Its 444 Walleye Tourney Time!

ninepointer

Trying to organize a tournament can be extremely difficult. It's hard to organize all the things that go into it such as food, prizes, payouts, volunteers etc. The reason why there is a cut off date is for two reasons. First, they want to have the commitment from the fisherman so last minute planning and scrambling doesn't have to take place. This way, they know how many people will be there, they know what the payout is going to be, they know how many volunteers are required to make the tournament run smoothly. Secondly, nobody know's how the fishing is going to be come June 25th. It could be great, it could be slow. Either way, we want the fisherman to commit and show there support for the tournament and the club regardless. It levels the playing field so to speak. If you start catching fish the day before the tournament, of course you'll want to enter! But we would like to have things organized from our end, prior to the day of. I hope I've explained this clearly enough for everyone, and I hope you decide to sign up for the tournament regardless, to support a great cause. But I also understand that we fish Lake Erie, and you must always expect the unexpected. The main goal of this tournament is for everyone to come out and have a great time and enjoy themselves and to be safe in doing so. And hopefully catch a fish or two!! :D

Cheers,

Guest Pike212

I understand your point, but it would be nice seeing a 5 day forecast before throwing $300 away if its real windy and miserable cuz I'd be going in an 18' boat as well.

Hey these details are worked out with those who truly want to see the tournament suceed. The PCDCC put the feelers out there and there were captains meetings which were also advertised here. Captains of teams big boat and small had a chance for input. It's too late to change things this year but perhaps next year more small craft captains will participate in these meetings. This tournament is ever evolving and caters to the participants.

Next year perhaps a suggestion would be to allow small craft the early bird discount until the week prior to the event however this will negatively impact the other planning. There has to be enough washrooms, food and BEER! I guess you have to decide if $10,000 min is worth the $300 gamble on the weather. If it's not start searching for a team without a full crew or start hitting up that one friend with the 20'+ boat to build a team before the earlybird deadline.

I'd love just for once to be part of a team instead of a volunteer. :pardon:

Thanks ,but i guess what im trying to say is that i would think by the tenth of June you should be able to see how many teams are committed. So at that point youve already established a good idea of whats needed across the board. I just remember back in the day there was a waiting list some years.It was affordable and fun even if you didnt place well,its all about the cost is what im getting at.Times are tough as of late for lots of people. If there was good weather forecasted to the weekend leading up to the tourney and 20 boats were added at 300 bucks thats 6 grand,remember this is casted out there on behalf of the smaller boat teams. I think youd have a better chance at attracting a few more entries if you lifted the cut off date. I dont think any of the commited teams would be against this.

If there's a small craft warning, they cancel it anyway. It happened last year. So if there's no small craft advisory, pop your gravol and toughen up.....like the rest of the committed teams! Different water conditions call for different tactics, that's what makes a tourney competitive.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. We listen to this kind of stuff and your comments will go into the discussions for next year. The matter of the early cut-off date was put to the anglers and the overwhelming response was, "The tournament should have done that a long time ago." The big boats might be able to go farther in a chop, but it wouldn't be the first time that the 444 was won in sight of Pt. Colborne, especially in June. The new structure will finally allow small boats to be in the running for the main prize. There's also the bonus $1000 prize for the biggest weight in a small boat. I'm sure were going to see some real surpises this year!

Once again thank you guys for your comments and we will consider them for next year but there will be no changing of the rules this year. The sign up dead lines will stay the same. The reason for the sign up deadlines is so we can properly plan the tournament. I know people wait for the weather and fish forcasts before the tournament in the past but it is not fair to a tournament, if we could change the date to when the fish and weather were plentiful we would do it. Now if we approached the tourament on the same actions as you are suggesting then the prize package would suck and there would be no fisherman. So what I'm saying is we are providing the venue and the guaranteed cash now it is time for the fisherman to fill the venue.

The comment of the tournament being too expensive you really have to look around at the other events, Scotty king of the lake is $600.00 a team for a 2 day event and a $10,000 first prize, Big jon has a one day tourn. for $800.00 a team and these costs do not inc. your slip for the weekend. Where can you fish a tourn. for $75.00 EA and it includes your boat slip and launch and have a chance to win $10,000?

The 444 is the cheapest tourn. on the great lakes with the best payout!

Thanks,

Chris Yalowica

chairman of the 444

The cut-off date is perfect and absolutely required, without it everyone would sit and wait until the day of to make a commitment (kinda like the last several years) because you knew it wasn't going to be a full field. This is the way it must be done to build a successful tournament... and the $300 entry is cheap...especially when docks and launch is included...hats off to Chris for turning this thing around.

Definitely a BIG thank you and a huge pat on the back for Chris Yalowica who single handedly has turned this tournament around!! :worthy: Things are looking great guys, and don't forget to tune into 91.7 GIANT FM to hear the radio advertising for the tourney. This thing is going to be big guys, DON'T MISS OUT!!!! $10,0000!!!!!! ;)

That is good that the tournament has that many entries as last year ,this soon.Once guys,girls fish the 444 and see the prizes and the fish that are being caught and the things you can learn from the older guys,helps out. I have learned alot being in the 444 the past 4 years as every year you learn something new about the walleye on lake erie.

Hope everyone releases those big fat females :Gonefishing: Or better yet can't wait to see who keeps those big fat tumor filled females :roflblack: catch 22 anyway you play it.

Always turing topics into jokes and slapping little rolling smily faces on posts.

Anyone with a bit of a fisheries/natural resource background will tell you that harvesting spawning fish from one specific spawning location has a drastically bigger effect on the fish.

I doubt anyone in the 444 is going to anchor in a 100 square foot location and bounce cameras on the fish's heads.

Speaking of the 444, if you don't come in with a winning box are you going to show up at the scale?? Now there's something to slap a smily laughing guy on.

I have been approached by AIM to turn this tournament into a qualifier and make it CRR tournament. I don't think our generation at this end of the lake will be able to take that drastic of a change on a tournament just yet. It is a thinker though.

Anyway thanks guys for keeping the chatter alive on the tournament, we are seeing a couple of entries come in every week and I think next year we have to be able to sign up on line with a credit card!

We will improve every year until we are back to 200 teams again!

What do you guys think of $25,000 guaranteed in year 25?

That is Al P quest and I think it’s a good one, something to look forward too!

CY

The one we are fishing in Detroit next week is catch and release. Aim tourny is catch photo and release and then estimated weight good luck trying that with the 444. Most bass and walleye tournies are all catch and release especially the big ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived