fps.

So what is the concensus...Should we be reporting these sightings to the city? I live by the intersection Drummond/McLeod and I have seen multiple coyotes travelling together as well as solos. Should I report them? I know the report I would like to hear when I see them. ;)

If this had been an elderly person or a child or even a handicapped person the results would not be so amusing. You can hear the alarm in the guys voice as the coyote persists and presses it's attack.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NqVE9qfg7yI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, the laws state dogs must be leashed. I dont follow it tho. Your right dogs need to run. I let mine off leash all the time but his recall is PERFECT. Dogs shouldnt be off leash unless they can be recalled. I understood the dogs that got attacked in the field were off leash and wondering with NO owner in sight. If I saw a coyote my dog would be recalled and put on a leash. I understood the coyotes were always here. As for getting attacked, you can walk outside tomorrow and get mauled by a mountain lion. You can get hit by a car. You could get shot. So should we just get rid of cars, guns and mountain lions too?

Lorne ....that yote is a little too tame for my liking . As was mentioned , it may be the camps mascot & is looking for a handout from the camera man . When I worked at the glendale gm plant I have seen a few yotes on the way to or from work . I saw a large dead yote at the skyway overpass , another on the traffic circle and when I hunted that area I saw one crossing the drained overflow pond near the Glendale bridge . That was about 30 yrs.ago , so they were plentiful in that area . The racetrack wasn't far away , maybe some food available to them there . My take on yotes in general ....too many yotes = less rabbits & game birds ....they must be controlled.

Yeah, the laws state dogs must be leashed. I dont follow it tho. Your right dogs need to run. I let mine off leash all the time but his recall is PERFECT. Dogs shouldnt be off leash unless they can be recalled. I understood the dogs that got attacked in the field were off leash and wondering with NO owner in sight. If I saw a coyote my dog would be recalled and put on a leash. I understood the coyotes were always here. As for getting attacked, you can walk outside tomorrow and get mauled by a mountain lion. You can get hit by a car. You could get shot. So should we just get rid of cars, guns and mountain lions too?

Hey Autumn. My neighbour's dog was attacked by a coyote while he held it on his shoulder. It was also on a leash! As hammercarp stated: "they either fear you or you are food". This is a good observation. You should know that we here don't want to get rid of coyotes. I actually find some quite beautiful and have passed up on shooting them in the field while hunting deer. Unfortunately you and I both need roads to drive on and our kids require housing so new roads and development get built where the coyotes roam. Either the coyote gets pushed out or it stays, stupid people feed it either intentional or not and the coyote loses its fear of people.

I agree we need to give our outdoors to the wildlife before our pets but lets be realistic. Coyotes that don't fear us will attack our pets and have been approaching small children. I'm glad you love them but whether you like it or not this is our home now and if they don't run they don't belong here. I have them in my backyard all the time but when my kids show up the coyotes run like lightning. I'm good with that but if they don't I'm pulling out the bow and taking them down. If you can't understand the concern then maybe you should stand out on your street in front of the reckless type drivers. Yes you can be killed by a car but we're still concerned and do our best to take "problem" drivers off the road :/

BTW if you get shot the shooter will be thrown in jail and we have got rid of mountain lions. If you see one roaming in Niagara Falls you post the location here and we'll light that part of the city up!

Yeah because that makes so much darn sense :o. Ever think perhaps them constantly building on the land that the coyotes were on first is causing the issue? I see coyotes near my place while walking my dog and I never am bothered by them. Shooting them isnt the solution, stop invading their land would be an easy fix but since that will not happen, perhaps a Trap spay return program would benefit. Honestly, what were the peoples lose dogs doing in the hydro field anyway? Should of been leashed or under control and not lose wondering. IMO that is. In the summer it MUST be the mountain bikers driving them to town...;)

Reading stuff like this just bothers me when will we all learn to live co-existantly with all these animals.

Rather then hit the edit button, I hit add reply..oops.

Are you from Toronto? Seriously you would consider this for our wildlife rather than kill selective problem animals?

If you have workable solutions to prevent us from invading their land I'm all ears and every municipality wants to know how to grow responsibly and leave as much space available as possible. They are trying. The solution is for us to stop breeding or die off all together. If you want to volunteer to go first feel free to step right up but myself I'm a survivor and plan to teach my kids to do the same. I'm also a communtiy man and hope we all survive as a unit and killing a few problem coyotes is no problem if that helps keep the neighbours kids safe. I'll be first to admit that many ignorant people over react when they see a coyote in the city but go tell those people with small children and that have had their dogs eaten how you feel.

