Lower Niagara River Conditions

jsummerfield

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report from the cable car platfo as of 3:15 pools open lots ice some open drifts on sides out fron looks tough I'll be here tommorow

Yay! Thanks Chilli!

Fished the lower today (will post grip and grin pics and post separately) and there was medium ice flow and 4-5 feet visibility. Very fishable.

Good morning everyone.

This is my first post. I have fished the lower Niagara numerous times and I must say that I have been impressed with the quality and qauntity of fish there. Primarily I fish from the Queenston docks, although it seems to be quite busy and there is getting to be too much garbage for my liking. Untill now I have been a shore fisherman only. I do hope to get out in a boat sometime this spring.

I'm gonna try further up river next week. Not sure exactly where yet. I'm going to be bringing a buddy who has never fished the river. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight on the whirlpool, i.e. how to get there and the easiest way down? I will be trying the Canadian side only.

Vesko is right, a net is a must, and be very careful when walking the ice along shore.there are deep cracks that will swallow a leg. Went through 1 this morn down the glen, didn't get hurt or anything, just a soaker, packed up right away and left.

Water was clear clear, and little ice. Had 1 laker follow my line in, turned away came up to the surface and then went down and out to the middle.

I don't ever bring a net, and typically won't drift somewhere I can't land a fish without one. But without waders landing a fish off the ice shelf can be tricky. Don't get too comfortable leaning off the side of the shelf with your net either, don't wanna go in head first when it gives way =D

Well made it down this morning about 8ish, water was at little low, visibility (with my berkley polarized glasses lol) was 10' easy. A lot of ice floating around, was a bit of a pain landing fish, reaching down off a 3' ledge of ice laying down and fighting through ice chunks, but managed 5 total, 4 lakers and a rainbow.

Well made it down this morning about 8ish, water was at little low, visibility (with my berkley polarized glasses lol) was 10' easy. A lot of ice floating around, was a bit of a pain landing fish, reaching down off a 3' ledge of ice laying down and fighting through ice chunks, but managed 5 total, 4 lakers and a rainbow.

Sounds like you had an Awesome day!

Congrats

With Vis at 10' are you going super light & natural?

I ask ...because you know.

*SMILES* thx 4 the report

Archived