Lower Niagara River Conditions

jsummerfield

Anyone fishing the lower river or any where from shore, please be careful on the ice ledge. That's 2 that have gone through now, myself and blair. Lucky we both made it out safe, but it won't always be the case. Watch where you step, you never know.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made the trip down the Glen this am and virtually unfishable with ice. Likely won't be getting any better with the warmer temps on the way???

Watch for south/west winds. Even though Erie is frozen a strong s/w will raise water levels in the river, and breaks off shore ice, which breaks off more shore ice, thats why the ice flows seem never ending sometimes down there.

Hey guys, lets keep this thread for water quality on the river only and keep the fishing reports from there in the Niagara Steel forum. I get :deadhorse: on a daily basis from whiny Niagara River Steelheader suckholes about allowing backgrounds and that's one of the reasons I created the new forum. Lurkers can't read it and there is a minimum number of posts before you can even go in there (now 15). So if you post pictures with backgrounds in there and someone cries us a new river over it I'll just ban them from our site and they can go join the Y&R website instead. Sorry to the new guys but you'll just have to earn your way in there. Please don't post obvious backgrounds of the Niagara River in the fishing forum or the whiny noise will keep my headache going :thx:

Please don't reply to the picture posting rant above. Lets just keep the water clarity/fishablity reports coming on this thread so guys coming a long distance can start working on their minimum post count :P

Hey guys, lets keep this thread for water quality on the river only and keep the fishing reports from there in the Niagara Steel forum. I get :deadhorse: on a daily basis from whiny Niagara River Steelheader suckholes about allowing backgrounds and that's one of the reasons I created the new forum. Lurkers can't read it and there is a minimum number of posts before you can even go in there (now 15). So if you post pictures with backgrounds in there and someone cries us a new river over it I'll just ban them from our site and they can go join the Y&R website instead. Sorry to the new guys but you'll just have to earn your way in there. Please don't post obvious backgrounds of the Niagara River in the fishing forum or the whiny noise will keep my headache going :thx:

Please don't reply to the picture posting rant above. Lets just keep the water clarity/fishablity reports coming on this thread so guys coming a long distance can start working on their minimum post count :P

Thanks.

Sorry if there was problem - no harm intended!

I thought the pool was "excempt"

Will use STEEL forum.

Anyone knows if the lower niagara river still rises and fall during this time of the year?

I know the city will be releasing more water during mid spring tourist season eventually causing the river depth to rise and fall.

I have not been there since November, the level then was more constant.

The water is still fairly constant right now. I was at queenston yesterday and visibility was not good. I'd say less than 1" vis. no ice chunks floating, and the shelf is dangerous right now, can't tell where the shore stops and ice begins. Be careful out there!

I was at the lower on Thursday and visibility was good, but the bite was a little slow. We managed 1 rainbow and one brown with visibility around 5 feet maybe?

Either way... was great to go fishing when the temp is above zero finally :)

jon

Archived