Little Doe Lake

Hendo

Hey guys heading up to Katrine,Ontario in 2 weeks with some buds to do some sledding was hoping to do a little ice fishing also, Was wondering if anyone knows of some good areas to check out the lakes i will be on are little doe and big doe, We will have the sleds thou so if there is a better lake near by you know of we could travel there also. Thanks

I lived 2 minutes from Doe Lake for several years and will say that the best ice fishing possibilities on Little Doe would be just West and a little South of the rock pile out from Katrine beach (park and boat ramp). Try 26 feet of water.

If going on Big Doe, try out from Gordon Deans Trail off of the 518 towards Sprucedale, good Pike water there.

A note of CAUTION. The narrows through Middle Doe do not freeze consistant and often have open water, be careful to go only where others have gone. Most lakes in that area have an abundance of slush on them this year as well...........Good luck and be safe..........Boog

Hendo: I have fished Both Big and Little Doe for the past 20 years or so mostly in the spring and fall for walleye Sorry to say it sure isn't what it use to be. There are still however a few spots that still produce fish On Big Doe you can try off Pickerel point at the end of Big Doe just off to the side of the entrance to the Narrows there's about 18+ feet of water there at the drop off used to be good for both Pike and Walleye (Big Minnows for the Pike)Farther down the Lake off the west side of the Big Island there is a nice drop off there (Used to be good some nice 34' holes in there ) or at the far end in the Bay Where the Baggsborough Creek flows into the lake is always good for a few Pike.

Hope this helps "HAVE A SAFE TRIP"

Here's a few pic's from last Spring

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/loopy251/Picture059.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc403/loopy251/Picture052Small.jpg

Hey guys thanks for the info. I know exactly where you guys mean. I did some ice fishing on it last year, just on little doe caught a white fish and some pike. Lots of people say the fishing has really died off compared to how it use to be. I wonder why, dose the lake have a lot of pressure in the summer?. I found out last winter about the narrows between big doe and little I was on the sled and went flying threw next thing I know I'm flying across on open water. Dumb move on my part should of asked myself why no sled tracks were there. Well I will deff check out those spots and hopefully I can get into them, any suggestions on what type of lures work good up there or is live bait best bet.

Over the years i have thrown just about everything at'em and always had best success with live baits mostly jig heads tipped with minnows or slowly Drifting worm harnesses when the winds co-operate in the spring and fall. For the Hard water nothing but minnow worked for me. As for fishing Pressure Both Big and Little doe get hit pretty hard both by tourists and locals in the summer months for Pike and Eye's as Little Doe has a high cottage and campground population probably explains why the numbers have dropped over the years like most places you just have to keep going farther north to more remote lakes to find the fishing we were used to years back.

Hope this Helps

Good Luck and Safe Trip.

There are quite a few people who catch and keep small Pickerel during the warm months. I have seen guys with half a dozen 10 to 12 inchers on a stringer, especially over by the West side of Reazin Island on Big Doe. Pi$$e$ me off but hey, I guess they figure they are there for a weekend and need a feed..................Boog

Yeah I hear yeah there. It's a shame the lakes have to end up like that we can only keep going north for so long. Thanks for All the info guys appreciate it . Just have to hope that with this warm spell were going to have there is still ice next week dosnt look good with temps in the 10-13 range.

Archived