Coyote Watch Elevated To "expert" Status

ninepointer

This is not a troll post.

I've been keeping an eye on the coyote thing ever since that girl got killed in Nova Scotia a few years ago, and been wary (but not really scared) when I go hiking in the woods. I'm not here to debate on wether or not the problem is stemming from humans encroaching on their territory, or wether there are now coyotes hybridizing with humans, or wolves or bears or aliens. My question is more along the lines of, what, if any protection do you guys bring out with you when in the woods? I'd personally be fine with a flamethrower (what animal isn't scared of fire?) or an AK47 myself, but unfortunately none of those are an option. A large stick to use as a club isn't necessarily going to be at hand at all times and certainly a coyote intent on making a meal out of me and using my underwear as a napkin isn't likely to give me time to find one just to even things up.

As far as I'm concerned a small knife might be limited to use at close range, as in, the thing already has a hold of your arm before you can jab it. I'm not asking for approval, or looking for suggestions of "get a sword to protect yourself", but having watched that video, the coyote was pretty ballsy if you ask me.

What I am asking, as previously stated, what, if anything do you guys bring out to protect yourselves when in the woods? And what is the legality of me carrying my machete for such a situation in an area such as the Shorthills (PP) or Wainfleet Bog (CA)? I know I've seen all the signs saying no firearms and whatnot, but never anything about knives wether large or small. I don't like to kill things (not anti-hunting incase you were wondering) and my first course of action in a situation like that would be to get the hell out if possible and avoid a confrontation, but if necessary I'd like to be prepared to defend myself. If that means giving it a slice across the nose to discourage it, or as a last resort, disembowelling the thing then so be it. Self preservation is a strong instinct in any animal, wild or not.

Bring one of those pealess whistles they put in the boaters safety kits. If your really scared carry pepper spray. I don't carry anything. If they want me they'll get me but I'll put up one hell of a fight.

Bring one of those pealess whistles they put in the boaters safety kits. If your really scared carry pepper spray. I don't carry anything. If they want me they'll get me but I'll put up one hell of a fight.

Good advice Chilli. A fox 40 whistle is also good to signal if you are hurt, can be heard up to one km. For example if you twisted an ankle hiking.

Lakerunner

Good advice Chilli. A fox 40 whistle is also good to signal if you are hurt, can be heard up to one km. For example if you twisted an ankle hiking.

Lakerunner

Sorry to take this off topic, but even better than the Fox 40 for long range sound in the bush is the ACME THUNDERER. This is the chrome hockey whistle with a pea; the real Thunderer, not copy-cats. The Fox 40 is better than most, but it's higher pitch does not carry as far as the Thunderer. I only know this because our northern deer camp has for decades been using whistles as our primary means of communication while party hunting.

Good suggestions. I never thought of the bear spray or bangers. If the coyote has been hunted and gotten away, it might especially be wary of the bangers.

A Jabbing stick isn't a bad idea either I think most of the hiking ones actualy have tungsten carbide ends, its stronger and more wear resistant than steel. Even hardened steel.

The whistles though, while I agree they would be useful for summoning help, more people facing a coyote or two would likely be a deterrent, but other than that, would the sound do anything besides annoy the thing for a minute or two?

Anywho, thanks for the suggestions and if anyone has something to add feel free.

The way you talk of wear and tear makes it sound like you expect to fight off a pack of yotes and a grizzly every time you go out....Carry a knife(should always have one in the bush regardless)and a walking stick. If it really concerns you, a firearm where legal. Chances are if something is going to fight back it isn't going to expend the energy unless it's starving or rabid. Unfortunately I know of boards where the talk of bear defense can last for months on end, worrying about coyote attacks will just give you a heart attack worrying about every sound in the bush.

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

Wasp and hornet spray works as good as bear spray.

It shoots out about twenty feet or so.

Just don't put your smoke or lighter near it...

Well ... there you have the flame thrower. Myself I have only had 1 coyote interaction while out and about and I must have snuck up on it from the speed at which it bolted.

Well ... there you have the flame thrower. Myself I have only had 1 coyote interaction while out and about and I must have snuck up on it from the speed at which it bolted.

Ya now that's reality though. This is what most of these coyote huggers don't understand. Coyotes are extremely scared of us by nature. When humans get too close they run so fast that their back legs are in danger of passing their front legs :roflblack: . It's really funny to watch.

That's why when they act so bold it's completely out of character. Learning to just live with this is retarded! Take note something is a muck here and address it. If they get too bold it's time to get things back to their natural order before it spreads :th_fudd: . By learning to just accept it we may just be breeding a huge problem we won't be able to get rid of. Of course these animal rights people want to see a friendly bond form between us and our wildlife and have deer and bears visit the inside of our homes because we're all equals and can live in harmony :crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

I have no issues eliminating a problem coyote. But I just dont like to see people going out looking for them when they arent doing any harm and minding their own business. If a coyote came up to me and my dog, between to two of us we would be able to eliminate one. A pack? Prolly not we would be screwed. But as long as the coyote leaves ur kids, pets and you alone and its where its suppose to me and isnt looking for handouts I see no reason to kill it. Thats just my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I have no issues eliminating a problem coyote. But I just dont like to see people going out looking for them when they arent doing any harm and minding their own business. If a coyote came up to me and my dog, between to two of us we would be able to eliminate one. A pack? Prolly not we would be screwed. But as long as the coyote leaves ur kids, pets and you alone and its where its suppose to me and isnt looking for handouts I see no reason to kill it. Thats just my opinion.

I absolutely agree with that.

Archived