Next time they go to build an apartment high-rise and all the NIMBY's come crying it doesn't fit in with the neighbourhood you go to city council and support that development. Fight to maintain what's left of their habitat. Don't knock those trying to control the consequences after the fact.

Lorne ....that yote is a little too tame for my liking . As was mentioned , it may be the camps mascot & is looking for a handout from the camera man . When I worked at the glendale gm plant I have seen a few yotes on the way to or from work . I saw a large dead yote at the skyway overpass , another on the traffic circle and when I hunted that area I saw one crossing the drained overflow pond near the Glendale bridge . That was about 30 yrs.ago , so they were plentiful in that area . The racetrack wasn't far away , maybe some food available to them there . My take on yotes in general ....too many yotes = less rabbits & game birds ....they must be controlled.

Bill what you are seeing is not a coyote acting tame. What you are seeing is how a coyote would attack a deer. They cannot kill large animals outright as they lack the size and strength. So they use use their quickness and they are relentless. Their prey succumb to exhaustion from many many bites and small wounds.

Even big timber wolves use these tactics on moose. There was a great article a number of years ago in a major outdoors magazine showing three timber wolves attacking a healthy cow moose in Alaska. It took them over 24 hrs to finally get it down. They even had pictures of the wolves licking the bloody snow and the moose browsing during a small break in the attack.

Coyotes are a nuisance and will always be a nuisance and they will always be around, so get used to them. They are more driven to the citys in the winter because there is a wide variety of food source for them, garbage, possums, rats, rabbits, your pets,, easy pickings for them! Another reason is the coyotes wonder more and keep on the move in the winter because for the obvious reason its cold! Summer you will see lets sighting of them closer to the city.

Coyotes are a nuisance and will always be a nuisance and they will always be around, so get used to them. They are more driven to the citys in the winter because there is a wide variety of food source for them, garbage, possums, rats, rabbits, your pets,, easy pickings for them! Another reason is the coyotes wonder more and keep on the move in the winter because for the obvious reason its cold! Summer you will see lets sighting of them closer to the city.

I got to shake my head at that statement. So will fleas and STD's. I think I would suggest buying a flea collar for your dog and wearing a condom when engaged in casual sex. Instead of "just getting used to it".

:lol: The reason you see less of them in the summer is simply because you see less of everything in the summer here. It's called foliage.

I completely agree with his statement as it pertains to the rural areas but not in the city. Never let your guard down because a wild animal is common and always will be :roflblack: and to those animal lovers who see them as equals to people make sure you give them fair treatment and don't be so dam bias. When people start acting overly aggressive and begin posing a risk to our pets and children we bloody well ban together and take care of it so don't brow beat us for being concerned about coyotes. Imagine if we stopped addressing the people who threaten our kids and pets because they'll always be here. Ya lets just get used to it <_<

The problem with Coyote Watch Canada is they are just so friggin Bias and outright lie in order to save coyotes. They say things that are just plain wrong and they know it but the want to sway public opinion. For that reason they should have never of been mentioned in the same sentence with the word expert. I really do believe they may be experts until they open their mouth and I wouldn't believe a dam word they say. To those who have seen them operate at a government level they are the biggest running joke out there but I wouldn't turn my back on them either. I mean come on at least with ignorance you have an excuse.

They have the knowledge and they do have their crap together but choose to protect coyotes at all costs including sacrificing the truth. I thought when they attacked the firearms bylaws instead of educating the ignorant maybe it was just a knee jerk reaction. I contacted them repeatedly asking about this attack and they still have not addressed it choosing to send emails to their supporters calling me a moron instead. I lost all respect I may have had for them at Regional headquarters when they suggested that because their vocalizations were down that they suspected their numbers were down. I'm no tracker but the coyote dung was everywhere that year, they were eating well and coyote sign was way up. That was the wettest year on record for many and grass was the highest I remember it. There was no need for coyotes to hide so finding each other didn't require as much calling either. THESE EXPERTS TOLD REGIONAL COUNCIL THEY SUSPECTED NUMBERS WERE DOWN! An outright unrealistic claim by a so called "Expert".

Here's the last email I send to coyote watch and they still haven't returned with an answer.

Dan Andrews to Coyote

show details 5/21/09

How do you tell scat that contains rabbit from that which contains mice? I find quite a bit of scat that looks like pure fur but contains skeletal remains of mice. I guessed 4 coyotes and one bark of a domestic dog in your second recording. I followed a coyote to its den at the golf course where they took 140+ yotes this spring. Next time I go I will provide the co-ordinates. Interestingly enough, this location is sometimes underwater in the spring.

I would appreciate if you would address my concerns over CWC's positioning around the No Discharge bylaws (Especially NOTL June 2008). I understand the CWC position at the Landfill in Grimsby but didn't appreciate B. Greenwoods crafty manouver at the Region but that wasn't your doing. Firearms discharge has been my main opposition to your organization and if we can come to an understanding, I may be able to provide you with a wealth of sightings, den locations, and just share my observations like the sunrise vocalizations in winter.

Seeing as you are a nonprofit organization, you must have a board which is to be accessable to the public. Could you please provide me with a list of names which composes the makeup of Coyotr Watch Canada? I work even nicer in person or over the telephone if you want to talk.

Yours in Conservation

Dan Andrews

Well so far we know Coyote Watch is comprised of Leslie Sampson and James (JIM) Brown. Will they ever come clean and divulge their board of directors or is that it? Will they ever address their attacks on the firearms bylaws. Never have, never will so lets just get used to it :roflblack:

Sometime last year I sent a polite e-mail (I was genuinely being sincere) to Coyote Watch, asking them to clarify the differences between what they are saying in their presentations and what MNR's biologists are saying. Essentially, the creature that Coyote Watch is describing looks and acts much like the coyote of the south west U.S., whereas MNR recognizes the eastern wolf influence (larger body size, pack hunting behavior, takes larger prey).

Guess what? I never received a response! Go figure! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I got to shake my head at that statement. So will fleas and STD's. I think I would suggest buying a flea collar for your dog and wearing a condom when engaged in casual sex. Instead of "just getting used to it".

:lol: The reason you see less of them in the summer is simply because you see less of everything in the summer here. It's called foliage.

I didnot set it out to be a statement, its a well known fact! Coyotes are a nuisance if you dont agree then try telling that to a farmer whos livestock go missing every night. One can only argue and say there on top of the food chain and good for population control , but thats a jokes because those who hunt Niagara know that we dont need anything else thinning the population on our game....urbanization has done enough of that!

Oh and i dont know how you went from talking about coyotes to stds and sex, thats different :roflblack: .

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Saw one run across Stewart Road last night ... was a solid size to it ... that makes 3 i have seen driving that road so far this year.

This is not a troll post.

I've been keeping an eye on the coyote thing ever since that girl got killed in Nova Scotia a few years ago, and been wary (but not really scared) when I go hiking in the woods. I'm not here to debate on wether or not the problem is stemming from humans encroaching on their territory, or wether there are now coyotes hybridizing with humans, or wolves or bears or aliens. My question is more along the lines of, what, if any protection do you guys bring out with you when in the woods? I'd personally be fine with a flamethrower (what animal isn't scared of fire?) or an AK47 myself, but unfortunately none of those are an option. A large stick to use as a club isn't necessarily going to be at hand at all times and certainly a coyote intent on making a meal out of me and using my underwear as a napkin isn't likely to give me time to find one just to even things up.

As far as I'm concerned a small knife might be limited to use at close range, as in, the thing already has a hold of your arm before you can jab it. I'm not asking for approval, or looking for suggestions of "get a sword to protect yourself", but having watched that video, the coyote was pretty ballsy if you ask me.

What I am asking, as previously stated, what, if anything do you guys bring out to protect yourselves when in the woods? And what is the legality of me carrying my machete for such a situation in an area such as the Shorthills (PP) or Wainfleet Bog (CA)? I know I've seen all the signs saying no firearms and whatnot, but never anything about knives wether large or small. I don't like to kill things (not anti-hunting incase you were wondering) and my first course of action in a situation like that would be to get the hell out if possible and avoid a confrontation, but if necessary I'd like to be prepared to defend myself. If that means giving it a slice across the nose to discourage it, or as a last resort, disembowelling the thing then so be it. Self preservation is a strong instinct in any animal, wild or not.

A walking stick or a couple of ski poles are a good option.

Speedytg

A hiking staff or stick with the hardened steel end, preferably, as it hurts good when you jab the yote. Pain is a good deterrent.

Archived