Upper Niagara River Ice Report

Dan Andrews

034.JPG

As long as your beneath the boom it's clear except the Canadian shoreline. East winds have it pushing around the end of the boom

044.JPG

There are thousands of cormorants building nests here right now.

029.jpg

Kayaking through this ice was inspiring. It is so beautiful but dangerous right now

053.JPG

Meanwhile back at the creeks.....

014.JPG

018.JPG

I plan on making this an annual paddle. If any experienced kayakers want to go with me during the next trip let me know. There is an extreme amount of energy built up behind that boom that could let go any second so if your not comfortable with death stay well back. :crazy:

I'm definitely not promoting putting your life at risk so if your going to attempt something like this make sure your very comfortable in heavy currents and keep your eye on the sky and a wet finger in the air sailing-003.gif.

Later that day I crossed over to talk to the yanks straight over from Nicholl's. The gentle East wind had turned SouthWest and the ice was shooting by in huge sheets. There's a lot of energy built up on that boom and a slight South breeze could send an ice sheet over it in a flash. Many of the boom vessles were held underwater by piles of ice. Some of the ice formations ran deep but many only 5-6 inches thick, well more than needed to capsize your kayak. :unsure:

027.JPG

037.JPG

On the other hand you got a barrier that holds ice 10 feet thick as it's all piled up which creates a current break. The water beneath it all is moving and in the summer I lose ground paddling my hardest but because of this wall of ice there is a calm flat upwelling as long as you stay close. I wouldn't dare anchor a kayak there in the summer as the current would likely pull me under but right now if weather conditions are just right you can stop beside a boom and barely move at all.

029-2.jpg

The south west winds are very strong here in St. Kitts this morning . Those barriers will be taking a beating . There is a web cam to see the ice boom , I'll check Google to find it ...

Boom looks open.......

http://www.iceboom.nypa.gov/files/148.144.217.151_0004.jpg

Archived