Beautiful White Deer

Well I had an aunt mail me this clip about a story of white deer in Wisconsin. There was a segment in the middle about the laws protecting them and a part about people feeding them that got my back up a bit but otherwise it's an amazing story.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=inwi10s22a3q81f

Imagine a state treating an animal different based only on colour but that's the way America deals with the whole world so no surprize there I guess :pardon:

Maybe the state protects the white deer because they are "rare" . If they put them in the same rule book as reg.deer , I think the trophy hunters would clean them out in no time . When I was a young hunter we shot a white bluebill duck which we gave to the ministry to study & I believe they had it mounted . I would not shoot that duck these days for the same reason as above . As long as these deer are healthy , I would like to see them run free and shot with cameras . (gettin soft in my old age of 77):santa:

White deer are "rare" only in the sense that they possess what is essentially physiological defect. They are not a different subspecies. I don't agree with special protection in such circumstances, but I can see why it is sometimes done to appease public opinion where citizens' emotional reactions outweigh science in the minds of politicians. If THE MAN says I'm not allowed to shoot a white deer (or a white moose in Foliet, Ontario), I won't lose sleep over it. I've got enough hunting opportunities for normal examples of the species.

If we started catching rainbows in the river with deformed tails, we would not demand special protection for them, would we?

Maybe the state protects the white deer because they are "rare" . If they put them in the same rule book as reg.deer , I think the trophy hunters would clean them out in no time . When I was a young hunter we shot a white bluebill duck which we gave to the ministry to study & I believe they had it mounted . I would not shoot that duck these days for the same reason as above . As long as these deer are healthy , I would like to see them run free and shot with cameras . (gettin soft in my old age of 77):santa:

White deer are "rare" only in the sense that they possess what is essentially physiological defect. They are not a different subspecies. I don't agree with special protection in such circumstances, but I can see why it is sometimes done to appease public opinion where citizens' emotional reactions outweigh science in the minds of politicians. If THE MAN says I'm not allowed to shoot a white deer (or a white moose in Foliet, Ontario), I won't lose sleep over it. I've got enough hunting opportunities for normal examples of the species.

If we started catching rainbows in the river with deformed tails, we would not demand special protection for them, would we?

I gotta agree with NP. I have no experience nor knowledge of white deer, but I know of the white moose in Foliet. Guess what...If I saw a white moose in the area I hunt (WMU 28 - Kirkland Lake)and I had a tag valid for the sex...I'm sure it'd taste the same. They are not a subspecies, they have defective gene that makes them white....aka freaks. I'm sure they wolves aren't particular either.

FW

As NP stated , and I always take his knowledgable answers seriously , there would be a big public backlash on hunters in general . The word "rare" has many meanings and can be translated to mean freaks of nature , or mutations etc. There are albino humans and they are just missing a gene pigment and no ,you can't shoot them ! I honestly can't say ,if a big white moose appeared in fromt of me during my younger moose hunting days , I would have the "other white meat" on my table . :D But as in my first answer suggested , I would not want to see hunters target these white deer because they are so "different " in appearance .

I don't know if I would {or could) shoot a white Deer or Moose. Just imagine the flack and hate mail it would generate from peta types or anyone sympathetic to "special" critters. My.02..............Boog

I don't bow to the peta types and could really care less if they made a stink. If i knew it would bother them and I had a white deer and a normal deer in front of me I'd take the white one in spite. That's what their non scientific over emotionally charged blathering results in. I never had any interest in hunting coyote until the coyote defenders/watch pissed me off.

I don't hunt to kill. I hunt to eat but I hear ya smerch. There are plenty of trophy hunters who would intentionally target them for a wall mount. They don't understand these deer any more than the sympathizers. With that said I also understand that if this population is unique to an area they would want to maintain it as a part of the communities identity.

Shall I clarify my post??? I wouldn't TARGET a white moose (or deer)or any other "mutation" or "freak" of the species. Hell I don't even target bulls (I apply for a cow tag for various reasons). But IF I was hunting and it was a white animal that happened to step out at the right/wrong time...Such an opportunity would not be passed.

You don't have to go advertising/bragging/posting pictures on the internet or facebook of your kills. No backlash needs be had.

Oh ya and FCUK PTEA

FW

Archived